Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repairing flood damage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:16 pm 

Redding told me to try evapo-rust to clean my dies. First set is immersed for 12 hours. I’m to the polish with steel will after rinsing. I was amazed how much rust came off with a wire brush.

The thing that seemed to take the worse beating was the Wilson trim dies. But the brush helped them too.

Four of my six presses were bent from the flood. Guns safes falling on progressive shot and pistol presses was not good. Two single stages were looking pretty rusty, and probably could have been salvageable. I’ll find a used single stage and get back to work.
I did lose my balance beam, powder dropper etc. made me a little ill seeming so much smashed gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Repairing flood damage
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:31 am 

MJC, I feel for you, man. It is tough facing so much loss and damage. A flood really disturbs your life. I am glad that you found something to help with the rust. I will have to look into that product.

Dan

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:24 am 

Expressing feeling in a foreign language is somewhat awkward. I can hardly emagine what you are going through and wish you and yours all the best.
Hope some of your stuff can still be used!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 am 

Yeah, I’m on to the future already.

The first set of dies came out great.
Brass brushed the rust, then 12 hours of evaporust, the rinse, dry, Touched them with 000 steel wool the sprayed with Gibbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am 

I have four sets soaking now..., three sets were clean..somehow stayed dry, and four more over right... starting on tooling next.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am 

The picture is the sizer for a 357 Mag.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm 

Always disappointing to handle equipment that appears ruined. However, it has to be a positive experience to restore some of it. Sorry I can't be there to do some of the work for you. Thank you for sharing your disappointment and your progress, however. It actually means something for many of us.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm 

Sorry you suffered flood damage but glad you are able to restore some of the equipment for use. I live in area of 3 rivers and flooding is an issue sometimes. Dan.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:33 pm 

Man water damage is rough stuff. Sorry you have to deal with it. Glad you can salvage some stuff. Keep at it and someday hopefully soon it will all be in the rear view mirror.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 am 

Floods can be devastating, just wondering if you carried Flood Insurance?

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 pm 

Yes. I did have flood insurance. Yes they paid. No I will not refinish the lower level. Figure if it flooded once, it could flood twice.. much easier to wash it out vs demo the thing again.

Clear lawsuits will be around for years... maybe decades. I’d hope to recover contents. Interestingly, insurer told me I can’t buy content coverage. Adjuster disagreed.

The homeowners around the lakes are getting nervous as the lakebed eroded fairly quickly now that it’s not under a stable body of water...

Light seems to be at the end of the tunnel. I should have power service and furnace replaced in 2 weeks... ugh.

Not a heat person. I’d like Canada...

Hope they open the border soon. I could use a fishing break.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm 

Hang in there man. Some times the waiting was the hardest part of our fire recovery. CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 am 

Yes, it is.

Had some father on time at the range.

We took the AR (140/140 rounds fired) 243 win(25/26rounds fired) and 300 wsm.(17/18 rounds fired).

So had two go click. A 243 and a 300 wsm. I’d guess most the wet ammo was under water about 55 hours...it confirms my thinking this is all plinking ammo now... willl load fresh for game in the fall.

Was the AR’s first trip to the range. I see why people like them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 am 

Man, that sucks. Were any of your firearms damaged?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 am 

Actually no. Most the guns survived. They had issued an evacuation imminent dam failure at 11 pm Tuesday night, about 20 miles away from the first dam. We emptied the safes at that time. About 3 am I had the guns up stairs and everything down stairs 3’ off the floor. At 3:30am Wednesday they gave an all clear. False alarm, dams are structurally sound... 5:15 pm Wednesday, roughly 14 hours later the first dam breached, no warning until it was failing. A hole in the dam opened about 25’ below the top of the dam, so that one blew out dramatically. Lots of video on it. Edenville dam. 60 minutes later, the lake was completely gone. About 30 minutes after the breach, a wall of water took out part of US10 and over-topped the Sanford dam, eroding it to the point it drained that lake as well. 21billion gallons of water in Wixom lake and 8 Billion in Sanford. During the next 24 hours I think 3 or 4 containment dykes failed. 6000 home impacted. 500 with flood insurance. Many effected were not in the 100 flood plain, but in the 500 yr flood plain.

My house has a walk out with a 9x7’ slider. I think the door held till the water reach 4 feet or so given 40# sand bags travelled 27’, made a corner and were found 5’ up the staircase. Also had a sandbag under the gun safe. Safes were stacked on each other. I think they floated until they flooded then sank. Was dicey trying to get them unstacked and upright again.

I’d wish a flood in no one. Can’t imagine what The big hurricanes do. Our biggest problem is labor for repairs. Not enough electricians and heating and cooling people. Construction not far behind.

I haven’t seen a count for a while but 60 homes were condemned in a couple house due to foundation and basement walls collapsing.

A good piece of advice, never finish a basement level if you are in a flood plane. Basically, there is a test and if you fail it, your choices are all bad. Fill the basement to a height of 12” above 100 to flood plane, or raise the house 12” above flood plane. The test is, the cost of repairs to original state, if over 50%, triggers compliance requirements to rebuild 12” above 100 yr flood plane.

One mistake that people made was pumping out before the water table dropped, the result was collapsed basement walls.

Thursday is a big day for us in terms of repairs. Furnace/ac, and 200 amp service to be repaired.

Was very happy to have a kinda relaxing Sunday, Church, range, steaks. Wash and wax the car and truck.

I can’t say enough about being prepared to evacuate. Kudos to my better half. She grabbed identity papers, legal docs like titles, and cash. I grabbed clothes and meds, booked a hotel 30 miles away... out the door under 20 minutes. Probably not good enough, but we are ready if it ever happens again. (Yes, took my 9mm, 1911, and 357 with me). I knew which ones could stay.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS