270Win & Nosler M48 Patriot 150 grain ABLR

Ok will anyone who has loaded the 150 gr ABLR in any .270 Win please comment with your results? How good is it? And load data recommendations Thanks Mike

Mike,

I played with the 150 ABLR in my 270 Win with mixed results. I didn't quite find the exact combination for consistent results. I could get some great groups but then not be able to repeat them. When I retire I plan to go back and see if I can finish load development. I believe I posted some results on this forum a couple of years ago.

With the shorter bearing surface I seemed to obtain higher velocities with this bullet than with other 150 grain bullets with longer bearing surfaces.

The good groups that I did get were with IMR7828ssc. I think this bullet is fairly sensitive to the amount of bullet jump and I never did a well designed test to find the correct jump for this bullet in my rifle. I am thinking that for my rifle the magic jump might in the range of .070" to .080" However, others have reported good results with longer bullet jumps.

I have had such great results with the 150 BT and RL-23 that I plan to use that load into the foreseeable future. However, I am curious if I can get some good results with the 150 ABLR and RL-23.

I believe that recommended barrel twist for the .277 150 gr. ABLR is 1:9". However, my rifle has a twist rate of 1:10". I don't know if that is a factor or not. I played around with the JBMBallistics calculator some and depending on the velocity and temperature, I could very easily get stability factors below the recommended factor of 1.3. I think having a velocity of 2900 fps or higher will be required to get a stability factor of 1.3 or higher at low temperatures.

You might want to do a search on this forum for "150 ABLR" and see if you can find previous posts from other reloaders who have reported their results.

Good luck with your endeavors. I would be most interested in your results.

Dan

Thanks NYDAN for now I think I will just work with the 130 and 140 AB after deer season. For sure want to hit the range while it is cold Have been using IMR 4350 want to try RL22.

Back