270 wsm for a 308 win?

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
Hey guy's one of my friends really likes the looks of my marlin xs7 stainless steel 308 winchester. He likes it so much that he wants to trade me his weatherby vanguard 270 wsm. What do you guy's think? I am really impressed with the wsm but the 308 is a classic round. It's a hard decisions.

corbin9191":46dtzfi3 said:
Hey guy's one of my friends really likes the looks of my marlin xs7 stainless steel 308 winchester. He likes it so much that he wants to trade me his weatherby vanguard 270 wsm. What do you guy's think? I am really impressed with the wsm but the 308 is a classic round. It's a hard decisions.
...........................That is a real tempting proposition imo.

Ask yourself this.....Based on the type of game, the terrain, and average shooting distances which you have done, now do, and will do or can foresee, is there anything that a 270 WSM can do better than a 308?

For flatter longer ranged trajectories, the 270 WSM will win hands down in that dept and will kill game just as effectively as the 308. Imo, and depending on which Vanguard, the Vanguard is somewhat an upgrade over the Marlin.

If the overall condition of his rifle such as the stock, the action and the bore is very good, has had no accuracy issues, and you like the feel and handling of it, then I`d give that trade some very serious consideration.

Yeah, the 308 I suppose can be considered a classic great 30 cal round, but a 270 WSM
will put some more zip, some more zing, and some more whizzum into your inventory, which can darn near rival the 270 Wby Mag.

Have fun deciding that one.

...make the trade...

...quickly, very quickly...

...before he comes to his senses...

I also do have the 7mm wsm :lol: . But I will be shooting longer distances like I usually do. The bore and everything else is in great condition.

So you've got an XS7 in .308 and he wants to trade you a Vanguard in .270WSM?

I'd take that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

There is nothing the .308 will do that the .270WSM won't do better- except shoot crappy surplus MG ammo.

The Vanguard is (IMHO) a superior rifle to the budget minded XS7.

DO IT!

I would do like wildgene said: Make the trade before he comes to his senses. The Weatherby rifle is a better rifle than the Marlin and 270 wsm is a much better caliber than a 308.

Chambering would have very little to do with my choice... I don't really like Marlin bolt guns, but love Howas/Vanguards. Do it!

DrMike":3jckp327 said:
TRADE! TRADE! TRADE! Pray he doesn't read this forum.
......................Yep! He may be a Nosler forum member and just might read all of the above comments.

If I were part of the trade deal and read all the comments, then I`d withdraw from the deal and keep my 270 WSM.

Oldtrader3":3ivp41bd said:
I wondered if this was a trick question?
Nope not a trick question :lol: . I just asked him again tonight and he said right now he wants to hold onto the rifle and go through hunting season with it but maybe someday again he might want to trade.

Man, sometimes you just can't trade fast enough. That's okay though. You have the 7WSM so you wouldn't be stepping up. I do love my 270WSM alot though. Very awesome cartridge with ally of clout. Scotty

I'll go against the grain here. Assuming the Vanguard is a blue/synthetic model, I would say the values are roughly equivalent. If you already have a 7 WSM, you have the better of the two very similar WSMs anyway. A .308 gives you something a little different in a stainless rifle. It will use less powder, brass is cheaper, and it won't take as long to cool between shots.

If either rifle were a .30-06 it would be a no-brainer, but, in this instance, I'd probably hold on to the .308.

I'm in argeement with Rovert on this one, but it is close to a wash.
I have a Marlin XL7 and it is a good rifle with a great trigger, and in SS puts it up near even with a blue Vanguard. And since you already have a 7 WSM I think I might keep it, especially if it's a good shooter. If it is a dog, trade on!

Back