Sometimes I wonder about myself.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Ran across 2 full boxes of 358 Winchester 200 gr Silvertips priced well at a local flea market.

Nothing wrong with that, and I'd be happy to have a 358 Win in the right platform, but currently I don't have one and who knows, I might not ever own 1.

If I do get one, I doubt I'd shoot these. SOOOO why did I buy them? :? I don't know why. :lol:

Ha ha, you had better trade them off otherwise a 358 Win will follow you home (the BLR's are really nice ;) )

gerry":3gq0cfli said:
Ha ha, you had better trade them off otherwise a 358 Win will follow you home (the BLR's are really nice ;) )

That's what I'm thinking, better trade em or sell them and make a couple bucks. Get em out the door. :)

My wife asked me when I came in the door, did you find anything? I just answered yep. Usually I show her or explain to her what I got and what I can do with it, portraying the wisdom of my purchase. In this case, nothing reasonable to offer, so I just said YEP. :lol:

I second the motion for a Browning BLR in 358 Win.
Mount a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm scope and you will have a quick handling hard hitting combo suitable for most anything in NA.

JD338

Friend of mine has a Browning BLR with an older Aimpoint red dot sight on it.

He calls it "Killer" - it's accounted for at least a dozen elk a black bear or two and a few mule deer...

I could tell you some stories about him with that rifle, but I'd better not. He handles it really well.

Buy the rifle that goes with that ammo. :grin:

Guy

I just put a Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 on mine, it's a nice scope. That Aimpoint sounds like really good match for it. Guy do you know what your buddies load is? Got to give ShadeTree a bit more to think about :lol: .

Enablers!!! Shameful. Just shameful. :mrgreen:

That's a cartridge that's been on my wish list from early on. The jingle in my pocket was always occupied with something else every time I seen one priced reasonable enough that it didn't require a sanity test after you bought it.

This might be considered darn near blasphemy by some, but for my uses I'd prefer a 358 Win over a 35 Whelen. Someday I'll scratch that itch.

So....................................you buy a 358 yet? :lol:

For deer hunters at normal ranges I would say the 358 is a better choice then the Whelen and it can still handle big stuff.

gerry":2ksoq1fr said:
So....................................you buy a 358 yet? :lol:

For deer hunters at normal ranges I would say the 358 is a better choice then the Whelen and it can still handle big stuff.

No, but I did delay it again. :oops: :)

Bought another gun. Not a 358. Sometimes when you run across a gun you don't see very often but is on your radar and the price is right, that's the time to buy it.

Bought a newer model 760 in pretty nice shape chambered in 35 Remington. Been looking for a newer 1 in that cartridge that came factory tapped for scope bases, and with the raised stock. Just don't see those for sale around here anymore, and this 1 was very reasonable.

Not a local shop, and didn't have enough cash in my wallet but I wasn't letting it get away so I put down money on it and will pay it in full when I get by there again in a couple weeks.

Another vote for the BLR in 358 Win!
Nice find on the ammo too!

And nice find on your new-to-you 35 Rem!

Going to be lots of fun and adventures in your future!
Fun to shoot, light and handy to carry and use in the field, and works well on game at reasonable distances...Deer, bear (black or grizzly), moose, elk...not much the BLR and the 358 can't handle.

I went a different direction for 358. Savage 99

Find you a savage 99 in 308 and send it down to JES reboring. There is nothing quite as sweet as a savage 99 in 358!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1ytkxdpg said:
I went a different direction for 358. Savage 99

Find you a savage 99 in 308 and send it down to JES reboring. There is nothing quite as sweet as a savage 99 in 358!

I would say great minds think alike, but wouldn't want to do the disservice to you of lumping you in with my mind. Ha.

Already had that in my head as 1 of the options. In fact the other evening when I ran across that Rem 760 in 35 Remington I was first scanning the racks for 99's. The only 1 there was beat up pretty bad.

I cannot say that I don't like BLR's as I never handled 1, and that might change my thoughts dramatically don't know. They've never appealed to me aesthetically, don't know why exactly. Perhaps getting one and stripping that gloss finish off of it for one, would be a good starter.

99fcd9e242822229a40bbac0c5ad7b19.jpg

This is the one I had JES rebore for me.

A good looking 99. I do like the BLR, having had three now--all chambered in .358. The cartridge accounted for some surprisingly large game if I did my part. Now, my .358 is a Ruger and it delivers some very accurate groups.

Thebear_78":2k5ttyy2 said:
99fcd9e242822229a40bbac0c5ad7b19.jpg

This is the one I had JES rebore for me.

Very cool. So many different 99's it's confusing to keep them straight. I believe by looking at that forearm and the checkering pattern, that's a 99 R ?

DrMike":19d32vyd said:
A good looking 99. I do like the BLR, having had three now--all chambered in .358. The cartridge accounted for some surprisingly large game if I did my part. Now, my .358 is a Ruger and it delivers some very accurate groups.

That's another 1 that stays on my radar and I wouldn't be against picking up in the least. Made them in standard and carbine length in the old tang safety model, and tend to be priced reasonably.

My pre-81 BLR in 358 had the stock factory finish stripped, and had a rubbed oil finish when I bought it. Not a spot of bluing left and the metal had been scratched pretty good.
Put a Decelerator pad on it and had the metal tefloned. Gave it a whole new lease on life. Not the prettiest rifle around, but it has served me well for the past 17 years and has put a lot of game in the freezer. It is one of the those rifles that will always be here. My daughter harvested her first deer with it. It backed DrMike on his grizzly bear. It has accompanied me while guiding and on archery hunts. It is my ol' Faithful.
Trigger has a a ton of creep, but I have learned exactly where it breaks, and with its preferred load with a 220gr Speer Hot Cor bullet, it will shoot 1" groups consistently.

Back