55gr E-Tip

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
This was an impromptu test of the .224” 55 grain E-Tip from a 24” heavy barreled AR-15 in 223 Wylde at 3360 fps. They were shot into a clay earth bank so it’s a more severe test than into jugs. I would have used water jugs if I’d thought about it before hand.

I was coyote hunting today and got a case of the “I wonders”, and shot them into the bank. The left bullet was shot from a range of 100 yards. It retained 54.4 grains, and expanded to a .594” diameter. Looks like the only weight lost was the polymer tip. Impressive for a .224 bullet.

The right bullet really surprised me because it was shot into the bank from 25 feet. It retained 51.0 grains even, and expanded to a diameter of .616”. I don’t think it gets more demanding for a bullet than 3360 fps into a clay bank at 25 feet. It’s a tough bullet for sure. EXTREMELY impressive for a .224 bullet.

If the 223 was all I had to hunt with, I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on deer sized game. As accurate as it is I’d feel pretty confident actually. As a side note, all the coyotes I’ve shot with the 55gr E-Tip have been dead before their chin hit the ground, with a quarter to 50 cent piece size exit. So I don’t doubt it’s opening as designed even on coyote sized game. 62835626-4535-4788-AE48-85AE6D0A9198.jpeg57A2011A-6320-4AC1-98F5-35B0D46F8ABF.jpeg

I've certainly had good success with the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. Everything shot with that load has died in rather convincing fashion.

That is truly a torture test and proves it to be a robust bullet for sure. No doubt it would work on deer and antelope at reasonable distances. I don't think a shoulder blade would stop this bullet from getting into the boiler room.

JD338

Joe,
If it were me, I'd test them on a few crop damage deer!

JD338

Joe that is really impressive looking bullets. Would like to see the results of them in a jug test. My only deer kill using a 223 was with a 60 gr PT doing crop damage and it did fine in and out behind the shoulders. Going by your write up and photos I wouldn't hesitate using them on deer. Just curious what powder are you using with these? Dan.

wvbuckbuster":1lih7xkj said:
Joe that is really impressive looking bullets. Would like to see the results of them in a jug test. My only deer kill using a 223 was with a 60 gr PT doing crop damage and it did fine in and out behind the shoulders. Going by your write up and photos I wouldn't hesitate using them on deer. Just curious what powder are you using with these? Dan.
Dan, the powder is CFE223 using the max recommended charge of 28 grains from Nosler’s manual, Nosler 55gr E-Tip HBN coated, Lake City brass, Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers, and a COAL of 2.260”. Make note that the 28 grain max is intended for conventional bullets, so I must stress I worked up to this load in .2 gr increments using monos and am still getting rounded primers in this rifle. I can consistently ruin a groundhogs day at 400 yards in temps from 25-90 degrees F with no change in impact consistency.

For me, CFE223 doesn’t act squirrelly if the temperature changes. But bare in mind it doesn’t seem to be pushing max pressures in this rifle either. FWIW I use CFE223 with fine results in two 308 Win’s as well. Half inch groups at 2980 fps with 150gr Speer Gold Dots and 2997 fps with 150gr Partitions, both have nicely rounded primers after firing as well. It’s supposed to give great velocities in the 30-06, 338-06, 338 Fed, and 35 Whelen as well. I like the powder and so far it’s behaved itself with me.

I built and accurized the rifle 100% myself (except for the nitride job) specifically for long range varmint hunting. It is a 24” straight profile, 4150 steel heavy barrel with a .836” muzzle and 11 degree crown with a sharp unchamfered transition from bore to crown, chambered in 223 Wylde rifled 1:8. Topped it with a Bushnell Trophy XLT 6x18 scope. I also had the barrel nitrided after a 50 round break-in regimen. After the scripted break-in I thoroughly cleaned ALL copper and carbon from the bore and chamber. Verified everything had been removed with my bore scope, and sent it to be nitrided. I’d nitride every barrel I have if I could. I have a twin barrel to it as well, when I ordered the barrels I ordered 2 identical to each other. I had the twin Parkerized instead of nitrided. I’m going to have it bead blasted and nitrided in the near future.

