Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: South Africa Hunt Booked. :)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 am 

Bring em both Guy with 40 rounds of each ;)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: South Africa Hunt Booked. [emoji3]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 pm 

Take them both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:26 am 

salmon chaser and gerry are correct

take them both, as s#%& happens and you dont want to do your hunt with a borrowed rifle.

since you want to hunt the 375, take 50 375 and 30 7mm. Use the 375 only but God forbid if something happens to it, you have another rifle with you and that rifle will also have AFRICA forever attached to it.

I ask before, but you didn't respond so if this part of your trip is a secret, just ignore the question. Is your wife or son going with you, even if they dont hunt ?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:52 am 

Europe wrote:
s

I ask before, but you didn't respond so if this part of your trip is a secret, just ignore the question. Is your wife or son going with you, even if they dont hunt ?

Solo trip. And thanks for the input. (y)

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:29 am 

Guy it looks like you have everything covered, I hunted on a ranch around Kimberley with friends, not my thing to be honest, driving around and spotting game, getting out and walking in, big ranch though, 20,000 acres.

Are you doing any internal flights?
If so check the airline take rifles, some don't.

Have a great hunt.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:46 am 

There is a very clear reason (at least for me; pun intended! LOL) why so many of my rifles wear the Leupold 3.5-10x40 scopes! (Have them in either the Vari-X III, VX-III and VX-3 variants)
They are clear, reliable and tough!
And the models with the B&C reticle makes shooting the various cartridges/calibers out to further distances even better, as one does not have to guess the holdover. And it is an uncluttered reticle that is quick and easy to use!

Hope you have a great trip Guy!
You'll have lots of fun and bring back many great memories with that No.1!
That 260gr AB is a great bullet. I am having great time with it in my 376 Steyr at 2632 fps. It has worked well on elk and bison so far!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:04 pm 

Anything with H&H on the end. Just seems like the right thing to do. Haha.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm 

gbflyer wrote:

I agree! (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
gbflyer wrote:

I agree! (y)

Better be careful Guy, or you'll end up with another pair! with a No.1 in 300 H&H
Or a triple (following in Cheyenne's footsteps) with a custom in 275H&H!
or would that make it a triple, and then a quadruple! LOL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:26 am 

Excellent Guy, come on over to Africa Mate. You’re in for a great time.
Your weather mentions for that time of year in that area are spot on.
375? Ouch. For some of the animals on your list that’s alotta lead.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm 

nashtims wrote:
Excellent Guy, come on over to Africa Mate. You’re in for a great time.
Your weather mentions for that time of year in that area are spot on.
375? Ouch. For some of the animals on your list that’s alotta lead.

I know... The sensible choice would be my good ol' 30-06 Rem 700 that I use on pretty much everything...

Sigh... I just like my 375 a lot. :grin:

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 pm 

Guy, "actually"

Since Gil mentioned the 275 H & H and gbflyer has made a good point about Africa and H & H. And you were thinking about the 7mm for the trip, I will give you a heads up.

We ( my family ) had ask Aleena to have someone inspect the rifle that is for sale in S Africa. It has been inspected and everything is original and works. The rifle was built the same year the 275 H & H was born and the rifle is in Africa. We spoke to GSC and Rhino and either will take the rifle and zero it in for you with the bullet of your choice, a long as it is their bullets of course.

Go to Guns International if you want to read about it and see pictures of it. Dont be confused by the one Wesley Richards had in the U.K. for sale, it has been sold.

I would take my 375 H & H with me with 40 rounds, pick up the 275 H & H rifle when your there, practice with it and use it. My son figured out how to get the rifle back to the states and there were hoops to jump thru, but how cool would that be to bring home those trophies and that rifle. The 275 Rigby is known to some, but the 275 H & H is a unique caliber, H & H is a unique gun manufacture and as has been mentioned Africa is the place to use it.

Corbett used a 275 Rigby in India and You could use a 275 H & H in Africa Th only thing else that screams "Africa" is a double.

I am very excited for you Guy, a little sad you are going solo, but glad your going!!!

