Esteemed Members, Please Relay Your Experiences with 7mm Mau

HAWKEYESATX":31qa6n3f said:
jimbires":31qa6n3f said:
the hornady 139 btsp is a very good whitetail bullet in my 7mm-08 . I think the 7mm-08 and the 7 mauser are about twins , so the bullet should work just as well .
I have to fully agree with you there Jim.
They are as close as any cartridges can get.
That's really good to know about the Hornady 139gr SPBT. Now I'm glad I got them a while back.
I won't have to worry about them blowing up like I would when I had my 7mm Rem Mag.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I'd have to chrony them again to know the velocity for sure , I think I'm running them around 2850 - 2875 . I'm a shoot them in the ribs guy , and these bullets work great . I got a bunch of them doing the Hornady rebates , when I bought my progressive set up .

I've got a Ruger No. 1AB in 7x57 that I simply love! I've used it to harvest a number of Wisconsin whitetails without issue and my youngest son harvested his first deer with it. My favorite load is with Nosler Solid Base 140 grain bullets. I wish they still made it because I'm down to my last 250 of them. I own a number of rifles in different calibers but will always have a soft spot for the 7x57. I believe with the right bullet it is capable of harvesting anything in North America.

Woodleigh makes (IMHO) the best bullet for the 7x57. The 175 gr SP. It like the 160 gr in the 6.5x55 is a sure killer with excellent accuracy and terminal performance.

It's the top one.

Attachments

• ruger no. 1 new.jpg
    ruger no. 1 new.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 552
My wife inherited my Mom's 7mm Improved. Short action so the improvement about makes up for the displaced powder from deep seated bullets. It was rebored and rechambered from a Rem 722 in 222 by my Grandad.

It will hit the bullseye at 100 yards from a cold barrel every time, clean or fouled. 3 shot groups just over an inch.
My mom got a deer and a black bear with it as far as I know. I carried it deer hunting as a kid and took a lot of grouse.

It shoots about as well with cast bullets and a charge of 1680. Great fun and little recoil and the grouse don't see it coming.

Use Sierra Prohunter 120's and Speer 130's that don't seat too deep and it shoots flat.

LOL - my neighbor's wife shot a mountain lion with hers during a deer hunt.

There ya go. My only, feeble, connection with the 7mm Mauser. :)

But I thought it worth mentioning. Big danged cat too.

Guy

Guy Miner":2is9tv25 said:
LOL - my neighbor's wife shot a mountain lion with hers during a deer hunt.

There ya go. My only, feeble, connection with the 7mm Mauser. :)

But I thought it worth mentioning. Big danged cat too.

Guy
Anything and everything helps Guy.

Thank you!

Hawk

jimbires":13hhug7c said:
the hornady 139 btsp is a very good whitetail bullet in my 7mm-08 . I think the 7mm-08 and the 7 mauser are about twins , so the bullet should work just as well .

That's about right. Comparing factory loads though the 7-08 come out ahead. Properly handloaded though the 7x 57 wi;; be slightly ahead of the 7-08. I'll come back to that in a moment.

I have to say I've only shot two deer with the 7x57 and sadly lost them both. My late wife called it a bad luck cartridge for me anyway. First one was back in 1973. The rifle a nice sporter on a 1916 Oveido Mauser. (Updated 1893 Mauser) Shot the deer at roughly 50 yards about 8 AM and it took off at a run. My wife and I looked until dark for the deer with no luck. I found what the coyotes had left the next day by the birds.

Deer number two was hit solidly behind the should from my M70 FWT. The bullet the early 140 gr. Ballistic Tip. I saw quite a large splash of red at impact and the deer left the herd and ran into a gully. I had to climb up a hill to look down into the gully and my foot rolled on some loose rock and I ripped the meniscus out in my right knee. My son in law would go into the gully to find my deer. They carried me more or less back to the truck and took me in to the hospital. I'l still pretty damn mad at them for that. Haven't hunted with them since.

I have done work with the 7x7, the 140 gr. Ballistic tip early one with W760 for an accurate load that does 2800 and a bit FPS. Lately, I've been running the 150 gr. Nosler Partitions at close to 2900 FPS using RL17 with very good accuracy. That last load was the one I'd planned on using for an elk hunt when I had the accident with my pick up truck, exactly one year ago, January 2, 2020. Bad luck again???

