Esteemed Members, Please Relay Your Experiences with 7mm Mau

SJB358":3mtb4kny said:
I love me some 270/7mm bullets. For me and most of my hunting a 150 270 or a 175 7mm is really darned great for any hoofed animal walking when pushed to appropriate speeds and the bonus is usually good BC on top of that.
Yes, I do love the higher BC’s of 7mm’s.
I’ve been reading more about the 7x57, and am learning it’s as versatile as the’06.
But the ‘06 is king here, and I’m going to be using it more, plus using the 7x57 when not using the ‘06.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I would highly suggest keeping, and using the 7x57, as it won’t disappoint, either hunting or target shooting."

I have no intention of giving up with the 7x57. I don't blame the cartridge. I just consider it bad luck. I've come to the conclusion that one can use the data for the 7-08 in a modern actioned 7x57 and once that doc clears me I'm gonna be doing some work with 160 gr. bullets. I'm thinking iff they worked so well for jack O'Connor and his wife they should work just as good for me. The more I've used RL17 in the 7x57 the more I ,ike it. I guess we'll see what happen when I get to shoot again.
Paul B.

PJGunner":3bawm5qz said:
"I would highly suggest keeping, and using the 7x57, as it won’t disappoint, either hunting or target shooting."

I have no intention of giving up with the 7x57. I don't blame the cartridge. I just consider it bad luck. I've come to the conclusion that one can use the data for the 7-08 in a modern actioned 7x57 and once that doc clears me I'm gonna be doing some work with 160 gr. bullets. I'm thinking iff they worked so well for jack O'Connor and his wife they should work just as good for me. The more I've used RL17 in the 7x57 the more I ,ike it. I guess we'll see what happen when I get to shoot again.
Paul B.

17 in the x57 is the bees knees in my book. Great speed and equally good accuracy.

SJB358":yybexqk0 said:
PJGunner":yybexqk0 said:

Paul B.

17 in the x57 is the bees knees in my book. Great speed and equally good accuracy.
I fully agree with you!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

A little late to the post, but here goes. The 7x57 was my first big game rifle that my Grandad had given me. A Chilean 1895 Mauser. Loads I started with were mild with a Speer 160 grain. I had to file the rear sight down to get it to hit to point of aim. I took a few deer with it over the years, but it’s pretty much a safe/range gun now. Several years ago I traded a Ruger No 1 in .30-06 for one in 7x57. I topped it with a straight tube Leupold 1-4 power and loaded 160 grain Accubonds to 2750 fps. I was fortunate enough to take a trip to Africa where I fired it 4 times to take 4 animals. I thought it was a great cartridge to compliment my .35 Whelen on the trip. I picked up another identical gun and found a wicked accurate load in about 8-10 shots with a 145 Speer boat tail up around 2900 fps. It hasn’t taken any game yet, but hopefully someday soon.

lefty315":jqfcgxd1 said:
A little late to the post, but here goes. The 7x57 was my first big game rifle that my Grandad had given me. A Chilean 1895 Mauser. Loads I started with were mild with a Speer 160 grain. I had to file the rear sight down to get it to hit to point of aim. I took a few deer with it over the years, but it’s pretty much a safe/range gun now. Several years ago I traded a Ruger No 1 in .30-06 for one in 7x57. I topped it with a straight tube Leupold 1-4 power and loaded 160 grain Accubonds to 2750 fps. I was fortunate enough to take a trip to Africa where I fired it 4 times to take 4 animals. I thought it was a great cartridge to compliment my .35 Whelen on the trip. I picked up another identical gun and found a wicked accurate load in about 8-10 shots with a 145 Speer boat tail up around 2900 fps. It hasn’t taken any game yet, but hopefully someday soon.
That's a great account of you and your 7x57!
Is it hard to find ammo for a 7x57 in Africa?
You chose 2 very capable cartridges to go with you. I know a lot of the posters on the forum here can attest to being great fans of the .35 Whelen as well. I can understand, it just plain works. It hits like a freight train that derailed off it's tracks.
The "little" 7mm Mauser isn't a slouch either, especially at the velocities you mentioned.
Thank you so much for sharing. I greatly appreciate you.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX said:
lefty315 said:
You chose 2 very capable cartridges to go with you. I know a lot of the posters on the forum here can attest to being great fans of the .35 Whelen as well. I can understand, it just plain works. It hits like a freight train that derailed off it's tracks.
The "little" 7mm Mauser isn't a slouch either, especially at the velocities you mentioned.

Hawk

I took ammo with me but I had checked before I went and was told 7x57 ammo was readily available. Funny thing is my buddy took his .30-06 and his bag didn’t make it for about 3 days. They had some PMP ammo with a 220 grain bullet(I think). He liked the performance so much he just stuck with that the rest of the trip.

lefty315":1ojlttjw said:
HAWKEYESATX":1ojlttjw said:
lefty315":1ojlttjw said:

Hawk

I took ammo with me but I had checked before I went and was told 7x57 ammo was readily available. Funny thing is my buddy took his .30-06 and his bag didn’t make it for about 3 days. They had some PMP ammo with a 220 grain bullet(I think). He liked the performance so much he just stuck with that the rest of the trip.
That’s always good to know about which ammo is available before going over to Africa.
I’m glad both performed admirably.
Congratulations on your successful hunts.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back