Retired Officer's Qual

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This morning I was at the law enforcement range that I used to run. Got to hang out with an old buddy, who ran me through the course. It's a pretty easy qual, but is timed.

Some of it is from the holster, some from the ready position. Some strong hand, some weak hand shooting. All of it timed. I used my 45 1911 Kimber, which is what I generally carry. Still.

Shot 100% on the course. Feel good about that. Pretty well expected that I would. Nice way to spend the morning:

YAxhkX2l.jpg

Doing this allows retired officers to carry concealed in all 50 states. Supposedly. I understand that some states aren't real fond of it.

Regards, Guy

Congratulations. That is encouraging, no doubt. Nothing like proving what you suspect. I should imagine that some states can be sticky in some instances.

Nice job Guy! I am supposed to do my qualification in a couple weeks but my shoulder hasn't healed enough to do it and I don't want to injure it somehow. Not worth it. I'll have to wait until spring.

wvbuckbuster":1hzyd0s3 said:
Good job. What load do you use for your qualifying? Dan.

Today I was shooting 185 gr hollowpoint Nosler factory ammo. When I slow down a bit and focus on accuracy, that stuff shoots terrific.

Guy

Guy, NJ, NY and Delaware are the usual culprits. I've spoken with Firearms examiners in those states specifically regarding concealed carry and the HR-218. NJ wants you to place your gun in a locked box and in the trunk when travelling through. I went back and forth with the Examiner and he finally said "as long as your only stopping for gas or lunch you'll be covered. The last Governor changed the law for the better and added the words "all qualified officers may carry concealed". This has not been changed back and would cover us. NY is another weird state. Some say no problem and others say "maybe". A retired police officer that I worked with was dropping off a friend at the airport and was stopped. NYPD gave him a hard time and told him he needed a NY permit to carry concealed. He showed them him his badge and HR-218 card and they pretended to not understand what it was. They eventually walked away and let him go on his way. I spoke with a member of the Delaware State Police and he basically said no problem. I qualified with a retired Lieutenant from LAPD and he told me that out of state retired officers are not bothered and are welcomed based the the County you travel through. (now that's interesting). I was stopped in Colorado while travelling out for an Elk Hunt. The Sheriff was very interested in my HR-218 card but wished me well. States really don't have a choice, they have to accept it as it is a Federal permit although I'm sure that grinds a nerve with some States.

DD - I've heard of officers being prosecuted for it, but can't find any actual records.

Maybe they don't exist, or maybe they are swept under the rug? I dunno.

Hawaii would be interesting as most of us fly there. I didn't take a handgun, but I understand they don't recognize the federal law. It's all a little "iffy" for me.

Good thing is, places like Idaho and Utah will issue you a handgun if you don't show up with one... :wink:

Kidding!

Guy, a good number of years ago NJ tried to prosecute a retiree for that exact thing. They told him His federal permit was not honored. It went to court and there was quite a settlement, however the settlement was sealed by the state and nothing further was said about it. I think that convinced a lot of other questionable states to just tolerate it. I think Hawaii would fall under the same category. Getting a concealed carry in that state is damn near impossible and yet they have more than enough crime.

Great shooting Guy. You just can't beat the feel of a Kimber 1911.

JD338

NJ has to be among the WORST violators of HR218. If you are a retired NJ LEO you are still required to obtain a pistol permit. Under their permit, a retired LEO MUST requalify every 6 months. And ......... once they reach 75 years of age the permit is no longer renewable. Permits can be denied at the time of retirement and NJ will not recognize an HR218 entitlement without their permit.

They have also declared HP pistol ammo to be illegal. Under HR218, a qualifying LEO may carry the ammo that he carried on duty. Virtually all LEOs carry HP ammo. But, NJ WILL arrest a retired LEO who is caught with HP ammo.

In NY, a state law was passed that allows a qualified retired LEO to carry his duty (high capacity) magazines. But that law does not extend past its borders. So if a NY retired (qualified) LEO leaves the state with his firearm he must comply with the magazine restrictions of the state of destination. That would mean buying 10rd magazines for most states. HR218 should be amended to correct this.

If all of this isn't bad enough, a few left-wing liberal elected officials in NY have just proposed removing the authority to carry firearms from ALL peace officers throughout the state.

I was just about to mention this based on your last statement Guy...in all 50 states...

NJ SUX :evil:

KinleyWater":2nlxcgky said:
Good for you. A day at the range is almost always a good day.

I get over there quite a bit. Have been a member for 20+ years, on the board for six years or so. It's a 15 min drive for me, 20 at the outside. So I get over there a lot.

600 yard rifle range
Several pistol ranges
trap range
archery range
indoor air-rifle range

It's really got a lot. I think we're at 1,200 members now.

Guy

Well speak of the Devil Guys. I just read this morning where the NJ state pistol and Revolver association along with the NRA are suing the state of NJ for not honoring LEOSA. The state is advising that all LEOSA people have to get a NJ state concealed permit if they want to carry. The NRA and the NJ association have said not so and you are violating Federal law. It's eventually going to end up in court as it did last time and hopefully going to cause the State some good money. Also, hopefully this settlement will be made public. The state is also going against what Gov. Christi added to the law which states "all qualified officers". This is going to be good to follow if the state doesn't realize the errors of its ways.

While we, as citizens, are expected to abide by the law and could pay a heavy penalty if we go astray; governments themselves regularly violate the laws and often boast about it. What a country.

Back