Ambidextrous rifle in 338 Fed or 358 Win or ?

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I have been asked to help an adult "city dweller" to get started in hunting. In thinking about it I realized I no longer have any right handed deer rifles. The only right handed rifle I have is a .22-250. The only ambidextrous rifle I have is the Marlin 1895MXLR in 450 Marlin which I wouldn't want to start a new hunter on.

I already have a 270 Win, a 7mmRM, and a 300WSM (all left-handed) so I am thinking a mild mid bore such as a 338 Fed. or 358 Win. would be a nice addition to my collection and could serve as a starter or loaner rifle for guests. Fall back cartridges would include 7mm-08 or 308 Win. While the 7mm-08 or the 308 Win. would be great cartridges for a beginner, I don't feel that these expand my cartridge selection. A third option, for which I might have a greater chance of finding something, is to go to a smaller bore such as 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Rem. I already have 260 Rem. pistol and reloading dies. But, my heart is not in going smaller.

The only ambidextrous rifles I can think of right now that might be chambered in these types of cartridges are Ruger #1 and Browning BLR.

Suggestions, recommendations, thoughts, and comments are requested. Thank you.

Dan

Another option would be a single shot like a T/C encore. They are a step up from the lesser expensive single shots, make an excellent muzzle loader and turkey shotgun. They can also stretch the gambit of hunting rounds from mild to wild.

A BLR or savage 99 in 308 would be hard to beat too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The henry Long Ranger deserves a look. can be had in 243, 308 and 6.5 Creed. the BLR is the only production rifle chambered in 358 and Savage is the only producing 338 rifles. They do chamber their MSR(AR10 pattern) in 338 that would work for your ambi purposes

Second the Savage 99. Especially if you could find a .358 Win. Of course there’s more choices in calibers that are probably easier to come up with.

Dunno is I'd go with a .358 for a beginner but finding rifles can be interesting. Probably the easiest to find would be a Browning BLR. The Savage 99 has some collector status and don't come cheap. I don't think a Ruger ever made the #1 in .358 which means possible a rebore on one in .308 (scarce as hell) or a rebarrel job. I think the barrel on a #1A .243 is too thin to do a rebore. Contenders just never turned my on nor did the break open single shots.
Paul B.

How about a Marlin 336 in 30-30 or 35 Rem.
If you want more power find him an Amish machine gun Remington pump. You can find them in 35 Whelen if you look around . Grise Hardware in PA use to carry them. I think Fotis had one once.

While never being without a 358 Winchester for many years, I agree with PJ about 358 & a new shooter, especially if there's any drop to the stock & a hard buttplate. To avoid inducing flinch, push, & jerk the trigger in a new shooter a pipsqueak 243 with good bullets, or 257 Roberts, 260 or 7-08 would be about max in a handy size rifle. There are lots of thutty-ought-six bolt guns & lever guns in various deer calibers for sale cheap after hunting season in PA & likely in NY upstate too. 35 Remington? 300 Savage? What's on the used shelves at your local shops? Gun shows used to have some great deals in the summer months, but the rona screwed that up this year.

Are semis legal for hunting in NY?

Dan, I would second the Encore with something in the .260 rem, 7mm-08, or .308 version. The one I had and traded in a couple years ago was the .260 Rem. with a custom, i think 1:8" twist barrel topped with a Luepold 2.5 - 8 VariX III scope (old scope from the 80s). It was light, easy to carry deer whacker, but only a single shot.. I think my favorite load was a 120 gr. Nosler BT if my memory serves correctly.

While the 358 Win may not be some people's first choice, but a milder load running about 2200-2300 fps with a 200 or 220 gr bullet out of a BLR is not a real hard kicking load. My daughter harvester her first big game animal (mule deer) with that combination when she was 15.
The 35 Rem in a Marlin lever action is also a good suggestion, and from what I hear about hunting in New York, is an old favourite in your neck of the woods. Most factory loads are mild and suitable for deer and black bear to past 100 yards. For more punch, Buffalo Bore ammo makes a heavy load that is amped up. Just picked up a box to try in my rifle. Supposed to be on the heels of the 358 Win loads.
Another fun round in the BLR would be a 257 Roberts. There is one on Gunbroker right now.
I also am a fan of the 338 Federal, and Ruger did make some in the No.1. A load with the 180 gr bullets would be a better choice for a beginner.
I would start them off with your 22-250 to get them started, and work them up to the larger cartridge (your 270 just to try the larger cartridge/caliber) after they have gotten comfortable with that.

