Loading BERGER 155 VLD

Swamp Hunter 38

Beginner
Sep 7, 2009
I bought some Berger 155 VLD's for my 300WSM. I keep reading that they are supposed to be loaded to the lands but my Browning A-bolt only allows me to fit COAL at 2.870 . That puts me way off. Should I just save them for another gun or has someone had success loading them with mag restrictions?

Seat the bullet to fit the magazine. VLD's can be seated farther away from the land and shoot just as accurate.

They can be a little picky about loads, seating depth, etc. But once you've found the right combo, they can shoot very well.

For target work, I prefer the Nosler 155 gr Competition bullet. It shoots very well and seems to be more tolerant of different loads, lengths, etc.

Follow the instructions on the link that 30-338 gave. I found that Bergers shoot way off the lands by accident in one of my rifles.

Thanks 30-338 ! that read answered all of my questions. I appreciate all of the responses from everyone. There is no other reloading or hunting site on the Internet where everyone is so helpful, cordial and full of reloading knowledge. Ya'll make look like a scholar when I talk reloading with people who don't know about this site. Too bad I'm keeping it a secret!

In the 300 wsm reloader 17 and IMR 4064 work very well with 150/155 gr bullets.

Swamp Hunter 38":rdv39shb said:
I bought some Berger 155 VLD's for my 300WSM. I keep reading that they are supposed to be loaded to the lands but my Browning A-bolt only allows me to fit COAL at 2.870 . That puts me way off. Should I just save them for another gun or has someone had success loading them with mag restrictions?
................For hunting, load your VLDs to the max COAL that your magazine will allow, test for accuracy, and then back off another 15/1000ths or so until you find your rifles sweet spot for COAL.

The VLDs can achieve great accuracys WITHOUT touching the lands.

Just for the heck of it, I dup`d a RL17 155 VLD loading off of the "reloadersnest" site. See load # 5506 under 300 WSM.

From his 24" tubed M70, 69 gr RL17 gave this submitter 3380 fps. I worked up to the same charge and chrony`d 3234 fps from my `lil 16.5" tubed 300 WSM Ruger compact. .756" was my 3 shot grouping!

Purdy darn quick there!!!!

For less velocity but equally as accurate if not more so, IMR4007 and Varget work very well in my 300 WSM carbine using the 155 gr VLD.

Back