Found me a donor

longrangehunter":196l199g said:
Wow Scotty great find! I think you'll like having the faster twist. I've noticed a higher percentage of hits over guys running a 1:10" in their 300 NM at ELR targets, and some of these guys were better shooters than me!

Shooting cool stuff is an expensive hobby, but God only knows it's in our blood!

That’s a danged fact.

I’ve had the 1-8 barrel on order for awhile so it won’t hurt shooting it a bit as is till I get all
Of the parts and pieces together.

Expensive hobby... yes.

Well, I couldn't help it. I shot it..

I saw the barrel channel was a little tight, pulled the stock, sanded it out so it'd accept a dollar bill folded in half all the way to the recoil lug, adjusted the trigger down to 2 1/2 lbs, resealed the channel with a few coats of poly and did a node test to see where it fell out with 180 Sciroccos..

3350 seemed pretty good and the load was basically outta the Nosler book with RL25. Used CCI 250's and RP cases.

I just stuck a Leupold 6x36 with dots on it in Warne MountainTech rings. It was about the only scope I had that would work between that long sucker.

So I don't know what to do with it now, but man, it feeds those stupid RUM cases really well and it seems to shoot okay as well. Might have to take a year and hunt it, get back to it next year... :mrgreen:

Well it looks like you need a new donor :lol: that's some pretty amazing accuracy there. If you do rebarrel it a group of Nosler reloading members from here may form a posse to take you in ;)

Damn!
A sweet shooting, pretty rifle...going to be hard to mess with it!
And for a great price!
Wouldn't want to have to make that decision to modify... be too easy to keep it as is...the elk are not going to know the difference!

LOL! You had to shoot it.

Wow, that is a beautiful model 70 and some pretty nice shooting, Scotty.

Very nice, Scotty. And pushing a Scirocco at those velocities with that sort of accuracy... Well, there isn't much in NA that would stand up to that. Okay, time to rebarrel! :twisted:

DrMike":19r0ccb3 said:
Very nice, Scotty. And pushing a Scirocco at those velocities with that sort of accuracy... Well, there isn't much in NA that would stand up to that. Okay, time to rebarrel! :twisted:

I like where your heads at Mike! Always on the cutting edge of keeping me in check!

I’m going to try it at distance and see what it does. If it continues to shoot I may just cool my jets a little.

What were you going to build on it? a 300 RUM?

FOTIS":3s6z32sb said:
What were you going to build on it? a 300 RUM?

Yup, I was going to have it opened up to 3.800" so I could use the longer bullets available to us these days, along with the 1-8 Krieger.

That's OK Scotty. I just found a M70 in 300Bee for 600$ and promptly mailed it to my smith to do my 338x28Nosler. It has a 3.6 box that works perfectly with the round. I didn't shoot though! I've learned my lesson! This gun had never seen the field and was in nearly perfect condition.
Scott

muleman":3vp40wga said:
That's OK Scotty. I just found a M70 in 300Bee for 600$ and promptly mailed it to my smith to do my 338x28Nosler. It has a 3.6 box that works perfectly with the round. I didn't shoot though! I've learned my lesson! This gun had never seen the field and was in nearly perfect condition.
Scott

Well, I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer Scott!

So far the rifle has been shooting pretty amazing actually. I shot it out to 375 on Sunday and it did real well with 180 Accubonds, 180 BT's and 175 TLR's. Going to try some 181 Hammers as soon as I can load them up. Need to pick a bullet and tune the zero.

I really like the 300 RUM for a 30 cal. Second would be the 300 Win Mag. The RUM case is just as accurate if not more, and throws the same bullets 300fps faster, which is a lot better for LR work :) I like the idea of rebarreling with a Bartlein 8 or 9 twist to take full advantage of the new slickery 30 cal bullets these days.

remingtonman_25_06":1e879azw said:
I really like the 300 RUM for a 30 cal. Second would be the 300 Win Mag. The RUM case is just as accurate if not more, and throws the same bullets 300fps faster, which is a lot better for LR work :) I like the idea of rebarreling with a Bartlein 8 or 9 twist to take full advantage of the new slickery 30 cal bullets these days.

Yeah, it is a heckuva case! I am not quite sure what i'll do with it yet. This year, I may just use it as it is.

Back