As the doc still hasn't cleared me to shoot, I've been thinking that maybe I should try a 160 gr. bullet if and when I'm allowed to do so. IIRC, Jack O'Connor and his wife preferred the 160 gr. bullet for just about everything they hunted when using the cartridge. His wife did some serious shooting with that weight bullet. I know some people say they used Nosler bullets in their 7x57s but as Cactus Jack was pretty buddy buddy with Vernon Speer, it wouldn't surprise me if he just might not have been using Speer bullets, at least in the 7x57.

I feed three 7x57 rifles. A Ruger #1A, Winchester M70 FWT and a custom Mauser that frankly is giving me fits regarding pressure. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Paul B.

I had a cousin several years older than me, a marine, who retired shortly after his last stint in Viet Nam. He took me under his wing and made a shooter out of me, and a gun guy to boot. He was simply crazy about a 7mm. Especially the 7X57 mauser.
He and I got our hands on a couple of old military rifles and proceeded to customize them, first time for both of us. Well the end product didn't look that good and neither one would shoot, too much corrosive priming and powder we finally determined.
I just had to mention those long ago days. Mostly to pay personal tribute to an american patriot, who was my friend and mentor, and who has passed beyond the boundaries of this life.

Around 1980 or so my wife got 2 rifles, she picked the first, a Ruger .44 Auto carbine and I picked the second, a Ruger tang safety 7X57 mauser. I was also shooting a new rifle, a M700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. Lefthand. As always with me my goal was to find a couple of loads that shot the tightest groups possible with hunting weight bullets as these were to become main hunting loads.
That Ruger never did impress me with it's accuracy. About 1 to 11/2 inch groups at 100 yards were the best it could muster. But that's still whitetail accuracy. We did a lot of shooting back then and my wife became a much better shooter than the rifle did. She collected a nice 8 point and several does all with one shot kills. All with 139 grain Hornady spire points or 140 grain Nosler Partition bullets loaded with IMR 4350. The rifle was comfortable to carry and comfortable to shoot. As long as we hunted deer and hogs I never felt she was undergunned.
So time passed and she got hurt at work and quit hunting. After awhile she wanted to sell a gun to buy something or other and I put up a squawk as I didn't want to part with either. But she was insistent and after all they were her guns, so I agreed. I couldn't really appreciate the 7X57 as it was a right handed bolt gun and I'm lefthanded. But I could, and do, shoot the Ruger . 44 Auto carbine. So she sold her 7 mm mauser.
Really though, it had never meant the same things to her as it had to me. And she cared not at all how many elephants old Bell had killed with the cartridge.
But I'm still well served with the 7mm caliber as I still have my old M700 in 7mm Rem Mag.
BTW, after much shooting I determined the 140 grain class of bullets is where the old mauser shined. And the heavier bullets best served the magnum cartridge.

I have loaded for my mothers 7x57 for about 15 years now.

Hers is primarily used for mule deer so typically we have loaded a light 139-140 grain bullet on top of IMR 4064 for about 2600 fps. Her Interarms Mauser is kinda heavy for her but almost recoil free with those mild loads. She’s killed a dozen deer or so with it, only one or maybe two required more than a single hit. She doesn’t like to shoot past 200 yards or so but is a good shot and punches her tag.

One year she drew an elk tag so I stepped her up to a 160 grain Sierra Gameking loaded with IMR 4350 for about 2500 fps. She killed a cow elk at about 150 yards with a single round through the lungs and heart. That’s the only elk she’s ever shot at.

My wife uses the ballistically similar 7mm-08; she’s only been hunting for five years now, only two years with the 7mm-08.

With 140 grain bullets she’s taken one deer and one elk. It’s her favorite rifle.

I have a sister that uses a Savage 99 in .284 WCF that has done well with it. But I could go on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJGunner":29ez6dyr said:
jimbires":29ez6dyr said:

That's about right. Comparing factory loads though the 7-08 come out ahead. Properly handloaded though the 7x 57 wi;; be slightly ahead of the 7-08. I'll come back to that in a moment.

I have to say I've only shot two deer with the 7x57 and sadly lost them both. My late wife called it a bad luck cartridge for me anyway. First one was back in 1973. The rifle a nice sporter on a 1916 Oveido Mauser. (Updated 1893 Mauser) Shot the deer at roughly 50 yards about 8 AM and it took off at a run. My wife and I looked until dark for the deer with no luck. I found what the coyotes had left the next day by the birds.

