.270 Bullet for Black Bear

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
O.K. you black bear slayers out there, I'm gonna take my .270 win for black bear next year. I'm gonna use a Nosler Partition I'm just not sure of what weight. What bullet weight would you use, the 130, 150, or 160. Gerry got me wondering about those 160s but what do ya'll say?

I would be comfortable with a 130 grain bullet when tackling a blackie. There is nothing wrong with more mass, and we old timers do like the additional mass. However, I am comfortable with a premium bullet that is lighter in most cartridges. I've taken quite a few black bears, many with lighter (for calibre) bullets.

Which ever shoots best in your rifle. I doubt the bear will be able to tell any difference.

Of those you mentioned I would go with the 150 Partition. Slightly better BC with very little sacrifice in SD.

It would be hard to beat as a do all 270 bullet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any would work well, I would look at whichever shot better of the 150 and 160 gr PT's. It is tough to beat the 150 gr Partition for a do everything load if it shoots for you.

It would be a 160 PT for me. Talk about a bone crushing, deep penetrating with a massive mushroom bullet. The 160 has a decent BC and a high SD. Very attractive bullet in my opinion.

Bruce Mc":26lbfuwo said:
. What bullet weight would you use, the 130, 150, or 160. Gerry got me wondering about those 160s but what do ya'll say?

The one your rifle shoots best.... if you're shooting over bait, the 160 would be the ticket.

Otherwise, whatever shoots the best- can't imagine the bear would know the difference.

Any will work as long as a good shot is made. I've witnessed 2 black bears eat 180g slugs from a 30-06 and were never found due to poor shot placement. Use whatever bullet makes you most confident and ultimately take a good shot. Too many people think a "premium" bullet allows them to take marginal shots. I'm sure you will find success with any of the three mentioned. Enjoy your hunt!

The 270win is more than enough for a black bear and the weight of the bullet likely means more on how you are hunting them. I have shot black bear with my 270win using 130gr. Partition over a bait at about 45 yards. If I was to go again over a bait I would use the 160gr. Partition as the pill :wink:! As DrMike often states a little more mass never hurts you.

Blessings,
Dan

The ranges are going to vary, spot and stalk hunting. I've never been to northeast Washington but from what I've seen on line, the shots can be long across a canyon or just across a clearing. Won't be hunting over bait.

I'm with the others. Any of them would be more than fine in my book. I tend to like the 150's if you can get them up over 2900 from your rifle. The added BC probably overtakes a 130 fairly quick. 100% trust in the 150 to do what it needs to from a 270. Again, any of them will have plenty of penetration and result in dead bear pretty easily.

Good luck on your hunt.

I'm am just hung up on that 160 right now. The 150 will probably end up being the best option.

The 150 will be plenty. The 160's will be a little slow out of the 270. I use 140's and 150's, and they fall down.

Back