Very disappointed in Vx5 3-15x44

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I had put a leupold Vx5 3-15x44 on my seekins havak. It was about the lightest scope that fit my requirements for this rifle. It was a great fit and nice and clear. The problem was in the tracking.

I noticed a definite shift right whenever I changed elevation. It would shift about 3” to the right when dialed up from 100 yard zero to 300. Originally it would shift back to the 100 yard zero. Now once you unlock the elevation turret and adjust up, it shifts right and does not return to zero. It stays about 3” right.

It’s going on a trip back to leupold. Anyone else having trouble with thier leupold Vx5 doing this?

d0a210e70a74e89c23799ec2052f452f.jpg

9e0006e288cefc2ae66187ed0530d747.jpg

Dialed up 2.5 MOA for 300 yard zero

4b2b6b86c8b4395c724e6f6dfc33b5d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have a VX-5 like you asked, but that sure is frustrating to have a scope like that that doesn't work properly.

Is it the HD version?
I have a VX-5HD 2-10x42 w/ Firedot reticle ordered for my LH Sako 85 Finnlight II being rebarreled to 338 Federal w/ a carbon fibre barrel.

Leupold should fix your problem and hopefully restore your faith.

That's not good. I would think the good folks at Leupold will make it right with you. They have always been terrific in my dealings with them. Best of luck.

I’m sure the will fix or replace it. It’s just frustrating when something fails like that. It shouldn’t be possible with their new erector system

Just remember that any item that is man-made can, and will fail eventually (and most often at the most inopportune time!), even from the best respected firms out there. It doesn't mean that all their products are bad, as lemons can occur at any time.

I hate to say this but working at Sportsman's Warehouse and seeing things, and reports on the net (taken with a grain of salt) pretty much verify that Leupold is not what it use to be.
Just the fact that the waiting list to get a Leupold product repaired or put CDS dials on one, is running about 45-60 days tells a lot. Use to be 10 days or so.
I no longer trust them for tracking. At least the sub 1500 dollar models.

Lately on my serious LR rigs that require tracking I mount Nightforce and SWFA. My Bushy Elite tactical 4.5-18X44 does quite well also as my Athlon Ares 4.5x27 .

FOTIS":zry7ay4o said:
I hate to say this but working at Sportsman's Warehouse and seeing things, and reports on the net (taken with a grain of salt) pretty much verify that Leupold is not what it use to be.
Just the fact that the waiting list to get a Leupold product repaired or put CDS dials on one, is running about 45-60 days tells a lot. Use to be 10 days or so.

Lately on my serious LR rigs that require tracking I mount Nightforce and SWFA. My Bushy Elite tactical 4.5-18X44 does quite well also as my Athlon Ares 4.5x27 .
Yep. With dialing reliability comes a weight penalty. Leupold set and forgets on a light hunting rifle are great. Especially the FX 6X. Can’t have both yet. I’m sure it’s coming one day though.

gbflyer":3dh2w9q9 said:
FOTIS":3dh2w9q9 said:

Yep. With dialing reliability comes a weight penalty. Leupold set and forgets on a light hunting rifle are great. Especially the FX 6X. Can’t have both yet. I’m sure it’s coming one day though.

I sure hope so. Bear's issue isn't a lone report as Fotis notes. It is too bad cause their VX5 and 6's are very nice scopes, optically. But a scope ain't worth a squirt if it doesn't do what it is supposed to.

98d73367e6cf8aee2eba0fd8438704da.jpg

Replaced the vx5 with a nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42. 2 oz heavier and 5x less magnification but you can twist those turrets all day and know where it’s going to hit.

Sadly I’m out 1k dollars and have a vx5 I don’t trust. I won’t use it and even though leupold says it’s fine I hesitate to sell it due to its history. Maybe I’ll mount it to a light bipod and use it as a spotter, it’s actually got really nice glass.

Thebear_78":1wh75k3r said:

Replaced the vx5 with a nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42. 2 oz heavier and 5x less magnification but you can twist those turrets all day and know where it’s going to hit.

Sadly I’m out 1k dollars and have a vx5 I don’t trust. I won’t use it and even though leupold says it’s fine I hesitate to sell it due to its history. Maybe I’ll mount it to a light bipod and use it as a spotter, it’s actually got really nice glass.

Bear,
When you say Leupold said it's fine, what do you mean?
Did they check it out and do nothing or did they do a repair?

JD338

Thebear_78":xwgif6j0 said:

That 2.5x10 NF is just about my favorite optic if I plan on dialing. Amazing glass and works super, every time.

I sold two VX6’s that were both rebuilt 2x to another forum member. I told him all about the rebuilds and he seems to like them and uses them. I believe they work great for him as he isn’t a big twister and for that application they’re probably just fine.

It stinks taking a bath with these high end optics. You’ll not likely ever lose money with a NF though.

They have it. I’m assuming it will be “fixed” when I get it back.

You can not go wrong with NF. I have 5 or 6 of them.

Buy once cry once.

SJB358":qbg4pd15 said:
Thebear_78":qbg4pd15 said:

That 2.5x10 NF is just about my favorite optic if I plan on dialing. Amazing glass and works super, every time.

I sold two VX6’s that were both rebuilt 2x to another forum member. I told him all about the rebuilds and he seems to like them and uses them. I believe they work great for him as he isn’t a big twister and for that application they’re probably just fine.

It stinks taking a bath with these high end optics. You’ll not likely ever lose money with a NF though.
I used to be a big leupold guy, had a whole safe full of gold rings. I have more and more nightforce and only a few light set and forget leupold left

FOTIS":2hi4q2cg said:

Buy once cry once.
I was chasing that grail. Light, good glass, good magnification range, reliable adjustment..... it fell short.

Thebear_78":jzl8hloe said:
FOTIS":jzl8hloe said:

Buy once cry once.
I was chasing that grail. Light, good glass, good magnification range, reliable adjustment..... it fell short.

I am right there with you Bear. I won't touch a new Leupold variable with a 100ft pole. Been burned a buncha times now. I still love their little 6x36's and the older VariX III's to some extent. I have had very little trouble with them.

If I am cranking on a dial, it'll be a Bushy, NF, or SS for me I think.

Good scopes don't need many excuses. I for one hope that Leupold fixes their issues. I use strong mounts in stable rifles so they really shouldn't act like a crazy person is steering them.

I have 5 Leupolds and 3 of the 5 have had to be repaired :(.
They just don't make like they used too.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2i7n1c8i said:
I have 5 Leupolds and 3 of the 5 have had to be repaired :(.
They just don't make like they used too.

Blessings,
Dan

That's heartbreaking to me, yet when asked out in a public forum they basically said it's the shooters who were flawed.. :roll:

Back