my 2021 goal

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I'm getting geared up for this years shooting . I'll be happy if I can work my way out and get some target time at 2 miles , that's 3520 yards . at 2375 yards I was out on turret elevation and also using the reticle at a lowered magnification setting , this turned the 20 moa reticle into 30 moa . I think I was hitting 2375 yards with 87.5 moa . I haven't used any type of adjustable mount before , so I'm not sure what to expect from this . I'll get it put together and test the elevation increases at 100 yards to know what they actually give on my set up . I'll also get to test repeatability . it looks well built , time will tell . my first impression is , man is it going to make the scope high .

P1010978 (1).JPG

P1010977 (1).JPG

That’s pretty neat Jim. I’ll have to Google how it works. Never seen anything like it.

A worthy ambition. I'll definitely be watching as you post your work. I think the work is fascinating. That appears to be a most interesting piece of kit.

I really enjoy it . I'll try to update here and there , on my progress . I hope getting components doesn't screw things up this year . I'm good on brass , primers , pretty good on bullets , powder I only have about 6 pounds . I need to find 8 or 10 pound of RL33 .

walkinhorseman":15ralzl7 said:
Interesting piece of harware. Whats the rifle platform and caliber that you are shooting at these ELR distances?

it's a 338 Lapua . NXS 8-32 , TAC338 action , McMillan stock , Jewel trigger , 30" bbl . right now I shoot 300 grain Bergers . I have the adjustable mount on the rifle , but I have not shot it yet .

P6210898.JPG

P1170982.JPG

Jim,

That is an interesting mount. Looks like it's going to get you where you want to be.
What is your MV for the 300 gr Berger? At what distance would you expect to go subsonic?

JD338

thanks guys , I think my equipment should be up to the task . I'm sure I can go out to two miles and bang away until I hit , but that's not what I want to do . I want some skill involved in my quest . I found an app that will find distance , " measure map " . I'll be using this instead of a rangefinder .

my work was slow arriving this morning , so I took a little time for a couple pics with the new mount installed . it did make the scope high . I'll have to do something to my cheek rest .

P2120027.JPG

P2120026.JPG

JD338":mc1vp4wi said:
Jim,

That is an interesting mount. Looks like it's going to get you where you want to be.
What is your MV for the 300 gr Berger? At what distance would you expect to go subsonic?

JD338

JD , I use 2939 FPS it aligns well with my actual drops out to 2050 . I've shot at 2375 but I'm not 100% sure that was the actual distance . I was out of elevation at this distance . I used all the turret , and all the reticle . it's hard to get a rangefinder to read at these longer distances . a bigger target would probably help with getting readings . I did check out my subsonic distance , I think it was 3050 yards when I reach 900 FPS . this will vary with weather conditions

Back