Scopes for 45/70 govt?

Looks like the going price is $399. Midway beats the others by $60.
Sportsman’s warehouse was 349. Pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to order another one and put it on my AR15...red dots don't work so well with my eyes these days.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Same. My Romeo5 sig red dot is fine with my eyes out to 50 yards.

I've tried everything from Aimpoint to Eotech, I still do ok with them... but only ok... I'm sure I'm going back to a good ole fashioned scope on the AR, just not sure I want to do it right now being so close to the holidays and all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I love the little 2.5x Leupold for Marlin lever actions, particularly the big bores. It's got great eye-relief at 4.9" - important with the heavy-recoiling loads. A good field of view. Decent glass. Light weight, only about 8 ounces.

I figure it will mostly be used at modest range on medium to large game, so 2.5x is no problem.

Mine is mounted in Quick Detach rings so I can go to the factory sights if desired:

mALhPsGh.jpg

6oNzMKWh.jpg

It's funny - twenty years ago I had this scope on the original model 1895 Marlin Guide Gun, then the 45/70 1895 that replaced the Guide Gun, then I had it on my 1917 30-06 for a while, and on the 30-30 Glenfield... Now it's back on a Marlin 1895 45/70. I REALLY like the scope. :grin:

BTW - it has a great reputation for hard-use applications. Famous brown bear guide Phil Shoemaker has had one on his .458 Win Mag stopping rifle for decades.

Regards, Guy

Thank you Guy! Great testimony for simple and rugged

Thank you Guy! Great testimony for simple and rugged

Guy Miner":39hv0myq said:
I love the little 2.5x Leupold for Marlin lever actions, particularly the big bores. It's got great eye-relief at 4.9" - important with the heavy-recoiling loads. A good field of view. Decent glass. Light weight, only about 8 ounces.

I figure it will mostly be used at modest range on medium to large game, so 2.5x is no problem.

Mine is mounted in Quick Detach rings so I can go to the factory sights if desired:

mALhPsGh.jpg

6oNzMKWh.jpg

It's funny - twenty years ago I had this scope on the original model 1895 Marlin Guide Gun, then the 45/70 1895 that replaced the Guide Gun, then I had it on my 1917 30-06 for a while, and on the 30-30 Glenfield... Now it's back on a Marlin 1895 45/70. I REALLY like the scope. :grin:

BTW - it has a great reputation for hard-use applications. Famous brown bear guide Phil Shoemaker has had one on his .458 Win Mag stopping rifle for decades.

Regards, Guy

I have a leupold scope like that on my old Winchester 9422. Real light weight and let’s me see those busy tails in the trees again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That little 2.5x Leupold is pretty much perfect for a close range rifle like the 45-70. The older 4x33 Leupold's would be great too.

Well, I got cold feet regarding my Nikon Buckmaster. Ordered a DiamondBack Viper HS In a 2.5-10x-44mm. Great price 249 at Midway.

It arrived yesterday and I mounted it. I spent a good hour plus mounting it, I noticed my weaver base had a twist to it. If it was level on the front, it wasn’t level on the back and vice versus.

Took that off and found my remlin’s receiver is the same. Hmm.

Cleaned everything up, but the base back on and torqued the screws with my wheeler FAT. The the rings trying hard to torque everything perfectly and align it perfectly.

First shot on the 25 yard no bore sight, showing my total lack of confidence was unwarranted. Used Federal Powershocks that went through the flood as I’m low on the BST.
024883b990510702eed24e6a6a023f87.jpg

Two inch dot.
Moved to the 100 yard lane without adjusting.

Put three more at a hundred on a fresh 1” dot. I’m ready to hunt. No bore sight, no clicks. I’ve never had this happen. What does Dr Mike day from time to time? I’d rather be lucky than good... anyways, my confidence is sky high.. just need to wait for the buck of my dreams to show up.
9880aa3a0527ad625378e2363061d468.jpg

I think I might have learned a take away.

If you can shoot a better group my tapping your scope between shots. Time to replace it.

I don’t think I’ve ever done that before, but it was working on the nikon. Only a matter of time before it fails hard.

Well, I saw the first picture and I was super excited. My mind concluded that this was three shots at 100 yards! I was salivating at the thought of a true one hole group. Then I read the commentary you provided.

I do believe you are ready. That sort of accuracy is more than adequate for game waaaaaay out there! You're golden. I've had good success with Vortex scopes in the past. And the Powershocks will work just fine on whitetail. We're pulling for you.

mjc,
Looks like you are good to go.
Go forth and slay the mighty beast with confidence.
Best of luck to you this season.

JD338

Sat on the stand tonight. Had an 8 ptr holding at 62 yards down wind of me...hard 8 does he was herding.. I was winded, but they never really figured me out...several does were on shooting range with the bow. After dinner I’ll check the video.

Guy Miner":2qnt9os5 said:

mALhPsGh.jpg

6oNzMKWh.jpg

Regards, Guy

I use the same as Guy does on my 45-70. It isn’t perfect for making tiny groups but it is an amazing hunting scope.

Thanks Scotty. Somewhere down the road I’ll pick up one of those...

I sent the Buckmaster scope out for service

Hunted the rifle today with a Vortex Viper HS 2-10x44.

I shot a meat buck today. Dbl lung heart pass through... ran 70 yardstick. Blood trail was 18” wide in most places.

Sat in the blind 6am-5:45pm. He was the second deer I saw at 1pm

The wind was gusting to 50 and we had Rain.

My sons shot a meat buck as well. So later this week I’ll be processing.

Lynn,

I have the same scope, VX-3 1.5-5x20mm on my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag. Very clear and bright.

Guy,
That Leupold M8 2.5x is a classic. I have a couple M8 3x that, like yours, is tough as nails. One is on a Ruger 77/44 44 Rem Mag and the other is on a Fraunchi Affinity 20 ga for turkey hunting. I also have a M8 4x that now sits on a Remington 541T-HB 22 rimfire. That scope has done duty on 2 muzzleloaders and the Weatherby Mark V 416 Weatherby Mag. All of them have never lost their zeros.
Those old Leupold fixed power scopes are good!

JD338

Well congratulations on the deer hunt! (y)

When you mentioned that your riflescope was pretty much perfectly zeroed as soon as you mounted it - I recalled a similar thing happening to me once. Only once.

I think it was when I bought a used 3x Leupold a few years ago and put it on my Ruger Number One. As I recall it hit beautifully, I may have needed a couple of clicks to actually zero it, but only a couple.

Like several others here, I really like the fixed - power Leupolds. Have them in 2.5x, 3x, three in 6x, and one in 12x. All are great scopes!

Sold a 4x Leupold on one of my rifles years ago. Kinda wish I'd kept both the rifle and scope.

Guy

Guy, thank you. So cool, if it happened to us once ... maybe it will happen again someday!

Back