Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mom and Dad.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:37 pm 

I've been blessed to have been raised by 2 people that have set examples that sadly I often have a hard time following.

My 83 yr old Mom and 84 yr old Dad celebrated their 64'th Anniversary last week. I'm the youngest of 6 and am at half a century. Mom and Dad's kids are getting old. :shock: :)

My Mother is very soft spoken. Dad sometimes showed more of a temper. Still in all that time I've never heard my Dad cuss and never seen my parents in any kind of a heated argument with voices raised. Disagreements yes. What I'd call an argument in anger, no. If it ever happened it wasn't around us kids.

When my Dad would get extra mad at something, usually equipment he was working on and a wrench would slip etc, the most you ever heard out of him was calling it a dirty rotten bastard. :lol:

I visit them often, usually several times a week and all we do this time of the yr is sit on the porch and talk about a lot of nothing really but it's quality time. Don't know why but as they get up in years I think about this kind of stuff more. If you've got parents living yet I recommend taking advantage of any time you've got.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Mom and Dad.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm 

Mine are right next door. Sometimes I take them for granted. Still work with my dad every day. He’s 70, I’m 48 and I can’t keep up on a shovel.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:35 am 

ShadeTree wrote:
I've been blessed to have been raised by 2 people that have set examples that sadly I often have a hard time following.

My 83 yr old Mom and 84 yr old Dad celebrated their 64'th Anniversary last week. I'm the youngest of 6 and am at half a century. Mom and Dad's kids are getting old. :shock: :)

My Mother is very soft spoken. Dad sometimes showed more of a temper. Still in all that time I've never heard my Dad cuss and never seen my parents in any kind of a heated argument with voices raised. Disagreements yes. What I'd call an argument in anger, no. If it ever happened it wasn't around us kids.

When my Dad would get extra mad at something, usually equipment he was working on and a wrench would slip etc, the most you ever heard out of him was calling it a dirty rotten bastard. :lol:

I visit them often, usually several times a week and all we do this time of the yr is sit on the porch and talk about a lot of nothing really but it's quality time. Don't know why but as they get up in years I think about this kind of stuff more. If you've got parents living yet I recommend taking advantage of any time you've got.

Amen. My Dad lived into his mid 80's and my Mom until 90. While they are living it is never too late to express love, respect and honor. Nor is it too late to share a sunrise or a sunset or a memory. But once they pass any thing unspoken will remain unspoken forever. In our busy world it may be tough to take the time to stop by for a cup of coffee and say "hi". But such a small gesture in our busy day becomes the high light of their whole day. That is all they most enjoy in late life - a visit from their children.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27 pm 

Shade- First off Happy Anniversary to your folks! How blessed we are to have been raised by such parents! I only recall hearing my Dad cuss twice in my life. Once at me... Mom will be 81, Dad's gone home 7 years ago come a couple weeks from now. You do well. Blessings to all.

The photo of Dad below must be circa 1976 or so...

Sorry couldn't find one of both...and this seemed appropriate for the forum. My cousin has the model 12 now (he could make better use of it than me) but I have the hat and coat, Much more faded and worn.

CL

Last edited by cloverleaf on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 pm 

My Dad was a single parent who raised two sons. He died my first year in Canada (1980). What a miserable trip back to KS to bury him. We were close, phoning at least once each week if only to say, "Hey." After all these years, I miss him and find myself wishing he was around to talk with. Family is precious, and in the final analysis, there is such a dreadfully short time to be family. Precious memories and a dull ache that never quite goes away fully.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm 

Both my parents are gone. My Dad 18yrs, and Mom 7yrs. We were very close and not a day goes by that I don’t think of them. Huge emptiness that will never be filled.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS