25-06 Blue Cyclone

bob_dobalina":msmpe47x said:
This thread is great! Guy I hope you're sitting on a few kegs of Retumbo

I've got "enough" - but will need more, and it's out of stock everywhere I've looked. Still, I have plenty for this season and likely next. I don't use the 25-06 for casual plinking, I practice with it before and during the fall seasons and do a little hunting with it. So - I don't burn through a mess of ammo with it anymore. Used to, then started reserving it more for hunting season.

Still - yes - when I see more Retumbo, I'll buy some! (y)

Am heavy on H4350 and Varget right now. Other rifle powders in "okay" status.

Guy

ksubuck":2pvihvwm said:
Always amazed at how close the sweet loads come to yours Guy. Here are some of my Blue Cyclones. Run them with 58.2gn Retumbo. I think if it has 06 in the name there are classic loads availavle[emoji16]
d959480cda838aad0130e73b1eac385a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nice photo! Ya, a healthy dose of Retumbo or a few other powders, and the 115's... That's a nice combo.

Guy

I actually made this load years before Nosler ever put it in a book...I'm a huge fan of the 2506, what got me started in LR shooting/hunting 20 years ago. Killed a pile of dogs and deer with it, few bears, couple elk. Bullet of choice was always the 115g NBT for deer/bears and 100g NBTs for dogs. Excellent speed and accuracy was obtained with Retumbo :) Wished I never wouldve sold the rifle :( Was one of the most accurate factory rifles I ever owned or messed with. Just a Winchester Model 70 classic sporter, but it shot every bullet from 75g vmaxs to 120g NPTs 3/4 MOA or better, and usually was 1/2 MOA or better with its preferred loads.

remingtonman_25_06":36jjbtge said:
I actually made this load years before Nosler ever put it in a book...I'm a huge fan of the 2506, what got me started in LR shooting/hunting 20 years ago. Killed a pile of dogs and deer with it, few bears, couple elk. Bullet of choice was always the 115g NBT for deer/bears and 100g NBTs for dogs. Excellent speed and accuracy was obtained with Retumbo :) Wished I never wouldve sold the rifle :( Was one of the most accurate factory rifles I ever owned or messed with. Just a Winchester Model 70 classic sporter, but it shot every bullet from 75g vmaxs to 120g NPTs 3/4 MOA or better, and usually was 1/2 MOA or better with its preferred loads.

I seem to remember your 25-06 posts long ago?

Ya, I got my data initially from Hodgdon. They showed a 117 gr bullet at good velocity using Retumbo and I thought... Hmmm...

I had Retumbo on hand from my short time using a 300 Rem Ultra Mag. Sold that rifle, but had the Retumbo sitting there under the loading bench... It turned out to be a great match with the Ballistic Tips, the Partition, and even with Berger's VLD - all at 115 grains.

Guy

1100 Remington Man":qe6h8qdb said:
Nice load you have there Guy and I would not be afraid to shoot farther with it either if it was mine.

You know at least as much about that load as I do. (y)

Guy

I reloaded 25-06 for years and my favorite was Nosler 100 gr. ballistic tip.
Super accurate and flat shooting. I currently have a 700 in 30-06. I’ve yet to develop a load. I miss my 25-06. I may have rebarrel.
TMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TenMileHunter":s0apacel said:
I reloaded 25-06 for years and my favorite was Nosler 100 gr. ballistic tip.
Super accurate and flat shooting. I currently have a 700 in 30-06. I’ve yet to develop a load. I miss my 25-06. I may have rebarrel.
TMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends what you want from the rifle. My 25-06 and 30-06 are near twin Remington 700's. I favor the 25-06 for deer, pronghorn & coyote, but the 30-06 does that just fine and I prefer it for larger species like elk & bear.

Both are great cartridges! BTW, my favorite 30-06 load is a max load with H4350 & 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. I've taken elk, black bear, mule deer and pronghorn with that load. Longer shots like the 340 yard shot on elk, and the 325 yard shot on black bear were pretty doggone easy at 2940 fps.

Regards, Guy

Back