Fixed power versus Variable power

I just use larger bulls with my 6x’s.

Even works fine with the 4x on the 375’s

Have I said how much I dig that 375. What a thumper. Man, it’s amazing how much fun that big devil is. I had a new, in box, old stock M8 4x I put on it. Seems to fit pretty nice.

Scotty that's the same M8 4x Weaver my father put on my Remington Model 600 in 6mm back in 1972. That same scope is on that rifle and it shoots just as well.

I mostly use variables on my rifles but I have a few fixed power scopes. All my fixed power scopes are leupolds. I currently have a couple 2.5x scout, a 2.5 ultra light, and a 6x42. They definitely have thier place.

80cba843c10321ad70d483af5a6d28bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2kssqi49 said:
I mostly use variables on my rifles but I have a few fixed power scopes. All my fixed power scopes are leupolds. I currently have a couple 2.5x scout, a 2.5 ultra light, and a 6x42. They definitely have thier place.

80cba843c10321ad70d483af5a6d28bc.jpg

I really like the 6x36 with LR Dotz in it myself. The 6x42 is a great scope optically, but I have torn a couple of them up. Right now, the 6x36, even with it's old school click dials tracks like a scope is supposed to and I haven't blown one of them up. It makes me irate that we cannot even get the old 6x36 anymore to have the LR Dot's retro'ed into them. Maybe not made for shooting ultra tight groups, but man they are very useful for hunting.

The old fixed 6x42 was the star of the show today. My 338 LM is still giving me fits, and my 338/06 is fickle at best. The kimber is performing like a champ.

I got a chance to chronograph a few loads today. My 165gr Partition load @ 2750, federal fusion 165 @ 2780, and 180gr core-lokt @ 2600fps.

All three loads shot into a 2” group right to the same point of impact. 4” high at 100 yards.

Spent a few minutes hitting the 8” steel at 200 and 300 yards from field positions. Was fun busting out the shooting sticks for a bit. The heavy rifle bipod setups are great when proned out but light and trim rifles from field positions are good practice.

That’s definitely great practice. Sounds like the 06 is working like a champ for you.

1-4x and 1.5-5x is all I have bought in the past 10 years or so. I have higher power scopes on a few rigs, but low power variables or fixed 4x are what have been getting used for all my hunting lately.

Back