Dedicated Whitetail Rifle.

An "older" Rem 700 Mountain rifle in BDL floorplate format in 7mm-08 would be that cat's meow!

Since you have 3, 30-06's...

Rebarrel the worn out barrel to a 35 Whelen, keep your favourite as an 06 and then rebarrel the final one to 25-06!
Then you have the gamut for all intended purposes based on the 06 case and have all that you want!

I have a 280 and a 338-06, and have always thought that a 25-06 would round it out nicely.

ST,

If you rebarrel to the 35 Whelan, you will have a deer thumper that is second to none. The 35 Whelan hits hard and puts deer down fast. I've taken quite a few deer with the big 35, most dropping on their tracks. Only had 3-4 run, the blood trails were short and heavy.

JD338

6mm Remington":32r8z93s said:
I think I like the 6.5x55 or the 7x57. Classic old cartridges that with modern loads in modern rifles offer a lot ballistically.

Same here, I have a couple Creeds, a 6.5x55, a 7-08 and a 7x57 in the safe. Honestly, I'd pick the RIFLE you like the most and let the cartridge fall where it may. I even have a reamer Dewey lent me for a 6.5x55 Improved that may get some use one of these years.

All of them do about the same thing with normal bullets. All of them can utilize the excellent Lapua brass that's available.

I'd beat the streets and find the rifle that fits your body and catches your eye and turn a blind eye to whats stamped on it myself.

I've owned the 6.5x55, 260 rem, and four 6.5 CM's. Never owned a 7mm08 but I'd put it as a great a whitetail cartridge. Do own a 275 rigby (7x57) also.
I love history and old cartridges, so I would choose the 6.5 swede or the 7x57 in classic mauser style rifles. They just leave me feeling like I am in another time hunting with those classics. Out of the newer style rifles I dont think u could go wrong with 260, 6.5 CM or 7mm08. Just all around great deer cartridges.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just recently picked up a savage in 7-08 and have thus far been extremely impressed. I have been used to shooting bigger rifles, 7 mag, 30-06 etc and the very mild recoil of the 7-08 has been a welcome addition to the safe! I have yet to take it on a deer hunt but plan to this fall.

I’ve got 6.5x55 and 7x57. Also a couple of entry level Savages in 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08. I’ve been happy with how the Savages shoot.
I like them all but would keep the 6.5x55 as it’s in Remington Classic and I believe it was the last firearm my father purchased before his passing.
Would be hard pressed to favor one cartridge over another due to how they perform for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Husqvarna 6.5x55. I haven't killed anything with it, but I do have a warm spot in my heart for it. It's exceedingly light and fast handling. It came with a fixed 4x scope and in spite of being many, many years old, shoots about 1.5 at 100 with factory loads. Not hardly a tack-driver, but more than enough for me. And wicked fun to shoot.

I do not have experience with the other options listed, but I do have a Whelen :grin: and in my opinion (for whatever that's worth) everyone should own at least one.

Sheesh! You guys sure aren't much help on making a decision. :lol: Reading through all these posts has me bouncing back and forth. Guess it's like Dr Mike stated, we are blessed with many good choices.

In the end it will probably be like Scotty suggested, I'll run across something that suits my fancy and that'll be that.

As far as the Springfield, if I decide on 35 Whelen I'll send it out to JES and have him give it a look over for re-boring. If going another route I'll obviously need a new barrel.

ShadeTree":hclwemp9 said:
Sheesh! You guys sure aren't much help on making a decision. :lol: Reading through all these posts has me bouncing back and forth. Guess it's like Dr Mike stated, we are blessed with many good choices.

In the end it will probably be like Scotty suggested, I'll run across something that suits my fancy and that'll be that.

As far as the Springfield, if I decide on 35 Whelen I'll send it out to JES and have him give it a look over for re-boring. If going another route I'll obviously need a new barrel.

A Springfield 35 Whelen oozes cool to me. Just a really neat rifle.

(Utah mule deer) Kimber 84L (mine is the wood stocked Classic) .270, Barnes 110 TTSX. Slim, trim, easy to carry, quick to get on target yet heavy enough to "hold still" for a longer shot off a rest. My father always taught me "a good rifleman knows how to find a good rest"...tree, rock, rolled up jacket, sitting supported on cross sticks, etc.

East Texas- 30-30 , 243 up to 308 ( 30-06 always seemed like a "magnum" to us, really rough on 90# deer! ha)

I'm a little late to the party, been busy.

Of the calibers you mention, either the 6.5s or the 7-08 will do nicely. I shoot a .280 rem and basically load it like a vintage 7x57. With cup and core 145 speers, it's a deer hammer.

I'm going to throw out one you may not have considered. You like Remingtons, you seem to like vintage rifles. Look for a vintage Rem 722 in .300 Savage. If your ranges are not extreme, this rifle stoked with 150 gr BTSPs or Partitions over IMR 4064 will hammer whitetails with mild recoil all day long. If you're really up for a project, the 7mmIHMSA is a fine cartridge for your task that will fit this envelope. They also made this rifle in .250 Savage and .257 Roberts, but those are rare. The action may be long enough for 6.5x55 as well, but I'm not sure.

Back