Blkram":39459zzy said:
While the 358 Win may not be some people's first choice, but a milder load running about 2200-2300 fps with a 200 or 220 gr bullet out of a BLR is not a real hard kicking load. My daughter harvester her first big game animal (mule deer) with that combination when she was 15.
The 35 Rem in a Marlin lever action is also a good suggestion, and from what I hear about hunting in New York, is an old favourite in your neck of the woods. Most factory loads are mild and suitable for deer and black bear to past 100 yards. For more punch, Buffalo Bore ammo makes a heavy load that is amped up. Just picked up a box to try in my rifle. Supposed to be on the heels of the 358 Win loads.
Another fun round in the BLR would be a 257 Roberts. There is one on Gunbroker right now.
I also am a fan of the 338 Federal, and Ruger did make some in the No.1. A load with the 180 gr bullets would be a better choice for a beginner.
I would start them off with your 22-250 to get them started, and work them up to the larger cartridge (your 270 just to try the larger cartridge/caliber) after they have gotten comfortable with that.

I would echo this as well concerning the BLR in 358 Win. With full power 225 gr loads it does kick a bit but it is easy to load it to 35 Rem speeds using bullets like the 180 gr Speer or the various 200 gr bullets. Add in 357 cal pistol bullets and you can get even less recoil which a person just learning will appreciate. I would even start someone with a 158 gr 357 bullet and Trail Boss for very mild recoil. Having owned my little BLR in 358 a couple of years now I can say it is a very fun rifle to shoot and think you would be pleased with one.

I also like the idea of a Marlin in 35 Remington as a second choice.

Guys, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I was not originally thinking of the T/C Encore Prohunter but that certainly would be an option. For example I could get the Muzzleloader for my own use and then get a 7mm-08 barrel for a beginner.

Also I was not thinking of the 35 Rem. That is another mild mid bore to consider. As mentioned, I could get a 358 Win. for my own use and download some loads for a beginner.

I like the idea of starting an adult beginner on the 22-250 to get used to shooting. I wasn't thinking of that either.

Hitting the used gun racks would be a great way to get something in .260 Rem, 7mm-08, or 308 Win. without breaking the bank. If the new hunter stays with the sport I could sell him the rifle and go get my 358 Win. If he doesn't stay with the sport, I could just trade it with minimal loss. Who knows, I may just find some discontinued model that would fit the bill perfectly.

358 WCF I believe semi's are legal here in NYS. But, I am pretty sure they are not in PA which is just 10-15 miles south of here. I may someday hunt down there again. However, "assault" style rifles are heavily restricted in NYS. I would have to check the specifics but most New Yorkers sold them off was the NYS "Safe Act" was going into effect.

All of this feedback has been great. Thank you all. I appreciate it!

Dan

I consider the encore as my muzzle loader first rifle second. It’s an excellent muzzle loader! The rifle barrel options cone in handy.

I started my lefty son with a 17” 308 barrel. Trail boss mouse loads to start.

It’s pretty handy to toss the muzzle loader and 22-250 barrel into a case. For out of state hunting.

2ff3dd4f64870ab087077b0c18fe72ef.jpg

gerry":uc3s6q3n said:
Blkram":uc3s6q3n said:

I would echo this as well concerning the BLR in 358 Win. With full power 225 gr loads it does kick a bit but it is easy to load it to 35 Rem speeds using bullets like the 180 gr Speer or the various 200 gr bullets. Add in 357 cal pistol bullets and you can get even less recoil which a person just learning will appreciate. I would even start someone with a 158 gr 357 bullet and Trail Boss for very mild recoil. Having owned my little BLR in 358 a couple of years now I can say it is a very fun rifle to shoot and think you would be pleased with one.

I also like the idea of a Marlin in 35 Remington as a second choice.

I am with Gerry here. The BLR 358 isn't a hard kicker in my book at all, and you can easily drop back to 200's at 35 Rem speeds and still have alot of deer power.

A 243 in a BLR rebored by Pederson isn't a bad way to roll either if you were so inclined for a 260 or 6.5 CM in a lever gun.

All the same could be said for a Remington 7600 as well, and man, they shoot!

Can you get your hands on a Bergara 13?
Quite cheap over here and once you replace the scope mount and put some Teflon on the trigger, shooting very well.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Dan, another middle of the road caliber I found to be very effective on a wide range of game was the 7mmwsm,

Browning does not make them any longer but there are good BLR rifles on the market in that caliber. You mentioned something a bit heavier and as has been mentioned the 358 in the BLR is an excellent caliber and rifle.

Of course I like both the 348 in the BLR and the original 71's, but these are not as assessable or as cheap

It is really nice of you to be thinking about what rifles you need--to help others

BLR if you want more variety in caliber options.

However, the Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is probably where I would start.
I have one I'd sell if interested.

Dr. Vette":3b9d9fq5 said:
BLR if you want more variety in caliber options.

However, the Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is probably where I would start.
I have one I'd sell if interested.

What's your price?

How about this? Find a 308 you like (used/new) that would fulfill your ambidextrous desires and then just have it rebored to either the 338 Fed, or the 358? Granted on a lever rifle you would probably have to 1st remove the barrel, but that's no biggy.

Reboring is the route I took when I just hadda have a 338 Fed. Got a super sweet deal on a new Ruger RA 308, rebored it, scoped it with a Lou'y 2X7 and still came in a little under what I'd have to pay for a new Ruger M77 bare.

Back