.25-06 or .280???

Too Tall

Handloader
Jul 5, 2011
Men, what caliber do you think would be a better long range deer and coyote rifle? I have the magnum end covered. I want a lighter pack rifle that can reach out a little ways.

What say you...

That is a tough one. Either cartridge will serve you well for the criteria you set. I lean toward the .280, primarily because I'm a certified .280 crank. Also, the .280 will give me a little extra mass should I want to use it on something larger. However, for deer and coyotes, the 25-06 will work just fine.

Yeah, seems like that is what the 25-06 was made for! Varmints out far and deer. Great bullets to choose from and very light on recoil. I actually can't wait to get more shooting done with the wife's Model 70 25-06. It is a sweet rifle and is very accurate so far. Can't think of a better dual purpose round than it.

I have a .223, .243 Win, .243 WSSM, 7WSM, 7 STW, .308 Win, 300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, .338 Norma Mag plus a few 'Big Bores' single shots and levers.

My Wife has a .223, .22-250, and .270, all in Model 70 Featherweights.

Now, What say you...

It sort of depends on what you mean by "long range." If you're thinking more than about 350yds, you may want to lean toward the 280Rem to keep energy up enough for bigger deer (160-180lbs) out at that range, but then again, the energy from the 25-06 is still over 1k lbs beyond 500yds with a 100gr Nosler BT. I'd be far more comfortable with more bullet mass at those ranges, though. It just depends on what you're looking for in terms of long range and how much downrange energy you'd like to maintain. It also depends on the ratio of deer to coyote hunting this rifle will see, because it could be fine to use the 25 if 90% of the shots will be on coyote, but if it's primarily a deer rifle, I'd lean toward the bigger round. I'd think, within about 400-500yds, either would work, but you may find yourself limited in terms of the shots you'd take on deer, if your deer are bigger. Of course, if you were in the southeast and many of your deer were under 140lbs live weight, that 100gr BT would become a very viable option out that far.

Looking for a lighter carrying rifle, that does not kick like the STW. Getting old...

Too Tall":2nv6qf3q said:
Looking for a lighter carrying rifle, that does not kick like the STW. Getting old...

There seems to be a lot of that going 'round. :shock:

I have both so for me it's just flipping a coin. :lol: If forced to choose one or the other though, I believe I would go with the .280.
Paul B.

Looking at your current inventory?
You need a 25-06.
My personal preference though would be the 280.....

Howard

I gave a Classic Laminate in .25-06, to the oldest Twin Nephew, a couple years ago. That rifle shot heavies very well.

So I know about the 1/4" bore. But the good bullets in .284, would be one reason to lean towards the .280.

Looking for a Featherweight that does not knock the crap out of you every time you are not in the 'perfect' position. Easy to carry, and capable of longer cold bore shots.

While you have a gap in there, I still would go for a .280. But the .25-06 has great merit as well. Although, I would give the .260 some consideration too. But when you said long range, that brings me to back to the .280 and the new AB-LR coming, with out being over board. ???

Too Tall":2wu8tjdb said:
I gave a Classic Laminate in .25-06, to the oldest Twin Nephew, a couple years ago. That rifle shot heavies very well.

So I know about the 1/4" bore. But the good bullets in .284, would be one reason to lean towards the .280.

Looking for a Featherweight that does not knock the crap out of you every time you are not in the 'perfect' position. Easy to carry, and capable of longer cold bore shots.

TT, sounds like you are gunning for a Featherweight 25-06. Light recoil, easy to carry and plenty of range for all but the longest shooting....

I think your 7WSM would cover anything a 280 would do, looking at your current line up..

Kodiak":22ietgws said:
If ya have a 7STW, ya have your question answered!

AMEN!!! A true reach out and touchem cartridge. Use to bang deer across very large been fields in the Delta of Mississippi and coyotes were for fun. One flat shooting cartridge and to date is still the most accurate cartridge I ever developed a load for.

7mmSTW1threeshotgroup.jpg

Too Tall":3icu8sbc said:

How about a TGR 7mm08 pushing a 160gr Speer SBT 2802fps and with my LR scope making shots on gallon water jug at 500 and a few clicks up from my 500yds mark on my LR scope and I am hitting gallons jugs at 600yds and you talk about easy recoil. Oh, and with a .519 BC

While I realize my experience is substantially less than many other contributors, the 25-06 has been my go to deer caliber for the last 8-10 years. I use others and like them, but for my hunting there have been none that put deer on the ground faster, including magnums. I've used 100 BT's exclusively and have absolutely no qualms about them.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to me there is a "trend" among previous posts/posters concerning field performance that suggests my experience isn't a fluke or coincidence. For the amount of powder used, velocity/accuracy potential, and recoil generated (low), the rate of return performance-wise is very impressive.

Ron

The 25/06 is an outstanding cartridge and another good choice is the 257WBY in a Vanguard to hold cost down on rifle purchase. I really liked mine in a Mark v.

If you want more coyotes than deer, go with the 25-06. If more deer, the 280 Rem.
Both are great rounds. If it were me, I would go with a 25-06. ;)

JD338

Back