243 next project

lcq

Beginner
Nov 1, 2014
Hi all

Thanks to everyone my 7mm mag is sorted. I am looking for suggestions for my 243.

I have the following

Brass Hornady
Powders varget, H4895, H4831, IMR4350, Supreme 780 and IMR 7828
bullet 95gr SST or Berger 87 and 105 VLD

I'm off to Africa early next year and need to sort out the 243 fast

many thanks in advance

I've used IMR7828 in a 243 with 100 gr partitions with a lot of work . the IMR7828 sc will be much much better to work with . the long cut powder is hard to work with in this small case . my load was highly compressed and caused problems that the short cut powder should solve .

I found MagPro with 100gr Partitions to be very good. It seems to work well also with the 90gr Accubonds.
It a sleeper powder for the 243 and heavier bullets. Check out the Western Powder load data. They also have data on 105gr.
You might find that the Hornaday brass has a lot more capacity than Lapua or Norma and corresponding velocities with identical charge weights.

Thanks for the help guys. Data is all over the place as far as charge weights. I'll just have to dive in and try before the weather really sours. Snow on the ground already

jimbires":3q0wd6og said:
I've used IMR7828 in a 243 with 100 gr partitions with a lot of work . the IMR7828 sc will be much much better to work with . the long cut powder is hard to work with in this small case . my load was highly compressed and caused problems that the short cut powder should solve .

7828ssc opens new doors for the .243 Win with 100gr bullets. RL19 is my preference for 80-90gr bullets. Any of the 4350's and slower should give you a good starting place.

Well I have a great load for the 95 sst. 46.5 H4381 @ 3026 less than 0.5 moa.

The 105 Bergers were a disaster. while they shot about 1.5 moa this summer I was lucky to get 1 foot in the cold weather. 1:9.125 twist isn't going to cut it.

Thanks for everyone for the help

Be careful with the 95gr SST on anything fairly close or any bone, explosive is an understatement from what I have seen from them.

Not sure what Bergers you are spinning but the 105 Hornady BTSP runs in my 1:9.125" Remington in hot or cold weather. They are a touch shorter than a lot of the other 105's and I hear even work in 1:10 twists.

HeathSexton":3bcgjtkq said:
Be careful with the 95gr SST on anything fairly close or any bone, explosive is an understatement from what I have seen from them.

Not sure what Bergers you are spinning but the 105 Hornady BTSP runs in my 1:9.125" Remington in hot or cold weather. They are a touch shorter than a lot of the other 105's and I hear even work in 1:10 twists.

105 VLD hunting. Berger claims 1:8 and they are right. I'm at 500 ft above sea level and it was cold. Some people get away with them up high and in hot weather.

I agree the SST can be a bit of a bomb but I will be hunting Mountain Reedbuck only about 120lbs and the shots will be well over 100yds

Back