Scored some primers; anyone know how old they are?

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
IMG_2638.jpg
I was with my family at the in-laws yesterday and my father in law was going through some ammo boxes looking for some 20 ga trap loads to give to my son. He found a half full (in these times the box HAS to be half full) of CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers. Anyone have a guess as to how old they are?

That packaging is from the 1980's. I used a few bricks of them back in the day. Look for a lot number, it might call out a date code.

JD338

ReloadKy":2drqd5st said:
L16SC is the lot number.
The first letter is the month, which is Jan as A, and December as L, in order as A,B,C, etc
The 16 stands for the date
L16 will be December 16

As for SC, I'm not so quite sure, it should stand for the year.
Should be in the 80's

I was just talking about this . I bought these 1985 . I'm still using them , without any problems . I wish I'd have bought more .

P5070089.JPG

P5070090.JPG

I definitely plan to use them. In fact, I have 50 pieces of Nosler 7MM Rem mag brass that needs to be fire formed. I will probably use these primers and get some velocity testing done with the new brass.

I got some of those from my father in law and they worked great..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome. I recently bought some new old stock primed Winchester brass in paper boxes. Date codes from 1973. I’ve fired 12 so far. All have gone bang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back