Dedicated whitetail gun purchase.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Well this quest I've had in the back of my mind certainly took an unexpected turn. I had put up a post on here about suggestions on a dedicated whitetail rifle, and the bulk of the opinions were 7mm-08, 6.5x55, and 260 Remington in a variety of rifle suggestions.

I believe it was Scotty that made a comment to the affect of just keep my eyes open and when I run across something that stands out and fits me, grab it up regardless of which of those cartridges it was chambered in.

That's certainly what happened. Was not actively looking but when I seen this I thought, there it is.

This rifle was not on my radar because frankly I didn't know they existed.

I've never seen a 788 in 7mm-08, and in a carbine no less, but by golly I got one here. Little bit of research revealed that they made them in carbine only in 1980. Gonna call Remington and see if I can get some more info.

Fits me like a glove. Full sized stock, 18 5/8" barrel. Same barrel contour as full length, so a really stiff barrel at that length and still got some weight to it. Super clean. I'd call it 99% only because it's not new in box. Gonna make a bang up woods whitetail gun with a little bit of cool factor to it. Pretty darn happy about it.

You picked up a fine rifle chambered in a great cartridge. The 7mm-08 may be underrated, but it gets the job done. You're going to be happy with that as a dedicated "woods gun."

DrMike":2w6khixd said:
You picked up a fine rifle chambered in a great cartridge. The 7mm-08 may be underrated, but it gets the job done. You're going to be happy with that as a dedicated "woods gun."

Was impressed with the accuracy and low recoil of a 7mm-08 I worked up loads for last summer. Been on my cartridges to have list.

Most happy that I came across one in the rifle that I did. I owned a Remington 788 in 6mm that I sold in the middle of a cash crunch during the Obama economy. Regretted it ever since. SHOOTER. As is the common theme with everybody that has a 788. I'm banking on this one being the same.

Pretty happy with this combination. I like older rifles and this one has the unusual factor going for it.

Don’t sell that little rifle short... I clobbered a Colorado Bull elk with an 18” barreled 7mm-08.

Those 788s are good guns.... kind of the Tikka of their time. I’ve owned a couple, they were all very accurate.

That’s a cool rifle, I can’t imagine a better tree stand rig.

Sure is a clean rifle that's for sure must not seen a lot of use. Load up a cup and core bullet around 140 gr and you'll be good to go. Nice find.

Funny how sometimes when they aren't trying very hard, rifles companies make a winner. 788 was one of them. Stevens model 200 was another. Had one in 7mm-08 and sold it. PITA to get scope on it, but once I did it was a sub inch rifle with Winchester silver box. even with me piloting it. Thought it kicked too much for my tore up shoulder.... Hope you've got a winner there, should be great for WT, or most anything else. CL

gerry":2yrkuwvv said:
Sure is a clean rifle that's for sure must not seen a lot of use. Load up a cup and core bullet around 140 gr and you'll be good to go. Nice find.

It did not for sure. Only slight bluing fade I can see on it is a small band on the top side of the barrel where it looks like it sat against the holder in a gun cabinet all these yrs. Everything about it including the bolt looks barely fired. I'll change that. :grin:

Since, I've run across one just like it for sale that was new in box on Gun Broker. It got 53 bids from 7 different bidders and ended at $1,711.00. Granted NIB, but at that crazy price verifies there's not that many out there. I picked this up at roughly 1/3 that price. At normal price really for a standard 788 in good condition. Should have built in equity on it. Doesn't matter though I wont be selling it far as I know.

7mm-08 is a great calibre and will work well in the application you want to use it in (y)>

Blessings,
Dan

I had two back decades ago. A .243 and a .22-250 both rifles. I did a full bedding including the barrel channel, leaving the barrels free floated. I was a tool and die maker and I built an adjustable trigger for each.
The .22-250 shot the best. Most of my developed loads shot .250 and under. That's one rifle I wish I'd kept.

Dad had many rifles I wish were still around. He would let them go for one thing or another. One of them was a 788 in .308 made in 1969. that was an incredibly accurate rifle. Many a song dog and white tail fell to that rifle. I always look for them at the gun shows and I recently found a nice one in 6mm that they wanted $1000 for.

26NosFan":25sqd6n6 said:
Dad had many rifles I wish were still around. He would let them go for one thing or another. One of them was a 788 in .308 made in 1969. that was an incredibly accurate rifle. Many a song dog and white tail fell to that rifle. I always look for them at the gun shows and I recently found a nice one in 6mm that they wanted $1000 for.

Nice one's are now bringing some money, but that's too high. Can still get decent to good shaped 788's in more desirable cartridges like a 6mm for between $550-650. Occasionally cheaper than that. Of course you also see them priced at $800-$900, but I don't know who's paying that.

I got this one for $600 and it's in an oddball caliber and a carbine, and CLEAN. At that price I said done, before either of us changed our minds. :lol:

I would NEVER pay that much. I wouldn't mind finding one in 308 and having it rebored to 358 though.

Back