Dumb Ass award recipient here

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I ordered a 338 Lee Collet Die. When I received it I went to size some brass and it crushed the case. Now I’ve used several of the Lee Collet Dies in the past with no issues. The only thing I could think of was the Collet somehow got closed even though I knew I didn’t do it when I set it up.
Took it apart several times and tried to open the Collet even though it looked like it was open.
With no luck, I contacted Lee Precision and received a quick reply giving the collet dimensions and asking me to measure the collet.
I was a bit skeptical but did as directed, only to find the dimensions weren’t even close to specs.
Upon closer inspection I could see plainly printed on the collet 300 Win Mag. The seller sent me the wrong die.
dea55ef9827050aa32d9ed505ae36c6c.jpg

I just kind of suspect that may be an issue as this die was working for me just about as well as the time I tried to stuff 7mm bullets into 6.5 Creedmoor cases.
cd65861333d9425012353dde76ce58f8.jpg

2e19479af38ad8d4742ba4e30a066e63.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have our moments. Just don't think you're a shoo in for the award.

Kevin

That one probably would have stumped me as well. You're fine, glad you figured out the problem.
BTW, I think the award goes to a guy a few years back that wanted to shoot 7mm Mauser shells in his 7mm Rem Mag so it wouldn't kick so hard.

JD338

I’ll plead the 5th repeatedly vs self incriminate.

Sometimes being lucky is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had my share of moments. It’s called being human. Don’t sweat the small stuff. You’re good to go.

I resemble that remark.... :cry: I once sent my Dad a bunch of picked up 7mag brass not realizing that there was also some 7STW in the lot. Dad found the first one when he tried to resize one in a vintage herters 7MaG die. He didn't think to look and see if I had sent him the wrong brass and destroyed the die trying to get the case out, or just got fed up and bought a new set. Stupid me...compounded. Glad you figure it out. CL

Worst I did was shoot a 7 RM through a 7STW accidentally...It sounded kind of funny, but there was no issues otherwise. It was just one of those moments, I dont tell a lot of people that though, but since we are on the subject, haha.

Ya mean that we're supposed to actually READ the doggone labels and directions? Good grief, now you tell me!

:grin:

I think most of us have done stuff like that before... I know that several times I've forgotten to change the shell holder on the press ram. Just swapped to the dies I wanted to use and couldn't figure out why the cartridge case wasn't fitting the shell holder... Sigh... Ya, like maybe last week I did that.

Guy

Guy Miner":2q5xwf6m said:
Ya mean that we're supposed to actually READ the doggone directions? Good grief, now you tell me!

:grin:

Guy

Nope! That is the manufacturer's opinion! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back