Muzzy Elk

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
Monday morning my brothers long awaited (22years) Limited Entry hunt for elk started. He has been scouting the area like a mad man and had found 4-5 bulls that were first day shooters.

We packed in Sunday night about a mike and a half and set up our spike camp. We had bulls bugling all around us the entire night.

As the sunlight began to lighten the skies we were up and ready. We picked out the closest gnarly growling bull and went after him.

A short time later we spotted cows. He was screaming his guts out but we could not see him. With the wind right, we closed in to 83 yards.

Suddenly he popped into view chasing a cow. As quickly as he appeared he was swallowed up in the new growth quakie trees.

He appeared again and paused in a perfect shooting lane exposing his head, neck, and about 5 ribs behind his shoulder.

My brother shot and the bull dropped in his tracks rolling down the draw. The years of waiting ended at 7:39 am. But then the work started! Luckily we had horses lined up which made quick work of him once we had him ready.

He was shooting my CVA Accura MR. 300 gr. Hornady XTP MG and 70 gr. By weight BH 209 and CCI primers. It is deadly on deer and it did an amazing job on this bull as well!

Shot was high shoulder with no exit. I did not recover the bullet unfortunately.
6c0fac02e46c491b407aef0f44abf924.jpg

591726d5b3954ed83f21c73d771c12c2.jpg

4e42351aea3c63e81bda2f475c67e142.jpg

He tagged a beautiful bull. His hard work definitely paid off. Congratulations.

He was definitely the monarch of the glen. Undoubtedly he will provide some rich memories for each of you far beyond the days of enjoying the meals he provides. Again, congratulations.

Back