Nosler Solid Base

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Working a deal to pick up a some 150 and 162 grain Solid Base bullets to use in my 7mms (7 x 57, 7mm-08, and 280 Remington). I have had some for other calibers and have had good luck using them in 25.06.
It is my understanding the 162s were just made for a short while and load data is available in the #3 Nosler manual.
Anybody still using the solid base for deer and other game?5E296EA6-95DF-4FEE-A2BB-3CFA09FFD8AF.jpeg

I used the solid base boattails in my 6mm, 280, and 30-06 until Nosler no longer made them and came out with the BT. I just never warmed up to the BT's and at first to me at least they opened too fast and did not hold together very well. I really liked them and they worked on everything I shot them at. I would have to say that would be a good deal. I'm very happy with my replacement though which is the AccuBond.

Made the deal and got 500 Hornady 154 grain Interlocks as well.
Hopefully I can find a load that works in one of my rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still have several boxes of 52 grain 22 cal solid bases. My 220 Swift shoot them into very small groups. Also in a long gone 25/06 the 120 solid bases were great. That rifle and bullet killed 2 elk.

Regards
Semper Fi

That's a great score on those Solid Base bullets, the 154 gr Hornady's are an excellent bullet too. Looks to be at least several years worth of shooting there. I have a box of 277 150 gr Solid base bullets to try out sometime.

My 7RM really liked those 162's, and so did I. It was the bullet I used to win a Bronze Medal in our State Games. 1st shot whitetail killers !

Great score. You done well. Strictly my opinion but in all but a few cartridge/bullet weight combinations I'd rather have those old solid base bullets than a BT. As long as your rifle shoots them you will be good to go.

I have used the Hornady 154 in both a 7x57 and 7WSM with great success, it was THE whitetail bullet in both rifles(a sporterized 96 mauser and a M70 Shadow i reworked into a featherweight synthetic)

The 154 Hornady's and IMR 4350 works good in my old Ruger tang safety 7x57. It has accounted for many deer, a few antelope and 2 elk. It just works.

Regards

Keith1369":2ehjqqvy said:
The 154 Hornady's and IMR 4350 works good in my old Ruger tang safety 7x57. It has accounted for many deer, a few antelope and 2 elk. It just works.

Regards
I’m glad to hear that. I have a Ruger tang safety in 7x57 which is a bit particular about what it likes, to say the least. No tack driver with anything I’ve tried yet but did find a 150 grain BT load and a load with 139 Hornady that worked well enough for deer hunting and managed to take a couple of deer with it. The 139 grain load uses IMR 4320 which I purchased especially to try in the 7x57 after reading about it in an article. For some reason, perhaps because it is a struggle to find something that works in it, I’ve always liked hunting with it.
Those 154’s will definately get a trial. Thanks for passing on the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alderman":2g78hxqs said:
Keith1369":2g78hxqs said:

Regards
I’m glad to hear that. I have a Ruger tang safety in 7x57 which is a bit particular about what it likes, to say the least. No tack driver with anything I’ve tried yet but did find a 150 grain BT load and a load with 139 Hornady that worked well enough for deer hunting and managed to take a couple of deer with it. The 139 grain load uses IMR 4320 which I purchased especially to try in the 7x57 after reading about it in an article. For some reason, perhaps because it is a struggle to find something that works in it, I’ve always liked hunting with it.
Those 154’s will definately get a trial. Thanks for passing on the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure my Ruger isn't a tack driver either but it's has put lots of meat on the table. I don't remember any real long shots however.

Regards

Back