Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alaska again
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:59 am 

We loaded and shipped our container just before the virus response went nuts.
Share the container with a good friend who has a very successful bear hunting out fit on the Peninsula, we know the container arrived but since they canceled Spring Bear nothing has been moved or inspected. We’re a little apprehensive about that chore.
The Governor allowed the villages/boroughs off the road system to make their own rules about people coming in. Com fish pushed back pretty hard but there are still a lot of hoops to jump through.
Penn/Raven air went belly up, Alaska air is picking up some of the slack in July, peak of the commercial season. August and September however there are only two Alaska flights per week.
A group is trying to buy Penn/Raven that will help.
While most lodges have cancelled their seasons most of our guests have hung on with the exception of early June.
Governor has lifted restrictions, except for two week quarantine. Rumor has it that must go away for the Penn/Raven deal to go through.
We are hopeful we can have a season, I’ll keep you posted.
The snow line at home went up enough I was able to get some firewood off a friends place, I was getting concerned.
Had about 150 pounds of help from the neighbor boys getting 3 cords split and stacked yesterday.
Attachment:
IMG_3602.jpg
IMG_3602.jpg [ 571.97 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3602.jpg
IMG_3602.jpg [ 571.97 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments:
IMG_3593.jpg
IMG_3593.jpg [ 499.46 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]
Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Alaska again
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm 

The trick is you just have to keep their belly full! That in itself can be a project.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm 

The trick is you just have to keep their belly full! That in itself can be a project.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm 

salmonchaser wrote:
We loaded and shipped our container just before the virus response went nuts.
Share the container with a good friend who has a very successful bear hunting out fit on the Peninsula, we know the container arrived but since they canceled Spring Bear nothing has been moved or inspected. We’re a little apprehensive about that chore.
The Governor allowed the villages/boroughs off the road system to make their own rules about people coming in. Com fish pushed back pretty hard but there are still a lot of hoops to jump through.
Penn/Raven air went belly up, Alaska air is picking up some of the slack in July, peak of the commercial season. August and September however there are only two Alaska flights per week.
A group is trying to buy Penn/Raven that will help.
While most lodges have cancelled their seasons most of our guests have hung on with the exception of early June.
Governor has lifted restrictions, except for two week quarantine. Rumor has it that must go away for the Penn/Raven deal to go through.
We are hopeful we can have a season, I’ll keep you posted.
The snow line at home went up enough I was able to get some firewood off a friends place, I was getting concerned.
Had about 150 pounds of help from the neighbor boys getting 3 cords split and stacked yesterday.
Attachment:
IMG_3593.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3602.jpg

It will be interesting for sure with the Penn Air deal. We are forced to use the service here in SE that has made the offer, and they sucked before COVID. I cannot imagine them operating Penn. Total County Fair. Everyone in the tourist business here is also waiting. And waiting. Our local city government would just as soon shut everything down and reap the benefits of the various handouts. Sad. Good news is that it’s been an awesome Spring weather-wise and the king fishing has been good. We have a little work, really fortunate.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:38 pm 

They’re great young men, hustle all day. The older one has been taking care of my place for two years, he was the size of his brother when he started. Little brother works just as hard.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:20 pm 

The only thing I find scarier then a public official with a guaranteed paycheck telling me I don’t need to work is a public official, guaranteed pay check protected by armed public servants.
They are kinda trying to do the same thing in King Salmon. Weird logic, com-fish is ok, 5000 fishermen and Canary workers are good, a couple 100 sport fishermen are sure to bring Covid.
Penn Air was bad, so bad it was almost funny, never have I experienced such horrible customer service, then they were purchased by Raven. Literally people waiting while the clerk pops her bubble gum and giggles on the phone.
Then there were the canceled flights, hard to imagine air service could get worse.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:48 am 

salmonchaser wrote:
The only thing I find scarier then a public official with a guaranteed paycheck telling me I don’t need to work is a public official, guaranteed pay check protected by armed public servants.
They are kinda trying to do the same thing in King Salmon. Weird logic, com-fish is ok, 5000 fishermen and Canary workers are good, a couple 100 sport fishermen are sure to bring Covid.
Penn Air was bad, so bad it was almost funny, never have I experienced such horrible customer service, then they were purchased by Raven. Literally people waiting while the clerk pops her bubble gum and giggles on the phone.
Then there were the canceled flights, hard to imagine air service could get worse.

Heck, they don’t even need to be on payroll to get drunk on power. Our council is volunteer and there is no local LE.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 am 

salmonchaser wrote:
They’re great young men, hustle all day. The older one has been taking care of my place for two years, he was the size of his brother when he started. Little brother works just as hard.

That's terrific! They look like good wood-stackers! Having them take care of your place is teaching them responsibility. That's a good thing.