In a separate note. Yes the 375 is a large caliber for some of the game your taking, which is why I suggested in my other post --take them both. Take the smallest of animals with your 7mm ( or your new 275 H & H ) and use the 375 H & H for the bigger animals. But I would use two different rifles although either of them would be fine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 pm 

Oh, the trip is a year out - I'm not real worried about rifle selection at this point. And honestly, I've considered just renting a rifle there from the PH. He's got some nice rifles avail in camp, up to 375 H&H, and of course more "normal" cartridges like the 308, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. I have to admit, that would make the logistics even simpler. But... I kind of want to use one of my own rifles.

*And I seriously doubt that I could afford a Holland and Holland rifle... :grin: Retired small-town cop here you know. Africa is a big expense, let alone a fancy rifle. If it's the one I saw on Guns International, that's located currently in South Africa, I think it shows $25,000.... Ya, I've never bought an automobile that was that expensive, and all of my firearms together would fall short of that. So... No thank you. But I'm laughing here while thinking of it, and I do appreciate the humor of your suggestion. I really do...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101464132

So - interesting though that 275 you wrote of may well be - naw - I'm good. Thank you though! :grin:

I do much of my hunting solo. I like it that way. I would have liked to take one of my sons - but they can't go at that time, and my wife has absolutely no interest in Africa. So - there ya go. Solo it is, though I have let several buddies know (and here on the forum) that there are openings left with the same PH, next July. He'd be very happy to have a few more hunters registered, as not much hunting has been happening this year. Oh - as I think on this some more - it doesn't really feel like I'm going to be alone - I've known the PH for at least 8 years, we've shared meals, and twice I've hosted him at my gun club where we shot together. He is a great guy and a friend, so... I've got a companion, a friendly face, already in place. That's kind of nice.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 am 

Am I the only one here that loves April. She always makes me smile and what is really funny is she is serious!

Without a doubt that would be an excellent rifle to own Guy. The 275 H & H is a very fine 7mm caliber, and for those who like unusual calibers, it is that. Plus H & H is a fine rifle manufacturer. Then she even thinks about if you buy the rifle there, you will need ammo and can not bring it with you and even if you could, would it work in the rifle.

Scotty is probably the only one who has even heard of "Rhino" I had not , had to look them up.

Now for the rifle, for christi sake April it costs as much as Guy's trip possibly, but regardless of what Guy is paying for this trip, the rifle is 25000.00 Holy s---!!

Guy, take both rifles, use them both and when you return tell us which rifle took which animal, as your post, when you make it, ,after you return, will be as close as I ever get to Africa

What were those rats Jamilia said were good to eat in Africa ? Try them and let us know what you think Guy. have a wonderful trip ! Are you going to also fish, sight see. I would like to see Cape Town and Victoria Falls

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:11 pm 

Thankful Otter wrote:
Am I the only one here that loves April. She always makes me smile and what is really funny is she is serious!

Without a doubt that would be an excellent rifle to own Guy. The 275 H & H is a very fine 7mm caliber, and for those who like unusual calibers, it is that. Plus H & H is a fine rifle manufacturer. Then she even thinks about if you buy the rifle there, you will need ammo and can not bring it with you and even if you could, would it work in the rifle.

Scotty is probably the only one who has even heard of "Rhino" I had not , had to look them up.

Now for the rifle, for christi sake April it costs as much as Guy's trip possibly, but regardless of what Guy is paying for this trip, the rifle is 25000.00 Holy s---!!

Guy, take both rifles, use them both and when you return tell us which rifle took which animal, as your post, when you make it, ,after you return, will be as close as I ever get to Africa

What were those rats Jamilia said were good to eat in Africa ? Try them and let us know what you think Guy. have a wonderful trip ! Are you going to also fish, sight see. I would like to see Cape Town and Victoria Falls

Probably as close as I'll ever get as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm 

Well consider this:- Guy coming to hunt in Africa near the town of Kimberley (about 300 miles from me) is as close as what I will get to a piece of Washington.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 pm 

Thankful Otter wrote:

Roughly $10k more than my trip... :shock: Hunting plains game in Africa is one heck of a bargain.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am 

I hope things open up and you have a Great hunt. The cull oppoutinity sounds exciting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 pm 

1100 Remington Man wrote:
I hope things open up and you have a Great hunt. The cull oppoutinity sounds exciting.

Thanks! It's about a year from now. I'm not sure about the cull opportunity, that will be quite welcome if possible. And I sure hope that air travel is possible, as well as safe then.