It gives 3360 fps while still having rounded primers, and ejects cases at 90 degrees. When cases eject to the rear the rifle is under gassed, ejecting to the front of the rifle indicates over gassed. Im ejecting 90 degrees from the bolt with a fixed low profile gas block, which indicates gas pressure is optimal for keeping your face pretty. 3442B3E4-E31E-45C1-A2DA-4AC46B6B749B.jpeg

Here are the primers from the three I fired yesterday. Nice and round radiuses but I’m going to add a larger diameter firing pin to the BCG in order to keep primers from flowing into the firing pin hole.61D953F8-FCC9-4F32-85AD-911822A3C88D.jpeg

Thanks for the info Joe and super rifle you have. I too like CFE223 use it the most in my 223 and that's just in a Ruger American but for a cheap rifle it doesn't disappoint me. You've perked my interest to get some of them E-tips and give it a try. By the way have been using the HBN and so far so good. Dan.

I have a Ruger American in 243 Win and it shoots great. I think they are great rifles.

I’ve been using the little E-Tips in my 223’s exclusively to hunt with for about 2 years now and don’t have anything bad to say about them. They are a little pricey so I still shoot Hornady’s 2266 bullet for paper. Those little E-Tips are in a class all their own though. Nosler is to be commended for that little pill.

Im really glad the hbn is working for you, it’s treated me pretty good as well. I can use all the help I can get. :wink:

Guy Miner":3km5cney said:
Cool. Ya, that would likely do a fine job on a deer if necessary.

Guy

You aren’t kidding. I’d bet it’ll handle leg bones, no issues.

Nice one. I just picked up some 55gr E-Tips that I will load in .223 Rem (22" - 1:9 CZ527) with X-terminator.

Main quarry will be our little deer or roe deer, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer. Do you think they will be too hard on a fox?

Muntjac":a1w8o67m said:
Nice one. I just picked up some 55gr E-Tips that I will load in .223 Rem (22" - 1:9 CZ527) with X-terminator.

Main quarry will be our little deer or roe deer, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer. Do you think they will be too hard on a fox?
I’ve had great results on coyotes and groundhogs with them. Caliber size entrance with a 1-1.5 inch exit wound, and they have all been dead before they hit the ground. I think they would perform the same on a fox. They open fast for a mono bullet and definitely hold together. I think they are a more pliable bullet than Barnes and opens to a larger diameter. The best 55 grain .224 caliber bullet I’ve ever used.

Joec7651":1jxbd5xy said:
Muntjac":1jxbd5xy said:

I’ve had great results on coyotes and groundhogs with them. Caliber size entrance with a 1-1.5 inch exit wound, and they have all been dead before they hit the ground. I think they would perform the same on a fox. They open fast for a mono bullet and definitely hold together. I think they are a more pliable bullet than Barnes and opens to a larger diameter. The best 55 grain .224 caliber bullet I’ve ever used.

Thank you sir, good to know!

DrMike":31rpmxgl said:
I've certainly had good success with the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. Everything shot with that load has died in rather convincing fashion.
lol

We just got my wife a Sako Finnlight II 22-250 for groundhogs. She was asking about using it for deer. These might work in that 14" twist.

My 1/14 250 shoots 55 V-max great. Its a "short" bullet for its weight. All copper bullets tend to be longer of course. I wonder if the 60 grain Partition may be an option as well bring that it is shorter for it's weight.

Well folks,

Starting to get there with the E-Tip (Think low left was me).

Loaded up some more so will test in the next couple of weekends I think.

Scrummy

5NdYaval.jpg

Great shooting Munt. Looks like you have a half inch load there. Good job!

Joec7651":18q4pwp2 said:
Great shooting Munt. Looks like you have a half inch load there. Good job!

Thanks buddy.

I have a few more loaded up around that point so I will give them a go.

Excluding the flyer I will be happy if that is repeatable

(I'm not sure at what range that level of "inaccuracy" would cause me issues but I'm pretty sure it's further than I will hunt with that ammo)

Munty

Back