Nosler Handgun in 444

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
Gents (and Ladies if you're on the board),

I'd like to hear thoughts from the community on loading Sporting Handgun HP bullets in the 444. I have a number of 240 grain pills and a small amount of brass to play with.

Powders? I've read H-322, but I don't have any of that. I do have some RL-7, which I would assume would work just fine.

Load? Nosler doesn't have anything on the 444 on it load data site.

Uses? I'm a little worried it might blow up on deer. Coyotes? Woodchuck?

Thanks all!

KinleyWater":1hoi8dwd said:
Gents (and Ladies if you're on the board),

I'd like to hear thoughts from the community on loading Sporting Handgun HP bullets in the 444. I have a number of 240 grain pills and a small amount of brass to play with.

Powders? I've read H-322, but I don't have any of that. I do have some RL-7, which I would assume would work just fine.

Load? Nosler doesn't have anything on the 444 on it load data site.

Thanks all!
Hello!
You are correct in thinking that the majority of handgun 240 gr bullets will explode inside a deer, etc...
It is better to get a stout 265 gr, or 270 gr bullet that is made for the 444.
I would highly suggest, if you want to use a 240 gr to 250 gr bullet, to look at Beartooth bullets hardast gas check bullets. They won´t explode, but will mushroom nicely at 444 velocities, lets say within the 2200 fps to 2350 fps.
Now, just a suggestion look at the other weights that Beartooth offers, like say, 280 gr, and that will be a good all around bullet weight to take any critter on this continent.
You won´t have to worry about bullet and core separation, plus you will have plenty of knock down power for even the meanest, biggest bears if you happen to hunt in any of those areas.
Sizing suggestion with Beartooth bullets, go with .432, to fill the whole bore, and get as much accuracy as possible.
You´re going to love the.accuracy of the 444 as well. It´s not uncommon to have bullet holes touching at 100 yds.
You can safely get 280 gr bullets up into the 2200 fps area.
Also, look at other powders such as IMR 4198, H4198, they are the bread and butter powders for the 444. H335 is another good one, along with your H322.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

RL 7 is a great powder for the 444. I shoot it w/Speer 270gr flat point at 2135 fps, .485" @50yds. 46.5 got me to 2223 fps. My barrel is 24"

I think the Nosler 240 gr JHP is a fantastic bullet for the 44 Rem Mag in a handgun and is pushing the upper limits of the bullet in a rifle. Upping the velocity to the 444 Marlin is going to spell trouble, especially if you hit a shoulder of a deer or bear.
I agree with the others and would use a heavier bullet.

JD338

KinleyWater":30brt0uf said:

Thanks all!

KW, Don't worry - Life is too short to worry!
And deer ain't that hard to kill.

While I'm a proponent of heavy for caliber bullets,
Just find out for yourself. You have the components.
Load up some 240s, sight-in and shoot a deer.
Will be real world without us speculating on the outcome.

Post us the results, wont be speculation for future shooters.

I do know of one fellow that loaded 240 gr I think they were Sierra HP in a 444 Marlin for his grandson to deer hunt with for inside 100 yard usage. He loaded them WAAAAY down with Accurate 5744 to 44 mag velocities and they worked as a low recoil deer getter. In my experience using the various 240 gr 44 bullets in sabots for muzzle loaders when impact velocity gets over 2000 fps you start to have jacket separation and lower penetration problems. The only bullet that I have experience with for higher velocity that works the best is Nosler's 240 Partition.

Swift offers their A-Frame in heavier weights for the 444.
I would also look at these for reliable expansion and penetration on big game.

The old 250 gr Nosler Partition Gold would be excellent for the 444 Marlin but Nosler quit making them several years ago. If you can find some, grab them.

JD338

38657e8572389e01c534767ccf247acb.jpg

f02921544df90dac94773d428ae5de42.jpg

Had my 444 out to the range today and tried some 300gr Hornady XTP with H335. Bottom is 3 shots at 50grs and top is 51grs. It’s only 50yds, but shows some promise.

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I have some 270 grain Deep Curls that will probably be the go-to for my loads, but I will still load some of the 240s just to see what they do. When I find out, I'll try and remember to take some pictures to post.

Thanks again!

Back