Deer number two was hit solidly behind the should from my M70 FWT. The bullet the early 140 gr. Ballistic Tip. I saw quite a large splash of red at impact and the deer left the herd and ran into a gully. I had to climb up a hill to look down into the gully and my foot rolled on some loose rock and I ripped the meniscus out in my right knee. My son in law would go into the gully to find my deer. They carried me more or less back to the truck and took me in to the hospital. I'l still pretty damn mad at them for that. Haven't hunted with them since.

I have done work with the 7x7, the 140 gr. Ballistic tip early one with W760 for an accurate load that does 2800 and a bit FPS. Lately, I've been running the 150 gr. Nosler Partitions at close to 2900 FPS using RL17 with very good accuracy. That last load was the one I'd planned on using for an elk hunt when I had the accident with my pick up truck, exactly one year ago, January 2, 2020. Bad luck again???

As the doc still hasn't cleared me to shoot, I've been thinking that maybe I should try a 160 gr. bullet if and when I'm allowed to do so. IIRC, Jack O'Connor and his wife preferred the 160 gr. bullet for just about everything they hunted when using the cartridge. His wife did some serious shooting with that weight bullet. I know some people say they used Nosler bullets in their 7x57s but as Cactus Jack was pretty buddy buddy with Vernon Speer, it wouldn't surprise me if he just might not have been using Speer bullets, at least in the 7x57.

I feed three 7x57 rifles. A Ruger #1A, Winchester M70 FWT and a custom Mauser that frankly is giving me fits regarding pressure. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Paul B.
Paul,

I wouldn't attribute your getting hurt with the rifle and caliber you're hunting with.
I know there's been plenty of times where I was hunting on a steep incline, or decline, and the side of the mountain was full of loose shale, and I was sliding, and tripping every other step or more.
I hear ya about using middle weight projectiles. I just have to keep remembering to equal sectional densities to .30 cal bullets, and equal the velocity range to the .30-06, and I think I'll be ok.
From what I'm seeing, the 7mm Mauser doesn't need to be hotrodded to be effective.
You know, now that I think about it, it seems like every time I was TDY in the Air Force, I got injured as well.
The worst one was when I was down at Davis-Monthan AFB, going through Ground Launch Cruise Missile school, learning how to fight Soviet Spetsnaz teams, and protecting the missile launchers, I tore my left interior miniscule cartilage, right at the end of the 14 week training. I went back to my duty station, the 89th Missile Security Squadron, and the people in the back office were jerks, and they pushed me to go back to the field too soon. So, now, I live with that injury, and arthritis, because of not being allowed to heal correctly.
Oh well...

Hawk

Darkhorse":3gr4cli2 said:
I had a cousin several years older than me, a marine, who retired shortly after his last stint in Viet Nam. He took me under his wing and made a shooter out of me, and a gun guy to boot. He was simply crazy about a 7mm. Especially the 7X57 mauser.
He and I got our hands on a couple of old military rifles and proceeded to customize them, first time for both of us. Well the end product didn't look that good and neither one would shoot, too much corrosive priming and powder we finally determined.
I just had to mention those long ago days. Mostly to pay personal tribute to an american patriot, who was my friend and mentor, and who has passed beyond the boundaries of this life.

