200gr. Partition ot Accubond in a 300 H&H?

300 H&H

Beginner
Aug 31, 2010
I want to use a heavy bullet in my 300 H&H that I inheraited from my father. I drew a cow elk tag this year and max. shots will be 30ft. to out to 200yds. in timber. I also drew for a Quality any buck tag too. Shots are in wheat field and CRP for the deer hunting (farher ranges). I have loaded 200gr. Partitions for this rifle. I would like to carry this rifle on both hunts so I feel like dad is with me. Or should I just use my 270wsm with 140gr.Accubonds that I have used on deer in the past and use the 300 H&H for elk only? My real question is would you use a 200gr. AccuBond or Partition for elk at 300 H&H velosity from ranges 30ft. to 200yds?

Obviously both bullets would work great but there is something about that 200 gr AccuBond with it's .588 ballistic coeficient that gets a guys attention :grin: Can't imagine why it wouldn't work great at the ranges you talked about plus much farther out.

It is a classic cartridge and rifle so I would run PTs out of it and be very happy. Out to 500 yards the BC won't make a big enough difference to matter and the PT is Classic like the rifle and cartridge! Scotty

Buy a box of each, and see which one shoots best from your .300 H&H.

I'm a big believer in 180 & 200 gr bullets for the .300 magnums.

Guy

Load either Partitions of AccuBonds in the 300, and you'll be fine for your hunt.

I would lean towards the 200 gr PT. This is the bullet (actually 180 gr PT) and cartridge that started the Nosler revolution over 60 years ago.

JD338

beretzs":km8r65qj said:
It is a classic cartridge and rifle so I would run PTs out of it and be very happy. Out to 500 yards the BC won't make a big enough difference to matter and the PT is Classic like the rifle and cartridge! Scotty

I'm with Scotty, a classic caliber useing a classic big game bullet. What could be better?

Bill

OU812":20xb0a32 said:
beretzs":20xb0a32 said:

I'm with Scotty, a classic caliber useing a classic big game bullet. What could be better?

Bill

If I ever found a nice M70 300 H&H, in good condition for less than my kids college fund, I would have to get it. I would most definitely load it with 200gr PT's! What a great load/rifle that would be. Granted, it might not be a RUM or something, but it would sweet in my eyes and do alot of things really well around 2800-2900. Scotty

300-

There is nothing that can replace that surreal feeling of the loved and lost walking beside us on a hunt. I have felt it, and not always when using an heirloom rifle but when hunting in old stomping grounds we both enjoyed in days gone by.

I feel like you will have the gun of guns for both deer and elk by using a faithful old rifle inscribed 300 H and H Magnum shooting 200 grain partitions. Do some longer range shooting to prepare you for a beyond 200 yard shot that may present itself for deer season but you will have no regrets from using this rifle of your father's on both deer and elk.

And as a side note, I am jealous of your 300 H and H Mag, but I am consoled because I get to choose whether I am going to use a 300 Savage which belonged to my grandfather or a 308 (also a Savage 99) which was my father's rifle for deer season this year. Good hunting! :mrgreen:

I forgot to mention this, but that 300 with 200gr PT's will be anything but arched trajectory. With a good 250-275 yard zero, 400 yard shots should be chip shots for you, with a little time on the range to dial it in. It pushes the 200gr PT faster than a 30-06 with a 180 and nobody has really complained too much about it's trajectory at all. You got a winner in my book.. Scotty

Thanks a bunch. I will use the 200gr. Partitions for both deer and elk. I will let my son use the 270wsm. I might have to sneak in closer on the deer. I have a Leupold VXIII 1.5x5x20mm with the Heavy Duplex reticle mounted on the 300 H&H while the 270wsm has a Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex reticle. I will load some more 200gr. Partitions and get some more range time in before season.
Thanks again.

You need to put some pictures of targets and that rifle man! I hope it shoots lights out for ya! Scotty

Yeah those two are a match made in heaven.

Pictures please and let us know how the venison and elk meat taste this fall!

I will post pictures of rifle, animal and bullet if recovered. Thanks for all your opinions.

beretzs":3h0aufb8 said:
OU812":3h0aufb8 said:
beretzs":3h0aufb8 said:

Bill

If I ever found a nice M70 300 H&H, in good condition for less than my kids college fund, I would have to get it. I would most definitely load it with 200gr PT's! What a great load/rifle that would be. Granted, it might not be a RUM or something, but it would sweet in my eyes and do alot of things really well around 2800-2900. Scotty

Don't remind me.......remember? I passed up a fantastic Pre-'64 in 300H&H for $1300.

Yes, I was stupid.

tddeangelo":1idc9i7v said:
Don't remind me.......remember? I passed up a fantastic Pre-'64 in 300H&H for $1300.

Yes, I was stupid.

Ah, we can't get them all! That was a nice one though! Scotty :lol:

Back