20" BBL, Short Action, Best Predator Cartridge

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
OK, the other thread on here talking about the Ultimate Long Range Predator Chambering got me to thinking.

I really prefer a nice light bolt action carbine, let's say with a 20" Barrel MAX and a Short Action. When I modified my wife's Remington 700 20" SPS Stainless Synthetic .308 I absolutely loved the size and handling of that .308. In fact so much so that I have often thought about the title to this thread.

I guess all the years shooting T/C Contender Handguns, then 16" and 20" AR-15's has set a pattern for me in that I like compact guns.

I am thinking the answer is going to be either a .243 or 6.5 Creedmore / .260 Remington.

What say you guys?

Larry

Those 3 would be the ones I would suggest with either the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoore at the top of the list. Either of them will do fine in a 20" barrel, I had a 260 with that length and had no trouble clanking steel at 400 yards. A 1 in 8 twist would be the best so you can handle the full range of bullets.Remington is chambering a 260 Rem 1 in 8 twist this year and I believe they still chamber the Model 7 and new a 24" SPS in it if you don't want to go with a custom. Actually there are a bunch of good 1 in 8 twist Creedmoore and 260 Rem guns out there these days.

If you are only hunting coyotes, the 243 Win would be tough to beat. If you are going to include deer, the 243 Win will work but the 260 Rem would be even better.

JD338

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking. In my mind the .243 would be the economical choice. Between the 6.5 Creedmore and the .260 Remington is there a clear winner?

Larry

PS Yes Deer would be included also at times.

The Creedmore apparently gives you a bit more flexibility in bullet seating depth over the 260 Rem, the 260 Rem has more components available from the cheap Remington brass to the high quality Lapua and Norma stuff. There are minor difference between them but on game performance will be the same, I like the 260 Rem better for the reasons stated earlier.

If you're going to go up to the 260, I'd advise you go ahead and consider the 7mm-08 as well. It is readily available in short action bolt guns with 20-22" barrels. Can't imagine a better round for the purpose and distance, if you're talking a primary medium game rifle with varmints thrown in (which is where the 260 fits).

If it's mainly varmints plus the odd opportunity on deer, as JD said, the 243Win is ideal. With the right 85-90gr bullet, one load would do yotes and deer.

I think I have that exact rifle at home. It is my son's M700 Youth. 20" barreled 243 Win. Twisted fast enough to run the 105 Amax's out at around 2975. Accurate as all get out and just handles real well. It still has the youth stock on it, but eventually we are going to put it into a svelte little B&C Medalist Alaskan. Should make for a perfect varmint rig. It is a very fun rifle to shoot. It might be nice if I had a 1-8 twist, but so far, the regular 1-9.25" works fine with the 105's and everything else so I am not complaining too much. Now, if I could only get out for some hunting!

Thanks guys. I will have to do some more research. I still do not have my new to me .25-06 up and running, waiting on my Gunsmith now to bed it. This next project may be a ways off in the future.

Thanks

Larry

Is it practical to neck down the .308 parent case to 6.5, seems like the Creedmore is slightly shorter. The 308 case would give it a little more capacity. I am using my 308 for my Predator rifle.

Actually I do not have any long range Handguns any more. But I do know a couple guys that use the .260 in Speciality Pistols with good success.

Here's a 20" barreled predator and deer killing machine.... it's a Rem. 700 'youth' .243.

It shoots 55 grain NBTs at 3850 and 95 NBTs at 3050... both to the same point of impact at 100 yards (by design of course).

My .243 is on the way to the 'smith now to get 3" chopped off the 24" spout.... that's how much I like this format.

Here's the monster 300+ lb blacktail buck it pole-axed this year....

I guess my first question would be, are coyotes the only predator in your neck of the woods, and then secondly, are you interested in preserving the pelts? And then for double duty, will it be more likely used on deer, or gophers and other varmints?
If it is for coyotes, pronghorn and deer, with no real concern for pelt damage, then any of thee three cartridges that you've mentioned would be fine. I too would also include the 250 Savage or 257 Roberts and 6mm Rem to this mix. (This is what I built my 250 AI for, but with a 22" barrel).
If it is for coyotes and smaller, then I would lean for the 243 and smaller cartridges. Top out at the 220 Swift, down through the22-250 and 223, to the 204 Ruger. Depending of course on the maximum distances you want to be able to take these critters out to.
Me, for something in this line of cartridges, with pelt preservation in mind, and nothing over 300yards...I'm looking at the 221 Fireball on a Sako 85 Varmint Laminated Stainless...unless I can come across an older left handed action.

It would be used for mainly Coyotes. Deer would be a sometimes thing in that it would be used as a second rifle and or one for my grandkids. Songdog that 20" Remington looks like it works great for you. I too have used 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips in the past in a .243 I used to have for Whitetails with great results.

Thanks again guys.

Larry in SD":zfqmhocc said:
Actually I do not have any long range Handguns any more. But I do know a couple guys that use the .260 in Speciality Pistols with good success.

Sorry- I thought you were building a "charger" at one pint. Musta been some body else. Good luck with your search. Must have a few yotes in your part of Gods country? CL

Just a simple accurate 243 will kill all the predators your after. Good from 40-400 without much guess work .

Nice male taken last week 243 75 gr VMax.. All credit to the fox pro on this one. Thank you Lightning Jack!!

Based on what you've stated - mostly coyote, occasional deer opportunity - I'd also recommend a good 243Win. There are some heavy barreled options if you'd like, but in a 20" tube, you could do a sporter contour and likely get excellent accuracy for three to four shots at a time. You won't likely get more than two shots on a yote.

cloverleaf":377oh9mh said:
'Course there is always room in the world for another 250 Savage :) :) :) CL

Yep yep yep. 250-3000 is what you want! You can use it if you see a good deer or pig too.

I was thinking a 257 Roberts. I've killed deer and varmints with mine as far as I can see them with the naked eye. Ground hogs at 5 to 600 yards easily. mine likes anything I feed it except the long 120s because of the 1-12 twist which I bought just for varmints. I use a 115gr for deer or 100gr which seems to be the most accurate in my rifle.

Why anyone would build a .25 anything anymore is beyond me. The .243 vs. .250 savage or Bob is a joke right? The .243 can clock 4k and run .500 BC bullets.... the Bob/Sav can't even come close to either. More recoil for less performance.... Yippie!

Back