Leupold Tracking Issues

Who cares who makes them? I’ve had one issue with an SS in 15+ years of using them.... and SWFA replaces that scope immediately.... even though it fell out of the truck and bent the turret assembly. I believe the standard series are made in the Philippines, and the HDs are made in Japan by LOW.

Tasco doesn’t “make” Tasco scopes.... Bushnell doesn’t “make” Bushnell scopes..... most optics lines done “make” their own optics.... they contract one of only a handful of manufacturers on the planet, and that manufacturer builds the optic to the designated spec. In this case, Tasco created the original SS design, then SWFA bought the patent and the manufacturing rights, and rather than sell them through a chain of distribution, where the product is marked-up each time..... SWFA sells directly to the consumer.

I’d avoid the 16x and 20x SS fixed powers.... they don’t offer the same resolution or field of view that the 10x and 12x offer. For what it’s worth.... I’ve never had an issue pounding on stuff out past 1000, with the 10x/12x versions.

I'm just curious who made them is all? If I spend money on something, I want to know who makes the product and where it's going. But anyway, thanks for your first hand experience and knowledge with them. I'll keep that in mind. With what you are saying, then the 12x maybe in my near future.

I put a 20x SWFA on my 204 Ruger and a little disappointed with the clarity , I think it is too much power. Other than that it is a decent quality scope. Made in Japan. My Mark 4 has been a thorn in my side , but my VX3i has been stellar.

remingtonman_25_06":1ufdmjfk said:
I'm just curious who made them is all? If I spend money on something, I want to know who makes the product and where it's going. But anyway, thanks for your first hand experience and knowledge with them. I'll keep that in mind. With what you are saying, then the 12x maybe in my near future.

I can understand that.

I guess that’s two things the Leupolds have vs. the SWFA.... 1. Leupolds are much better looking scopes.... and 2. You know where they’re made (mostly).

Songdog- Ya, I maybe a little overly biased towards Leupold since they're made in my home state of Oregon, about 3 hours west of me. Plus, that's all my family and I have used for 30 years. Weve never had any issues with them, and if we did, they always took care of us. I have bought a few other brands over the years, nikon, burris, vortex, but I wasn't overly impressed with the burris or vortex. I still have an older 6-18x buckmaster w/mildot on my 223, and a 4-12x BDC rimfire on my CZ 457 22 LR, but all my big game rifles have and still wear Leupolds. My wife has a 4-12x vortex diamondback BDC on her kimber lightweight 7/08 that is nice, but we dont dial with it. Anyway, I think I'm going to try and get the SS 12x MOA Quad if I can find one on sale during black friday :) I only care about good glass and repeatable turrets, I can deal with everything else, even if it is ugly, haha.

We have 4 of the LRP scopes in 6.5-20 that have tracked well from 100 to 1100 for lots of shooting.

I do have one rifle with an LRP in 3.5-15 that is grouping fantastic but come ups are way off from dope and I wonder if it’s not a scope issue.

25.....If you don’t like the 12x... I’ll buy it from you.

As a side note.... the SS is great on a .22lr.... especially for teaching long range shooting. They offer a 6x version that’s great, the fixed scopes have adjustable focus down to 25 yards, and you can dial the crap out of them without a worry.

You can have a whole lot of fun with an accurate .22, a consistent dial-able scope, a box of clay pigeons, a brick of .22lr, and a 400 yard range..... and you’ll learn more about “long range shooting”, than you could in 10 years with a centerfire.

My SWFA 10x is marked "Made in Japan". It's definitely state of the art from 1985, but it just works and is built like a tank.

I read a very long article that traced it's lineage to a 1980s military contract. Since mine is marked with a NSN number, that makes sense.

Well color me corrected.... and pleasantly so.

I just took a look at the 10x I bought last Black Friday.... it’s marked:

SWFA, Inc
MADE IN JAPAN

Here's the list

Attachments

• image-1059x1440.png
    image-1059x1440.png
    697.5 KB · Views: 1,280
Is that the list from snipers hide? If so it’s the list my buddy Marc and frank galli put together in their precision rifle course. The list doesn’t come close to showing all the leupold failures they have seen.

He warned me away from the vx5, I listened to the leupold rep, should have listened to Marc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a basic lader test, the percentage of accuracy of adjustment.

Percentage of 100

The chart is rewritten in a percentage of 100. A scope that tracked 99% moved the reticle 9.9 Mils when the optic was dialed to 10 Mils. A scope that tracks 101% moved the reticle 10.1 Mils when 10 Mils was dialed on. Scopes can vary in both directions.

Wow, that's a pretty good read with some very good info. I dont see the SS line up there however...Looks like in my price range, the MK4 or the NF SHV is pretty decent. Besides the one MK4 that didnt score that well. I'm actually sending my MK4 4-14x back to midway. I cant get the reticle or paralax to focus worth a crap. I'm going to replace it with a NF 4-14x SHV.

The 4-14 f1 is a great scope.
260712828979032e3526760c7f16ff0a.jpg

Back