Around 1980 or so my wife got 2 rifles, she picked the first, a Ruger .44 Auto carbine and I picked the second, a Ruger tang safety 7X57 mauser. I was also shooting a new rifle, a M700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. Lefthand. As always with me my goal was to find a couple of loads that shot the tightest groups possible with hunting weight bullets as these were to become main hunting loads.
That Ruger never did impress me with it's accuracy. About 1 to 11/2 inch groups at 100 yards were the best it could muster. But that's still whitetail accuracy. We did a lot of shooting back then and my wife became a much better shooter than the rifle did. She collected a nice 8 point and several does all with one shot kills. All with 139 grain Hornady spire points or 140 grain Nosler Partition bullets loaded with IMR 4350. The rifle was comfortable to carry and comfortable to shoot. As long as we hunted deer and hogs I never felt she was undergunned.
So time passed and she got hurt at work and quit hunting. After awhile she wanted to sell a gun to buy something or other and I put up a squawk as I didn't want to part with either. But she was insistent and after all they were her guns, so I agreed. I couldn't really appreciate the 7X57 as it was a right handed bolt gun and I'm lefthanded. But I could, and do, shoot the Ruger . 44 Auto carbine. So she sold her 7 mm mauser.
Really though, it had never meant the same things to her as it had to me. And she cared not at all how many elephants old Bell had killed with the cartridge.
But I'm still well served with the 7mm caliber as I still have my old M700 in 7mm Rem Mag.
BTW, after much shooting I determined the 140 grain class of bullets is where the old mauser shined. And the heavier bullets best served the magnum cartridge.
I sure am thankful for your cousins service to our country, and him instilling his passion of shooting and hunting with you.
We have a lot of Marines on the Nosler boards, and they do a great job sharing their experiences with their favorite cartridges, and animals they hunt.
I'm starting to think that the "mild" 7mm's are just about the way to go, other than the tried and true .30-06.
I just recently acquired 3 Remington rifles in .30-06, a M700, an M78, and a M7600. I like them a lot, and the regular M700 fits me extremely well, and it's the most balanced rifle I own. It sure comes to the shoulder, and on target very quickly.
Thank you for your thoughts, and sharing about the little 7mm Mauser.
I appreciate it!

Hawk

filmjunkie4ever":snhlnfpd said:
I have loaded for my mothers 7x57 for about 15 years now.

Hers is primarily used for mule deer so typically we have loaded a light 139-140 grain bullet on top of IMR 4064 for about 2600 fps. Her Interarms Mauser is kinda heavy for her but almost recoil free with those mild loads. She’s killed a dozen deer or so with it, only one or maybe two required more than a single hit. She doesn’t like to shoot past 200 yards or so but is a good shot and punches her tag.

One year she drew an elk tag so I stepped her up to a 160 grain Sierra Gameking loaded with IMR 4350 for about 2500 fps. She killed a cow elk at about 150 yards with a single round through the lungs and heart. That’s the only elk she’s ever shot at.

My wife uses the ballistically similar 7mm-08; she’s only been hunting for five years now, only two years with the 7mm-08.

With 140 grain bullets she’s taken one deer and one elk. It’s her favorite rifle.

I have a sister that uses a Savage 99 in .284 WCF that has done well with it. But I could go on and on.

Hoo Boy!!
That's about as good as you can get right there with the "mild" 7mm's.
Although, the .284 Win is on that cusp of not being so "mild". LOL
Yeah, I'm thinking the 139-154 gr bullets are optimal for the 7x57.
They don't need to be shot at blistering speeds, just need to equal the 165 - 180 gr .30 cal bullets like from the .30-06.

Hawk

" wouldn't attribute your getting hurt with the rifle and caliber you're hunting with."

The thing is, the only two deer I have ever lost on a hunt I was carrying a rifle in 7x57. When I had my vehicle accident a year and two days ago, I was on my way to the range to do a final check on he sights prior to leaving for my elk hunt just four days later. the two rifles I had that morning were both chambered to 7x57. Kind of makes one think that for me the cartridge is jinxed. Makes me wonder if I should do a fourth try. First time, lost deer. second time ruined knee. Third time bad wreck, totaled my truck and five days in hospital. If I try a fourth time, will I survive? I say that somewhat tongue in cheek but you have to wonder.

Still and all I really want to hunt with that cartridge. I used to love shooting some seriously hard kicking cartridges but at 82 years of age, thing like the threat of retinal separation things I have to consider. The 7x57 looks like a very reasonable choice. Jinx or just bad luck? Damned if I know. I'd like to get just one more elk hunt under my belt before I hang it all up and just shoot at the range. Might even try for a deer tag if I can draw one for the Kaibab.
Paul B.

Tang safety 77. I’ve taken a couple of deer with it. It is a finicky eater but does okay on a diet of 150 grain bullets.

Alderman":r06nzzgd said:
Tang safety 77. I’ve taken a couple of deer with it. It is a finicky eater but does okay on a diet of 150 grain bullets.

Yes, I’ve heard that the M77 tangs could be finicky. But when they found a bullet and load they liked, beware to the game that they stalked.
I’m actually thinking of getting the Hornady 154gr SST’s and running them at 2700-2800 FPS. That’ll be good enough for deer and elk, hopefully.

