7600?

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Have an opportunity to get a good deal on a gun that has always intrigued me. I have absolutely no experience with Remington 7600s and am considering picking one up. Its a synthetic stocked one chambered in .280rem. Dont have any experience with that chambering either. I figure I have a spare Leupold 2.5-8x36 laying around and it would make a nice rifle for the thick stuff I occasionally hunt and a good general purpose truck gun.

Any expectations as far as accuracy?

Any pitfalls, tricks, etc I should be aware of?

Theses rifles can be pleasantly accurate. It is chambered in one of my favourite cartridges. The 280 Rem is an excellent cartridge for North America.

375hh1973":2tnyxiim said:
Have an opportunity to get a good deal on a gun that has always intrigued me. I have absolutely no experience with Remington 7600s and am considering picking one up. Its a synthetic stocked one chambered in .280rem. Dont have any experience with that chambering either. I figure I have a spare Leupold 2.5-8x36 laying around and it would make a nice rifle for the thick stuff I occasionally hunt and a good general purpose truck gun.

Any expectations as far as accuracy?

Any pitfalls, tricks, etc I should be aware of?
From what others said on this forum, recently, I was just like you. Hadn't heard much about any Remington 760/7600. The 7600 came after the 760, which I have one in .30-06.
They are more than capable of getting bolt action accuracy.
I got mine because of the recommendations of the gentlemen on this forum.
The .280 Rem is as versatile as the .30-06. You can hunt anything that you can hunt with a .30-06.
Congratulations on the find. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your neat pump rifle.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Not really any tricks or pitfalls but just a few things to keep in mind. Barrel is held in place by the action tube underneath the barrel. Action tube has holes in it. A #2 phillips screwdriver will fit through those holes or a 3/16" roll pin punch will fit.You might have to take the forearm off to access those holes on a 7600, I don't remember. Make sure that action tube is tight. The holes go all the way through so put your screwdriver or punch through both holes so you don't oblong 1 hole. The action tube is also what you remove to break it down and clean the rifle from the breech end. Remington went through a faze where they put locktite on some of the 760's, don't think they did on the 7600's. But you don't need locktite, I just periodically make sure that tube is still snugged up if I'm doing a lot of shooting.

A lot of them like to be supported at or near the end of the action rail on the forearm if shooting off the bench. Others don't seem to make much difference. You will just have to experiment.

Other than cosmetics the main difference in a 7600 verses a 760 is the 7600 has 4 large locking lugs on the bolt, the 760 has 14 small lugs. Personally I prefer the look of a 760 verses a 7600 in a wood stocked gun, but I believe they're both good rifles. You know what yr it was make by chance?

DrMike":kbjpsefj said:
jimbires":kbjpsefj said:
never heard of them .

What cartridges are your pump rifles chambered in?

the near one , Denise brought along with her , it's a 243 . the laminate one is my sons , also a 243 . the next one up I bought used , it's a 222 . the top one was my GrandPaps 30.06 . he passed away before I was old enough to hunt , so it's my first rifle . Dad liked that rifle , so a year or two later he got one just like it . if I remember the story right they were bought around 1960 . ordered them from the sears catalog , and were delivered to the house .

I'd jump on that 7600 if I were you. The 280 Rem is a great round and topping that rifle off with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm would make a mighty fine woods rifle. The 140 gr BT at 2900 fps kills WT deer like a lighting bolt. A 150 gr PT has you covered for deer, bear and elk. And as Scotty mentioned, the 7600 shoots!

JD338

I have the exact same synthetic 7600 280. I don't recall the year, but they were an exclusive run Remington made for Grice Wholesale in Pennsylvania. I think it would have been the early to mid-90's but not 100% sure.

They shoot just fine, no worries there. Mine puts 120 and 140 BTs into sub MOA groups with regularity (as long as I keep my eyes open [emoji16])

Ron

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

jimbires":ngqlr9o9 said:
DrMike":ngqlr9o9 said:
jimbires":ngqlr9o9 said:
never heard of them .

the near one , Denise brought along with her , it's a 243 . the laminate one is my sons , also a 243 . the next one up I bought used , it's a 222 . the top one was my GrandPaps 30.06 . he passed away before I was old enough to hunt , so it's my first rifle . Dad liked that rifle , so a year or two later he got one just like it . if I remember the story right they were bought around 1960 . ordered them from the sears catalog , and were delivered to the house .

Man, that one chambered in 222 should be an exciting rifle to hang on to.

DrMike":haekfcrb said:
jimbires":haekfcrb said:
DrMike":haekfcrb said:
jimbires":haekfcrb said:
never heard of them .

Man, that one chambered in 222 should be an exciting rifle to hang on to.

It probably ain’t worth much Mike. I’d give him 200 plus shipping to get that lemming off his hands :mrgreen:

jimbires":11t6633a said:
that's a very generous offer for that old thing . :lol:

That's one thing I've noted about Scotty--he is generous to a fault! :mrgreen:

DrMike":1cwuy621 said:
jimbires":1cwuy621 said:
that's a very generous offer for that old thing . :lol:

That's one thing I've noted about Scotty--he is generous to a fault! :mrgreen:

I try fellas. I’ve got a large heart.

I purchased a second year of production 760 while in New Mexico last November. I just acquired a scope base for it and have a Leupold 2x-7x . It's just a .270 win but I hope it will shoot.

Bruce Mc":2gc7v15d said:
I purchased a second year of production 760 while in New Mexico last November. I just acquired a scope base for it and have a Leupold 2x-7x . It's just a .270 win but I hope it will shoot.

I don’t believe you’ll have to hope.

Back in the day Remington pump and semi-auto were real popular in our area. My brother had an 7600 in 308 Win and I had the 7400 also in 308 Win. The 7600 was a little more accurate than my 7400. You can’t go wrong with either , they are both great deer hunting rifles

Back