Also plan on visiting a couple of South Africa's well-regarded national parks, including the Addo Elephant park. :grin:

I've never seen elephant in the wild - and am so excited about that possibility. No, I'm not hunting elephant, but I'd just love to see and photograph some.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:10 pm 

So about this 1/4 MIL FA.....There’s a trend that I have noticed during transnational sales of certain items relating to the “Shoot” industry but before I make a call on whether that may be going on here on not, let me ask a question to the more knowledgeable out there.

This breakdown, 1912YOM, 275 H&H, being sold as mentioned before, what is the value of a similar/ identical FA?
I do understand that if someone decides to actually pay that amount of money, well then that is the value, BUT has anyone ever seen a like FA being offered or even purchased for that exorbitant amount of moola?

If this is regarded as a thread hijack I apologize but the matter was brought up in this thread.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:59 am 

There was two rifles for sale that one of the members of this forum would have bought in a heartbeat if money was no object --right Scotty (-: I am joking--somewhat, but there were two pre 64 model 70 winchesters for sale for something like 1,750,000.00 with serial numbers 1 and 2,

These guns may never hunt, but somebody will want them and buy them.

Why would anybody in their right mind pay more for a 1965 Mustang than a new car ? But it happens every day.

As to the rifle in question, will it sell for 25000.00 ? I doubt it, maybe half that. But it is not just an unusual caliber, it is a good 7mm caliber. It was made by a fairly good firm. It was made in the year the caliber was introduced and it is in good condition. Someone will buy it.

Maybe someone who has a 300 and 375 already. Maybe a collector of "old" calibers, H & H's, unusual calibers. Why would anybody in their right mind pay 3500 for a Win 71 348, when you can get a BLR 348 for half that price. (-: why even pay that much for an old 348 when you can get a new 358 ???? A little dig at one of our members.

Back to the thread topic. Guy, before or after your hunting trip do you plan on doing any sight seeing in S. Africa ? Are you going to any other countries while there ?

Very excited for you. You have wanted to go for a long time and now you are ! Enjoy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:38 pm 

You are limited to 80 rounds or 11 pounds of ammunition, not sure you'll get to that point but its something to think about. As soon as the airlines start booking for your dates, book your seat and get the "exit row seating." Pay extra if you must but it is worth it!
Add zebra to your list-you'll see lots and nothing says Africa like a zebra rug. You will see and kill a great gemsbok on the kalahari and don't be afraid to shoot a long horned cow, or you could be really picky and shoot a thick horned bull, maybe get lucky and get long, heavy and a bull!
Practice off sticks-the first shot is the only one that matters no matter what rifle and bullet you shoot.
Glad springbok is on your list. It is the S. African national animal and pretty sure you will see lots of them, bring home a worn down heavy ram and keep the back skin for rugs or pillows. Not worth the money to keep backskins from most of your other stuff but certainly something to consider. Take extra money for the duikers and steenboks and things you don't consider until you are there and run into them. I booked my next trip for summer 2022 just to give the world time to settle down and try to reset itself. Will be excited to see how you do, have any questions don't hesitate to pm me-

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:41 pm 

Thanks! (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:26 pm 

Thats awesome Guy! Man its my dream to make it there myself one day. Can't wait to see those pictures!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:21 am 

Congrats on the hunt Guy. Sounds like a good workout for that new 7mm you’ve got!

A fella I’m fairly close with spends a month in South Africa every year, he only really books culling trips. He’s a 270 Winchester FANATIC and has taken everything to include Eland and makes no bones about how well the 270 and great bullets work and since he is shooting quite a lot, the lighter recoil cartridge tends to make him look good.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next