Flash-hole size

Kodiak

Handloader
Oct 4, 2006
A fellow reloader dropped-off a few new Winchester rifle cases that he said had an enlarged flash-hole thru the primer pocket, and he was concerned about loading them. Of the bag of 50 new cases, I found 6 (maybe more) that have an oblong/ odd-shaped flash-hole. I haven't checked the holes for correct size yet. Anyone encountered this, and would you load these cases?

Not sure on this but I know Federal made some lead free ammo with enlarged flash holes for lead free primers. I think Winchester did also.These could have gotten mixed in by mistake but I'm sure some one will know more than me that can answer your question or you could give Winchester CS a call and explain the problem to them.

Silent Sam":3azfet1j said:
If they are out of round I would toss 'em.

Better yet, send them back to Winchester. I bought four bags of .280 Win. brass that had two of the bags short a few rounds. Wrote big "W" and the sent me two $5.00 discount coupons good toward any Winchester product.
On flash holes for lead free ammo, I believe that was only done on handgun ammo but not positive on that.
Paul B.

G'Day Fella's,

Kodiak, as PJGunner mentions, the brass that has been designed for use with Non-Toxic (Lead etc) Ammo, has a larger diameter primer Flash Hole!
From what I understand, the chemical priming mixture (not Lead Styphnate) that they utilise in Non-Toxic (NT) ammo, is different enough (cooler burning) to require a larger primer Flash Hole, so as to reliably ignite the propellant powder.

The thing you need to be aware of is, if you work up a "Maximum Safe Working Load" with conventional cases (with smaller primer Flash Holes), and you then substitute these cases for NT cases, the chamber pressures can rise to excessive and dangerous levels!!!
FYI, in my experience with these NT cases (in 9x19mm and or 9mm Luger), the cartridge case head stamp, has the letters NT included on them!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

When I first bought a pistol in .40 S&W I also purchased some ammo that had "NT" as a part of the name. I can't recall whether it was Winchester or Federal. The flash holes in that brass were exactly the same as any other .40 S&W brass and I've continued to use it without any special consideration. I would never assume that all NT brass is like that, though. I've heard otherwise from folks I trust for information.

Homer. I've loaded and shot the large hole NT brass in .45 ACP with no change in load data. Pressures were no problem. As I mentioned before, so far I have not seen anr rifle brass with large flash holes.
Paul B.

Some of the worst-looking flash holes checked would take a 0.082" - 0.084" guage, saami likes them to be 0.078- 0.080". I have left a message with Winchester's Ammo Dept. and eagerly await their reply.

On another site, there was a lengthy series of posts ( can''t locate it now) about enlarging flash holes to 0.090 and even larger. The final decision was , after some folks did enlarge theirs, was the previously accurate loads were no longer so.

More later,

Back