25-06 Pac-Nor

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
I am looking into having Pac-Nor rebarrel my early 1970's Model 70 30-06 to a 25-06. I purchased it new back then and it is time for a new barrel. I have always wanted a 25-06. Does anyone have any experience with Pac-Nor? I emailed them and they said if I send the barreled action they would have it back in 10 weeks. Which is great, as my local gunsmith is about 6 months out.

As per Pac-Nor: "Fitting and Chambering. With this option, your new Pac-Nor barrel is completely contoured, polished, handlapped, threaded, chambered, & crowned and then fitted and trued to your action."

Any thoughts?

I have a PacNor barrel on my RMR in the 35 Whelen and I am more than pleased with it. They are know as one of the top barrel manufacturers from what I have read. I had the shop order my barrel in when they made the rifle so I can not comment on have the action and barrel work but I believe they would do top notch work.

Blessings,
Dan

They've mounted three on actions for me.
I'm happy with the job they did and the results.

I've only had one, made up into a varminter in 6mm Remington. One of the easiest barrels I ever worked up a load for! Very high quality.

Thanks everyone.

I want to shoot 100 gr E-tips and BT, also 110 gr AB. I was thinking a sporter #3 or #4 contour, 24" barrel and a 1 in 10 twist.

What do you guys think? Also what about a crown?

What stock are you using? I would suggest a lighter barrel, max a Pac Nor #2. PN makes great barrels and their contours are a bit heavier than others. A #3 is 0.625 at 26 inches, and if you crown at 24 inches it'll be more like 0.650. With the 0.825 towards the receiver that's a pretty good amount of steel.

Also definitely get either an 8 or a 9 twist. The 10 is standard but bullets aren't getting shorter and the 10 will barely stabilize some of today's longer bullets. If Nosler ever come out with a 25 LRAB you might want the tighter twist.

The type of crown isn't that important so long as it's a good one. PN will do it right. I like a sporter crown myself, but the 11 degree target crown is fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel, thanks for the info, the stock is the original wood stock that I had refinished a few years ago. It was pretty beat up after many years of use hunting on horseback. I talked to PacNor and they will replace the barrel with the same contour and thought the 8 or 9 twist was a good idea also.

Dwh, the super match barrel is only $20 more, great point, thanks.

I got my Pac Nor in a 24" #3 contour. It's heavier than my original 24" sportster 270 win barrel, but lighter than my factory 300 wm Ruger barrel. It's not a light weight rifle, but I think it's a good weight for a walking/hunting rifle.

No question, go with the faster twist. There may come a day when you want to shoot a longer mono, or a VLD style bullet. There is just no down side.

edit: Another thing, I had them install the barrel on my action. They literally sent it back to me completed in about 6 weeks. That was last November. They also told me 10 weeks. …just my experience, may not end up begin the case for you.

NWBlacktail, thank you for your input. That would be great if I was to get the rifle back in 6 weeks, but if not 10 weeks is not bad either. PacNor is very quick at answering emails and they are very easy to talk to over the phone, I really like dealing with them so far.

I have their #3 contour fluted barrel on a light 270 I had built. I had a Kimber Montana 280 Ackley that didn't shoot worth a darn so I had my gunsmith take the Pac Nor off a Winchester I had and put it on the Kimber. I love this set-up, it weighs 6lbs 14.6oz with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS scope mounted in Leupold rings on it. Even with a sling and ammo it is only about 7.5lbs ready to hunt. I have a #3 Pac Nor on a 204 Ruger that shoots darn good also and a #4 fluted I'm going to use to build a 243 someday.

No experience with PN but a tight twisted 25-06 should be pretty danged cool. I like my current M70 25-06 a lot. Great shooting rifle and super easy to get awesome speeds out of. The ETips are making me work a little extra but I believe I'm pretty close to a good load for them.

And I'm with Joel. I'd go lighter on the contour as well.

Thanks mcseal2 and Scotty. Yeah, I'm still working with the Etips in my 300 wsm, they definitely take some patience.

I have no personal experience with Pac Nor but what I have read has been nothing but positive. I really think you will like the 25-06. It sure is a fantastic cartridge.

Not sure of the condition of your stock, but while you have it separated maybe it would be a good time to pillar and glass bed it, and completely strip the stock and refinish it. You will be putting a brand new looking action and barrel into most likely a "weathered" looking stock so why not treat yourself to something really nice to complete the package. If you don't want to mess with the stock maybe get a synthetic like a Bell and Carlson with aluminum bedding block for your hunting rig. Just a thought and me personally I really like wood and having it bedded and pillar bedded really goes a long ways towards having it be a really solid consistent performer.

What good is it if we don't have pictures?? Must have photos!

I have Pac-Nor barrels on several rifles. They are an excellent product. I have no experience with the gunsmithing that Pac-Nor provides as all my work was performed locally. Those that have sent a rifle to Pac-Nor have always spoken well of the work. Can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

Thanks 6mm and DrMike, I did have the stock bedded, refinished and manzantia wood burl forend cap put on a few years ago, so it is in pretty good shape.

6mm, pictures to follow, I hope.

Thanks 6mm and DrMike, I did have the stock bedded, refinished and manzantia wood burl forend cap put on a few years ago, so it is in pretty good shape.

6mm, pictures to follow, I hope.

9c66f585-32a1-4cc9-8913-9a9ff9f74a8e_zpsyoe0i5xc.jpg

408b9710-c452-4b4f-bc78-7b6500fc1043_zpsenreyeek.jpg

Nothing fancy, but the manzanita wood came from my late parents property and is special to me.

It is precisely such touches that enable one to own a rifle. Looks quite nice.

Back