Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 10:52 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog gone, gone and done it... switched to carrying a wheel g
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:39 pm 

Never really cared for wheelguns, not sure why (capacity envy maybe? )... But after getting the Blackhawk 41 mag I looked at them in a different light.

Just had to have one... Got a Ruger Sp101 357 mag with the 3" barrel... Awesome little powerhouse, shoots to point of aim, very good trigger after some touch up work.... And, most importantly, it is completely comfortable to carry in the appendix position sitting, squatting, or bending over... No beavertail poking me in the gut.

Fully loaded it is 2 ounces lighter than the Glock 32.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dog gone, gone and done it... switched to carrying a whe
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 pm 

Tough to beat the reliability of a good wheelgun.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 pm 

Maybe the best part of all....

My 11 year old son can handle it just fine with 38 Special loads, he seems to have taken a liking to wheel guns too, he really likes the 41 mag but it is way too big for him to shoot for a good while yet.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:36 am 

A 3” 357 is a great carry piece. I regularly carry a 686 + 7 shot 357. It’s a lot of power in a compact package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:07 am 

When I was still an LEO, I carried a stainless 2.25 inch SP-101 as a back up gun for a significant portion of my career. I put a Wolff spring kit in it that made the action much nicer without any grinding/polishing and I never had any ignition issues regardless of the ammo. I carried 125 gr. Remington or Federal JHP's because nothing was too good for our clientele :grin: . I also installed a Trijicon front night sight and some larger rubber grips to absorb some recoil and fit my hands better than the factory ones.

I picked a revolver over a semiauto as a back up because if I was in a situation where I needed to arm someone (such as one of my fellow officers who chose not to carry off duty) I could hand them the revolver and didn't have to give a nomenclature class on "this lever does this and that button does that".

Although I carry my Shield 45 most often these days, I still carry the 101 occasionally, just because.

Ron

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 am 

JD338 wrote:
Tough to beat the reliability of a good wheelgun.

JD338

Amen to that and still tough to beat the stopping power of a 357 on those two legged critters if need be.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:04 pm 

Have had a hard time finding holsters for the 3 inch... Got A Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 ordered, quoted up to 20 weeks to get it though.

I figured out that it rides pretty good in appendix carry in a High Noon Mr. Softy holster I had for the Glock 32...had to remove the tension screw but it's not needed anyway in this application... And it is about 1/2 inch too short to cover the barrel.

After a day of looking for a good appendix holster and not finding anything.... I ordered a Mr. Softy for a Glock 17...with the added length that should work about perfect....and it only cost $30.

Sometimes you just have to improvise...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 pm 

My new favorite handgun... Wow this thing is sweet.

Easiest gun to carry I've ever carried, even easier than the officers framed commander length 1911 (Baer Stinger).

In my research before buying everyone was talking about how bad the recoil was with 357 ammo... I'm not seeing it... It bucks a little but it isn't painful to me in any way... 50 rounds and I was wishing I had more ammo.

I've settled on carrying Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty ammo... Those bullets look a little gimmicky to me, but they do work as advertised....I put them into glass, steel, and wood and they do the deed every time.

I chose Critical Duty over Critical Defense ammo because I'm a truck driver...I pray I never need it, but I figure my odds of needing to shoot into, or out of, a vehicle to defend myself are better than most.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:34 am 

Ridgerunner665 wrote:
My new favorite handgun... Wow this thing is sweet.

Easiest gun to carry I've ever carried, even easier than the officers framed commander length 1911 (Baer Stinger).

In my research before buying everyone was talking about how bad the recoil was with 357 ammo... I'm not seeing it... It bucks a little but it isn't painful to me in any way... 50 rounds and I was wishing I had more ammo.

I've settled on carrying Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty ammo... Those bullets look a little gimmicky to me, but they do work as advertised....I put them into glass, steel, and wood and they do the deed every time.

I chose Critical Duty over Critical Defense ammo because I'm a truck driver...I pray I never need it, but I figure my odds of needing to shoot into, or out of, a vehicle to defend myself are better than most.
Being a retired truck driver I know where your coming from and will carry a few battle scars with me to my grave from attackers before I had a NJ police officer tell me it was better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 am 

Had some free time sitting in the truck... Decided to de-horn the SP101 a little.

Used a fingernail file and smoothed some sharp points and edges on the frame and trigger housing.

Also took the file to the contact surfaces of the hammer strut, it's amazing the difference 2 minutes of filing had on the trigger smoothness.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 am 

The SP101 in the Glock 17 holster (High Noon Mr. Softy)... Not a perfect fit, but it actually works pretty darn good... Rides nice and low.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:34 pm 

I’ve had a serious Jones for a new wheelgun too. Specifically Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45LC/45 ACP convertible with 3.75 barrel. Swapped off my XD45...tired of chasing brass.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:38 pm 

Lots of articles talk about how much harder snubs are to shoot accurately than semi autos....

I must be odd, because the opposite is true for me, that's why I made the switch, I found out that I can shoot the wheel gun faster and more accurately.

And it is not a lack of practice with the semi autos, I have fired many thousands of rounds out of a few Glock and Springfield Armory pistols... G36, G32, G19, G40, XD 45 full size, XD 45 compact, XDS 45 are the ones I've owned and/or carried.... There are a few others I've rented.

It all comes down to the trigger... I just can't master the mushy striker fired trigger to the degree that I can others.

I could shoot a pretty mean bullseye match with a 1911, or a revolver (even double action)... But not a striker fired pistol.

I honestly just picked up a revolver and "took to it like a fish to water" as the saying goes... It just works, for me at least.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:15 pm 

rjm158 wrote:
When I was still an LEO, I carried a stainless 2.25 inch SP-101 as a back up gun for a significant portion of my career.

I picked a revolver over a semiauto as a back up because if I was in a situation where I needed to arm someone (such as one of my fellow officers who chose not to carry off duty) I could hand them the revolver and didn't have to give a nomenclature class on "this lever does this and that button does that".

Although I carry my Shield 45 most often these days, I still carry the 101 occasionally, just because.

Ron

Not only is that the truth, but very funny Ron!! Point, aim, and shoot a six wheel without a degree in what firearm is in your hand........ And besides they don't jam either!

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4