1917 rifle to 9.3x62 ?

Ray - I thoroughly enjoy my handloading hobby! (y)

But I suspect this old rifle is going to remain a 30-06 anyway. It's mostly used by my son for the past ten years and he likes it as a 30-06. And why not? Everything he's shot it at ended up in the freezer in short order.

It's been an interesting idea though - I think any of these cartridges would work well with that old rifle:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Not much work would need to be done at all for any of them. But... I have a large amount of 30-06 ammo, brass, and bullets on hand from 110 gr to 220 grains... So, it'll likely just remain as is.

Guy

Guy Miner":o2eq3vnv said:
Ray - I thoroughly enjoy my handloading hobby! (y)

But I suspect this old rifle is going to remain a 30-06 anyway. It's mostly used by my son for the past ten years and he likes it as a 30-06. And why not? Everything he's shot it at ended up in the freezer in short order.

It's been an interesting idea though - I think any of these cartridges would work well with that old rifle:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Not much work would need to be done at all for any of them. But... I have a large amount of 30-06 ammo, brass, and bullets on hand from 110 gr to 220 grains... So, it'll likely just remain as is.

Guy
I keep wanting to get my commercial 98 mauser rebored to 338/06, but the rifle is the 1st 30/06 ive owned. That old interarms mark X shoots so good im terrified to change it lol. Although the 30/06 shoots great and has proven to be a great killer for me , for some reason I always end up enjoying the oddball calibers and the 30/06 sets in the safe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I rebored a Ruger Hawkeye to 9.3x62 and man it’s been a pile of fun Guy. Cases and components are really pretty easy to fine and it’s got some extra thump. I don’t particularly prescribe to it being a short range job myself. I started out with 250 Accubonds at 2400 and had zero issues whatsoever hammering my 400 and 500 yard steel with amazing ease. I’ve bumped up the loads to 2650 and it’s been even easier with a lower midrange.

On the Whelen, JES will do a 1-10 in either cartridge so there is no top end for bullet weights and the extra twist doesn’t hurt bullet expansion further out a bit!

I hope you give it a shot. It’s 250 round trip and not a ton of money for a decent set of dies, some cases and some Nosler 2nds. Mine went from being a chunky 280 to being a svelte 9.3.

SJB358":1y11c3wq said:
I rebored a Ruger Hawkeye to 9.3x62 and man it’s been a pile of fun Guy. Cases and components are really pretty easy to fine and it’s got some extra thump. I don’t particularly prescribe to it being a short range job myself. I started out with 250 Accubonds at 2400 and had zero issues whatsoever hammering my 400 and 500 yard steel with amazing ease. I’ve bumped up the loads to 2650 and it’s been even easier with a lower midrange.

On the Whelen, JES will do a 1-10 in either cartridge so there is no top end for bullet weights and the extra twist doesn’t hurt bullet expansion further out a bit!

I hope you give it a shot. It’s 250 round trip and not a ton of money for a decent set of dies, some cases and some Nosler 2nds. Mine went from being a chunky 280 to being a svelte 9.3.
You holding out on me Scotty! I'm gonna need your data on that 2650 fps lol. I never broke 2600 fps with RL15 and the 250 AB. And I cant remember that newer powder u were using.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back