Hope your season goes well. I almost booked another fly fishing trip with Tom & Katie out of Cordova but decided not to do so this year.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:56 am 

Learning accountability is what their parents are after.
They have a schedule to keep, they have to call to change their mowing day.
They file an end of watch report, I’ve been advised they need motor oil for the lawn mower and mix oil for the weed eater.
They have to keep track of their hours, turn those in to mom to get paid.
Tools are cleaned, including lawnmower before putting them away.
They don’t think Governor Kate Brown even knows 2/3 of Oregon is east of the Cascades. Little one opines she probably doesn’t even know the difference between a donkey and a mule....but she should. Funny kid.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:51 am 

Sorry about the problems you are experiencing in regards to your yearly trek north. I hope you get there this year.

Can you leave the container there for a year without a problem or would you bring it back if you decide not to go ?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 am 

Unfortunately that won’t work. About 1/2 the stuff would be fine but the rest of it would suffer. Even if we can’t fish we will need to unload and store, or donate items. Looking like we will be able to work July and August now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:00 am 

Well we are here, Bristol Bay, hoping things start settling down soon down south.
The State has changed the requirements for opening several times. We’ve been lobbying the governor that quarantine does not work, has not worked, and given Alaska’s short summer based Fishing and construction economy will not work. Of course the states data reflects this as recent outbreaks have been linked to recent arrivals, not tested, who were to quarantine but were working. He spent a couple of days in Anchorage as well as talking to leaders in Bristol bay showing that short term pre departure testing appeared to be much more effective then supposed quarantine.

In any event we have a couple of groups coming out for the opener, June 8, but June will be slow.
July and August look good with about 70% of our base planning to arrive as scheduled.

Spring Bear will be moved to Spring 2021; there will also be a fall season 2021 and spring Bear 2022. Residents were able to hunt spring this year and did well. If you got canceled I’d get on the horn to your outfitters right now.

Have a great summer

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am 

Nicely done SC. That is some big timber.
I sure could have used those boys around here!

JD338

Attachments:
IMG_20190611_123205487(1).jpg
IMG_20190611_123205487(1).jpg [ 5.42 MiB | Viewed 1561 times ]

Noslers Rock
Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:54 am 

That’s a hell of a log deck. I’d love to trade some red fir or tamarack for maple or oak.
Not much in the way of hardwoods in the Blue mountains.

First guests arrive today; river opens tomorrow. The arrivals have all received a clean Covid and are Alaska residents. Per our contract they will test in Anchorage airport as well, results will email here. We have a cabin set aside for anyone who tests positive after they arrive.

River looks great, rainbows are active-feeding on smolt. Commercial fishing is forecasted to be moderate, more escapement upriver to spawn. That’s good for us. We won’t start fishing for salmon until the last week of June.

Hoping this all comes together.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg [ 415.53 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg [ 415.53 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_3634.jpg
IMG_3634.jpg [ 478.09 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]
IMG_4175-1.jpg
IMG_4175-1.jpg [ 107.51 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]
IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg [ 100.51 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg [ 76.02 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]

Last edited by salmonchaser on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:32 am 

Definitely looks as if you are in Alaska. Excellent photos. Nice, bright fish and bears. BTW, that first bear is a handsome brute.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:37 am 

We’ve got a couple of lodges trying to open up this week against tremendous pressure from a group of very vocal locals. Some of them are shaming the fire chief for not wearing a mask when out and about, that’s how crazy they have become. Then, par for the course...one of the out of state lodge owners brought in a cook who tested positive. Our first case. So now the whole crew is exposed. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and the places can try to piece together some sort of a season.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:39 am 

We were requiring a 72 hour test before the state was. Now our guests have to have a test in Anchorage as well. If everyone tested before they came up the odds would be greatly reduced Covid gets in.
Big fear is Com.Fish and the processors.
Three cases so far associated with lodges, thirty some in the last week for Com Fish. None of the cases tested prior to coming up.
We’ve also contracted to have our guests flown out from Anchorage instead of using Alaska Air, further reducing their exposure.
The most amazing aspect of Covid in Alaska is the resistance to the lodges opening while Com fish must open. The reality is it is simple to limit the exposure of guests to the community, impossible to limit exposure with Com Fish.
We hope that there are no sudden big spikes, pretty certain the state will shut us down.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 am 

Fished the Alagnak today, the rainbows are a little skinny yet, but like the bears, they’re going to be packing it on all summer.
Attachment:
IMG_3657.jpg
IMG_3657.jpg [ 299.36 KiB | Viewed 1375 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_3659.jpg
IMG_3659.jpg [ 121.08 KiB | Viewed 1375 times ]
Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:16 am 

Wow. Very nice!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 am 

Beautiful country! Looks like the fishing is pretty good. Those bears look to be good sized too.
Have fun and stay healthy.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:15 am 

Yes!

I'd love to be back up there again this year, but that's not going to happen. Keep sending the great photos so we can enjoy via our computer screens.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:19 am 

Still big questions if the season will last; Arctic Grayling from No tellum creek
Attachment:
IMG_3661.jpg
IMG_3661.jpg [ 116.66 KiB | Viewed 1360 times ]

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am 

Good looking grayling. They have saved many days on the streams for me. Love catching and releasing these beautiful fish.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:21 am 

Attachment:
IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3662.jpg [ 320.65 KiB | Viewed 1336 times ]

Another Grayling, never seem to be able to pull out the iridescent colors.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next