.223 rem partition

Flakjkt

Beginner
Jan 5, 2006
Any body use the .60gr .223 partions on deer? I bought some to load up. I have used hornady 60grsp in past and was happy but want more insurance. I dont want to start a debate on the ethical use of the .223 on deer. It is legal in my state and have taken six deer with it with no different results then my .308 just less meat damage I have never lost one.

Flakjkt.
In the February issue of Shooting Times Rick Jamison has an article on "Loading the 22-250 for Deer". He test fires all the .224 inch bullets into wet news print at 15 feet. There is a really nice picture of all seven bullets recovered with a unfired bullet. There is alot of good information in his article. The 223 Rem at 3100 fps would be a little less destructive to the Nosler 60 gr bullet. The 60 gr Nosler in the 22-250 was going 3446 fps in this article. Weight retension was 75%, penetration 14", and recovered bullet diameter was .39". The Swift 75 gr Scirocco was the best of the 7 bullets. It had 90% weight retension, penetration 15", widest bullet diameter of .48". The Swift 75 gr Scirocco was fired into water at eleven different velocities from 2100 fps thru 3200 fps. The best looking bullets were at 223 Rem velocities.

The 60 gr Nosler would be my first choice in the 223 Rem. Most 223 Rem will not stabilize 70 gr bullets on up without a faster twist barrel. Last year I came across a good deal on a box of Speer 70 gr 224 cal bullets. This bullet was not in the article so I can only guess what it would do. They shot ok in my Savage rifle. I too want to have a Deer load for my 223 Rem and it will be with the Nosler 60 gr bullets.

This does not answer your question as I have not used them on Deer. But I have done alot of bullet testing over the years to see how bullets hold up and how far they penetraite. This gives you a good idea how bullets will perform. Because of the small diameter of the .224 cal bullets, I would pick the bullets with the largest frontal diameter that would penetrate the most. Scirocco 75 grain First choice. Nosler 60 grain Partion first choice if your rifle will not shoot the heavy Scirocco. Maybe Nosler will make a 60 gr or 70 gr AccuBond for Deer hunters !!!!

Hopefully this is of some help.! Greyfox

Thanks for your reply My gun does not do well with the 70gr I will stick with the 60gr Partition. I have worked up a load that shoots well and cant wait to get a chance to test it in real game. I would love to see the AccuBond in .22cal and 6mm That would make me smile and buy bullets.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and bought a box of the 60 gr Partitions. In March when I can chronograph loads I will work up a load and test them out. Benchmark and Rel 15 powder will be tried first. Before March I hope to shoot one into water filled milk jugs. This way I can recover one and see what they look like.

Greyfox

Back