From this.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
June 27'th barely up.

To this August 1'st. Five weeks. Always amazes me what a little seed will produce. Outside rows are the shortest, but walk in from the middle and the stalks are 7' tall. Pushing ears already. Be picking sweet corn by the pickup load hopefully 2-3 wks from now.

Always great to witness the growth of a good garden. Seeing your picture brings back memories of hoeing corn each summer when I was a lad living in KS.

KinleyWater":1hk991tw said:
Very cool.

And if you need any help eating that sweet corn...

Ha. You'd be welcome to what you wanted if you were here, there will be plenty. We will of course eat fresh sweet corn, can't pass that up, but the big reason for planting it was to have plenty to put away in the freezer. Along with baked corn, etc, there's nothing like homemade chicken corn soup using sweet corn that was put away IMO. We will have a family get together day where a large amount will be picked, cooked, cut off and bagged, then divided up between my wife and I, my 5 brothers and sisters and their families, along with my Mom and Dad. There should be plenty left to pick yet after that for neighbors or whoever needs it.

DrMike":1hk991tw said:
Always great to witness the growth of a good garden. Seeing your picture brings back memories of hoeing corn each summer when I was a lad living in KS.

Hand hoeing, picking rocks, and putting square bales of hay away on top of a hay mow in 95 degree heat are not things I can say I miss about youth. :) Modern farming sure has changed things. Now most farmers have huge square or round bales that are machine wrapped in plastic and stored outside, then moved to a feeder as needed with a tractor.

Ah, yes, square bales. I've certainly put up my share while in the loft--tin roof and no breeze. I earned a penny a bale, which seemed pretty good at the time. Market bales were 125# minimum. Then, there was the hustling to get it all in before rains came in the late afternoon. My dad always had a sizeable lot for corn, and if I wasn't working in the hay fields, I was expected to hoe and pick rocks. Wow! Don't really miss the hot days and hard work, but I do miss the experience and the strength of youth.

DrMike":29e8ja40 said:
Ah, yes, square bales. I've certainly put up my share while in the loft--tin roof and no breeze. I earned a penny a bale, which seemed pretty good at the time. Market bales were 125# minimum. Then, there was the hustling to get it all in before rains came in the late afternoon. My dad always had a sizeable lot for corn, and if I wasn't working in the hay fields, I was expected to hoe and pick rocks. Wow! Don't really miss the hot days and hard work, but I do miss the experience and the strength of youth.

Yep, work and hard work was a daily part of life. I don't miss some of it either but youth made it easier to tolerate and was a good teacher in life. Because you know what? It still gets hot, and there's still times I have a difficult job to accomplish in the heat. You stick at it knowing there's an end and you will get there. That hasn't changed since youth.

Cutting, stacking, moving, slab wood for winter was another unending chore. I used to joke with people that I was 10 yrs old before I realized my name wasn't, "go get wood." :lol:

Back