Supply disruptions

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
FYI, there has been a global supply chain disruption in a number of industries.

The one I’m bringing to your attention is glass fibers and polymers.

Several material making companies declared Force Majeure in the last couple weeks.

It’s basically a legal term saying publicly, I can not fulfill my contracts due to things beyond my control.

I’m anticipating the impact will trickle down to makers of Gun stocks.

If you are contemplating a build that includes replacing a stock, get it ordered, preferably out of inventory as glass fibers and polymers for making stocks might not be available until the supply chain settles down.

The events in TX weather also come into play as many of the refining processes were shutdown or froze down by the weather.

We’ll see this cascading of disruptions for a little while.

Car makers are seeing computer chip shortages... which it looks like polymers might be the next shortage they have to deal with..

The Glass fiber problem started in China and Europe, what happens is the suppliers who do have supply get over run with orders from customers of competitors trying to find supply...

TX weather is just a pile on effect. Those refining operations are typically on or off. They don’t run at 50%. Companies with many assets will shutdown crackers if they are over supplied, but crackers are 100 Million plus to build... so they don’t like shutting them down, and they don’t like building ones they don’t need... petrochemicals is a capital intensive industry. The glass fibers is similar. On or off, and an expensive plant to build.

Plant builds take more than a year due to regulatory over site (environmental studies and permit requirements)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":6c11gw4s said:
FYI, there has been a global supply chain disruption in a number of industries.

The one I’m bringing to your attention is glass fibers and polymers.

Several material making companies declared Force Majeure in the last couple weeks.

It’s basically a legal term saying publicly, I can not fulfill my contracts due to things beyond my control.

I’m anticipating the impact will trickle down to makers of Gun stocks.

If you are contemplating a build that includes replacing a stock, get it ordered, preferably out of inventory as glass fibers and polymers for making stocks might not be available until the supply chain settles down.

The events in TX weather also come into play as many of the refining processes were shutdown or froze down by the weather.

We’ll see this cascading of disruptions for a little while.

Car makers are seeing computer chip shortages... which it looks like polymers might be the next shortage they have to deal with..

The Glass fiber problem started in China and Europe, what happens is the suppliers who do have supply get over run with orders from customers of competitors trying to find supply...

TX weather is just a pile on effect. Those refining operations are typically on or off. They don’t run at 50%. Companies with many assets will shutdown crackers if they are over supplied, but crackers are 100 Million plus to build... so they don’t like shutting them down, and they don’t like building ones they don’t need... petrochemicals is a capital intensive industry. The glass fibers is similar. On or off, and an expensive plant to build.

Plant builds take more than a year due to regulatory over site (environmental studies and permit requirements)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stands to reason. Couple these issues with an unmotivated work force and a feel-good, emotional shift in administrative policy and it’s the makings for a train wreck. We use a lot of plastics in our construction business. It took 2 months last Fall to get an order of poly tanks.

No wonder I can’t get acknowledgment from AG Composites. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back