Absolutely No Idea Which Rifle I’m Taking In The Woods

Well, I spent the first two days in WV. Opening day was unproductive but I got some beautiful pictures of the sunrise over the mountains. Elevation 2867 feet.

Day two, not so bad. Saw 9 total. Yesterday afternoon I spent about 3 1/2 hours playing cat and mouse with 2 does and an 8 point across a power line. They had my wind because it was swirling. I could hear them huffing and milling around because of it every now and then but they didn’t blow and flat out run. So i was starting to loose light and belly crawled across the 150yd wide power line to where I thought I could get a shot. After about an hour of belly crawling across I got to where I wanted to be. I got to a spot I could stand without being seen and could hear them heading towards me. Never could get a shot at the buck but had the crosshairs on the biggest doe. I leaned out to get the bullet by a sapling covering the crease behind her shoulder. As I was leaning out, the mud under the leaves gave way and I hit flat on my back with a big root right between my shoulder blades. SO, what seamed like 5 minutes later when I could breathe again they were gone and so was shooting light. That hurt(wish I was still 25) both my back and my pride. On an up note the rifle never touched the ground.

Also, anyone from WV knows it’s mud under the leaves this time of year no matter what. Wow, what a year it’s been for me so far. Can’t believe the mishaps. I’ve never had a year when karma has shoved a cactus where the sun don’t shine like this one. I guess that’s why it’s so special when we connect and end up with meat in the freezer.

I still have gun season next week here in Ohio. Regardless I’m very blessed. I hope you all make that perfect shot and end up with sweaty hunting clothes from packing them out.C43E978E-C8AA-479E-8ED9-D83F87BB9D46.jpeg

Staying an extra day. My pride won’t let me leav it like this. Lol

Sorry about the picture in advance, I was by myself and it is before I dressed him to drag out. Staying a little longer paid off. I ended up with a small buck at last light. Shot him with my 308 at a lasered 189 yards on that same power line. Used a 150 grain Gold Dot bonded at 2980fps. Shot him in the right shoulder breaking the leg joint going in. Then it broke the same joint on the off side and stopped under the hide of the other side. You can see the entrance in the pic. It never took a step and dropped in its tracks. I didn’t even see it kick once. Not a drop of blood on the entrance I’m assuming because it died so quickly. He’s a small buck but with the beating I’ve taken to get the chance at him there was no way I was letting him walk. Meat in the freezer.06FE381A-4C94-4C1F-A2BD-46AF10B7BA12.jpeg

Congrats on your buck and sticking it out. Great job. When you get the chance maybe you could put up a thread with the recovered bullet.

It will probably be after my Ohio hunt next week before I get any posts of the bullet. One thing I am really impressed with is the Burris Fullfield II scope. It’s a 4.5-14x42. I could barely make out the deer, then looking at it through the scope it was like there was full light out. The brightness of that Burris is impressive to say the least. Nikon, Burris, and Leupold are all I use depending of what’s on sale. But now that Nikon quit making riflescopes it looks like it’s just Burris and Leupold.

Great I'll watch for it, good luck in Ohio. We have some Burris FF II scopes but not the 4.5-14x42 so that's good to hear. That seems like it is a lot of scope for the money. The new FF IV's look quite interesting too.

Back