2016 Plains Game hunt

First morning Gemsbok with Zulu the tracking dog in training

Juan, Holly, yours truly, Morne, and Zulu the picture hog.

My Zebra with two others trying to take credit for it :lol:

Holly and her first kill ever.

One of the local park wardens and my tracker Sais (awesome tracker!). The park bordered the property that we hunted on. The warthog end up in the park after getting a Texas heart shot from me (I was told to take it) and a gut shot from Morne trying to stop him getting into the park. We had to stop tracking him after that and get permission to recover him the next morning.

Great pictures of Zulu, Brian. Seriously, looks as if it was a great time for you and your good lady. Congratulations on some fine game animals. (y)

Brian,

Congratulations to Holly and you on your successful safari. You both took some very nice animals.
What rifle(s) and load(s) did you use?

JD338

Well that is just OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations. And thanks for sharing your photos. Love the doggone Gemsbok! (y)

Thanks guys! We all had a great time and 5 days was not enough for me. I think all three of us have the Africa bug and will go back. I was more than surprise at how extremely professional the PHs and staff were during our hunt and stay at the lodge.

JD,

I took my 300 RUM with 200gr Accubonds which did great on everything but, the warthog (Texas heart shot) and the kudu (extreme quartering away shot). Both needed finishing shots. My Wildbeest was less than 30 yards and was dead before it hit the ground. Gemsbok went maybe 10 yards and the zebra went 50 yards at the most. Holly and Junious both used suppressed 308 wins with 180gr Sako Hammerheads. They took 3 impala, 2 Wildbeest, and a gemsbok with that 180 and everything was DRT. I was amazed at how well they worked. Holly did shoot a Wildbeest that we never found. Solid hit behind the shoulder 125-130 yards away with a good blood trail and lots of lung blood. Tracked it for two days and lost the trail.

A guy in our group lost a Kudu during our hunt and the PH's found it a few days after we left. They will probably run across it before too long and you might be able to at least get the horns/skull. African animals are pretty tough. I shot my Blesbok with a 30-338 win mag and the rest with my 375-358STA including my Kudu at 513yds. The same guy that lost the Kudu had to shoot a Wildebeast 4 times with a 358STA before he got it. A couple weren't the best shots but the thing took some punishment. I guess that is why they call them a poor mans Cape Buffalo.

Sounds like a good time was had by all and there are plenty of animals for the wall. You guys were busy for only hunting 5 days. We were there for 14 days and hunting for 10. 4 of use took 16 animals. I really wanted to shoot some baboons but the only ones we saw were on the way to the ranch we hunted Kudu on. We did see a couple Leopards at first light and a huge Cobra. Did you guys see any cats, Cape Buffalo, Hippo, or anything else cool besides what you shot?

Holly's first Wildebeest was hit good but, man they are tough. My kudu was a tough one to bring down. After the first shot, the poop hit the fan and the chase was on. Tracking him down we had 3 buff charge in on us. Thought I was going to get a Cape buff for free :mrgreen: The only time I thought I didn't have a big enough rifle while carrying the 300 RUM.

We hunted from sun up till sun down just about everyday. Didn't see any cats, hippo, or baboons and really wanted a baboon. My PH Juan is all about hunting hippo. He is trying get me to come back and hunt with him at night in the sugar cane fields. Said the shots average about 10 yards on the hippo :shock: We stalked right up on 2 buff the first morning within 30 yards. Lucky for us we bumped an eland that got the buff to stand up. Otherwise we would have tripped over them. Had an awesome cape buff bull standoff with our truck at a watering hole. Damn thing was looking at us like we owed him money and he was going to see how tough the truck was.

A spitting cobra in the road on the way to camp from the airport. J Dog had a close encounter with a puff adder and I had a Parabuthus scorpion mixed in with clothes while packing up to leave. A pair of tongs was retrieved from the kitchen to get the scorpion out of the room.

So when are you returning?
I went on my one-and-only Africa hunt in 2013.................I am booked for my 2nd and final one in May 2017 :)

What a great trip Brian and thanks for sharing the pictures. Sure looks like you were roughing it in that lodge!

Divernhunter":1qv4qm1g said:
So when are you returning?
I went on my one-and-only Africa hunt in 2013.................I am booked for my 2nd and final one in May 2017 :)

I would be on a plane tomorrow if I could find the extra couple of dollars for a cape buff hunt :mrgreen:

Back