Hawk

PJGunner":28enspqr said:
" wouldn't attribute your getting hurt with the rifle and caliber you're hunting with."

The thing is, the only two deer I have ever lost on a hunt I was carrying a rifle in 7x57. When I had my vehicle accident a year and two days ago, I was on my way to the range to do a final check on he sights prior to leaving for my elk hunt just four days later. the two rifles I had that morning were both chambered to 7x57. Kind of makes one think that for me the cartridge is jinxed. Makes me wonder if I should do a fourth try. First time, lost deer. second time ruined knee. Third time bad wreck, totaled my truck and five days in hospital. If I try a fourth time, will I survive? I say that somewhat tongue in cheek but you have to wonder.

Still and all I really want to hunt with that cartridge. I used to love shooting some seriously hard kicking cartridges but at 82 years of age, thing like the threat of retinal separation things I have to consider. The 7x57 looks like a very reasonable choice. Jinx or just bad luck? Damned if I know. I'd like to get just one more elk hunt under my belt before I hang it all up and just shoot at the range. Might even try for a deer tag if I can draw one for the Kaibab.
Paul B.
Sorry to hear of your maladies.
I fully understand where you are coming from, of course.
I would highly suggest keeping, and using the 7x57, as it won’t disappoint, either hunting or target shooting.
Thank you so very much for your knowledge and input on these boards.
You are greatly appreciated!

Hawk

Had lots of clients show up with 7/57's over the years and it worked wonders on game up to 400lbs with various loads, it is about a 7mm/08 with a twist favoring heavier bullets. Both work super. I would prefer the 7/08 and shoot lighter bullets for deer. For game over 500lbs then
with heavier bullets you would need to sight by a tree to see much difference. It's alot like saying because it's a
new fad; that a 6.5 Cred is superior to the now 126 year old 6.5 x55 Sweedish.
That is entirely false, loaded to the same pressure, in any bullet weight, the Cred has Nothing over the 6.5 x55 .......nothing, just great marketing and hype!
Can't go wrong with a X57 but you can't go any better than
The 7/08 either!

35 Whelen":y2fjkfzt said:
Had lots of clients show up with 7/57's over the years and it worked wonders on game up to 400lbs with various loads, it is about a 7mm/08 with a twist favoring heavier bullets. Both work super. I would prefer the 7/08 and shoot lighter bullets for deer. For game over 500lbs then
with heavier bullets you would need to sight by a tree to see much difference. It's alot like saying because it's a
new fad; that a 6.5 Cred is superior to the now 126 year old 6.5 x55 Sweedish.
That is entirely false, loaded to the same pressure, in any bullet weight, the Cred has Nothing over the 6.5 x55 .......nothing, just great marketing and hype!
Can't go wrong with a X57 but you can't go any better than
The 7/08 either!
I fully agree with you there.
That’s an excellent account of your experience, thank you.
Yes, very true, the “newer” cartridges like the 6.5 Creed, and the 7-08 won’t beat the tried and true 6.5x55, or the7x57. They’re the ballistic equivalent, in my opinion.
I have a 6.5 Creed, because I couldn’t find the other old cartridge I like, my 6.5x55.
I got lucky finding the Win M70 in my second favorite cartridge 7x57.
Although, I think the 7x57 can handle much heavier game than the 6.5x55.
But for deer hunting, you can’t go wrong with either.

Hawk

I did some minor investigation into Sectional Density equivalent.
The corresponding bullet weights:

139gr-140gr 7mm (.284) equals the 165gr 7.62mm (.308)
150gr-154gr 7mm (.284) equals the 180gr 7.62mm (.308)
160gr-162gr 7mm (.284) equals the 190gr 7.62mm (.308)
175gr 7mm (.284) equals the 200gr-210gr 7.62mm (.308)

So, I figured that if I can get the corresponding bullet weight in 7x57 going as fast as the .30-06 equivalent, I’ll be in good stead when I’m out hunting, or target practicing.
No need to really go faster in the 7x57, that’ll handle anything I will ever hunt, and some.

Hawk

I love me some 270/7mm bullets. For me and most of my hunting a 150 270 or a 175 7mm is really darned great for any hoofed animal walking when pushed to appropriate speeds and the bonus is usually good BC on top of that.

Back