Self Defense Ammunition

I live way out in the country , no houses to worry about. When people show up out here they are usually armed with deer rifles, or shotguns.They broke into my neighbors house armed with a shotgun. They stole his car and wallet.
People will sometimes wander around the out buildings trying to steal stuff.
In the city, I agree, birdshot would be best.

I live in the country too but I think at least the first couple rounds (for in the home) should be bird shot. I'm thinking of the safety of my family members.

In a rural situation out side, 45 ACP up close and high power rifle for anyting beyond handgun range.

JD338

Outside at night, I feel more in control with my 12ga. with #4 buck.Once the adrenaline starts to flow I might not be able to hit anything with a handgun of rifle.Not at night anyway.

With a 12 gauge, I split the difference, #1 buck. Typically 30 pellets, heavy enough to penetrate, even at moderate range, and enough pellets that the BG will not step through the pattern.

POP":7edtyzhl said:
Here is my baby!

pix1345950234.jpg

Your baby is so cute, I will post my favorite weapon next time.

JD338":3o2c2fqh said:
Just keep in mind that using hand loads in a carry gun for self defense will bring on a lot of legal recourse and will be attacked upon by the bag guys (or family) lawyer.
It will be perceived that the bad guy had a bad childhood and really didn't mean any harm to you, but your vicious reloads were concocted to harm my little bad guy.....
Something to be aware of.

JD338

Sorry I disagree.
When I studied criminal law I brought this up and not one of my teachers could site a justifiable shoot gone bad because of use of reloads, nor could they site civil charges being brought forth from reloads.

There are some bad shootings with reloads so it did not matter if they were reloads or factory.
A bad shoot is bad regardless.
Here are two cases I know about and are not self defense shoots:

New Hampshire v. Sgt. James Kennedy and New Jersey v. Daniel Bias are the cases I'm aware of where reloads have been an issue.

By Masaad Ayoob:
NH v. Kennedy

James Kennedy, a sergeant on the Hampton, NH police force, pursued a drunk driver whose reckless operation of the vehicle had forced other motorists off the road. The suspect ended up in a ditch, stalled and trying to get underway again. Advised by radio that responding backup officers were still a distance away, and fearing that the man would get back on the road and kill himself and others, Kennedy approached the vehicle. At the driver’s door, the suspect grabbed Kennedy’s Colt .45 auto and pulled it towards himself. It discharged in his face, causing massive injury.
The reload in the gun was a 200 grain Speer JHP, loaded to duplicate the 1000 fps from a 5” barrel then advertised by Speer for the same bullet in loaded cartridge configuration.
This was the first case where I saw the argument, “Why wasn’t regular ammunition deadly enough for you,” used by opposing counsel. They charged Kennedy with aggravated assault. They made a large issue out of his use of handloads, suggesting that they were indicative of a reckless man obsessed with causing maximum damage.
Defense counsel hired the expert I suggested, Jim Cirillo, who did a splendid job of demolishing that argument and other bogus arguments against Kennedy at trial, and Kennedy was acquitted.

In the second case, Daniel Bias was accused of shooting his wife. He claimed she committed suicide and that the gun shot residue tests were wrong, because the gun was loaded with light handloads and the State tested the gun with full power ammunition. He was found guilty of killing his wife.

Neither case is about shooting in self defense so they aren't relevant.
Randy

Back