Ground squirrel recipes??

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
We’ve got a lot of ground squirrels on our property. Told the wife I was going to go up on the ridge this evening and shoot ground squirrels.
She looked concerned and asked me, “why”?

I said, “just because I want to”.

She replied, “Oh, okay. I thought you were going to want me to cook them”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 60 couple different variety so which one are you wanting to eat?
If as big as a gray squirrel just skin him, flower, salt and pepper it and fry in some bacon grease or make slippery potpie out him but make sure after cocking to throw the squirrel away they seem to get tuff after boiling.
If they are the little chipmunk then shoot them and leave them not worth trying to cook.
If they are ground hogs they are greasy and strong as all get out and I have only ate the kits when they first come out of the hole the adults aren't worth the trouble.

I always thought the proper way to prepare the Columbia ground squirrels (the type we have around here) was to shoot them and leave them on the ground. Then take a package of steaks, salt and pepper to taste and grill them to medium rare. Then, enjoy the steaks with a refreshing drink and a side of roasted potatoes. The ground squirrels? Shoot yourself a coyote when they come in for an easy lunch.

Actually, boil, debone, blacken, stir fry.

Delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrMike":8516vvzi said:
I always thought the proper way to prepare the Columbia ground squirrels (the type we have around here) was to shoot them and leave them on the ground. Then take a package of steaks, salt and pepper to taste and grill them to medium rare. Then, enjoy the steaks with a refreshing drink and a side of roasted potatoes. The ground squirrels? Shoot yourself a coyote when they come in for an easy lunch.

I was going to say.... you start by calling the cat as the sou Chef... But I lke Dr Mikes recipie MUCH better...CL

Grill them enough to sear the outside. Mix half Heinz 57 and half A1. Wrap them in tin foil with the sauce on them and put them back on the top grill rack to finish. Let them simmer in the foil for a while and they come out pretty good.

Back