28 Nosler Barrel life vs powder used and charge weight.

dad11345

Beginner
Dec 13, 2022
I would like to load down to the 2.950 fps range. My chose in powder is H1000 or US869. Barrel life is an issue. The H1000 Load uses 77.5 gr vs US869 90.3 gr for the same velocity. Does the burn rate of the H1000 trump the difference is powder charge of the US869 in terms of preserving barrel life?

Flame temp and duration could be the decision, but which one will it be! Barrel life for prs or hunting in general? I have close to 3k rounds thru a pre'64 264wm and still keeps ticking.

Flame temp and duration could be the decision, but which one will it be! Barrel life for prs or hunting in general? I have close to 3k rounds thru a pre'64 264wm and still keeps ticking.
This ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Just one of those things you don't really know until after the fact and then it's too late.
I would like to load down to the 2.950 fps range. My chose in powder is H1000 or US869. Barrel life is an issue. The H1000 Load uses 77.5 gr vs US869 90.3 gr for the same velocity. Does the burn rate of the H1000 trump the difference is powder charge of the US869 in terms of preserving barrel life?
My .02 cents is use it, enjoy it.
When time comes for a bbl you will have enough fun that a bbl replacement cost will seem negligible.

At least that's me. I really enjoy shooting so I say shoot, enjoy and go from there

Load so that maximum chamber pressure is kept at a reasonable level, and you will get a long life out of the rifle. If you insist on wringing out every last fps and tickle the dragon's tail, things go downhill quite a bit faster. Modern steels hold up quite well, but all steel eventually succumbs to heat and pressure. My 7RM has near 5K rounds down the pipe, and it still provides me sub-MOA. The average round count for that particular cartridge is considerable less than that, but I've been very careful not to shoot it hot or ride it hard and put it away wet.

Dr Mike, 5,000 is one heck of a lot of rounds through a 7mm Rem mag! :)

I've always just shrugged my shoulders and figured I'd have to replace a barrel for the hot - rod cartridges sooner.

Prolonged strings of fire, rapid fire, not letting a barrel cool... Those things are barrel killers.

I don't know the answer to your question. I'd just shoot whichever load produces the best accuracy, and hunt with that. When the barrel starts going bad, replace it.

Your rifle cartridge is a hot rod. :) Enjoy it.

Guy

I suggested you try it because that way you would be sure, I tried it with H-1000 and WC872 (another ball powder) on the suggestion of Kirby Allen.
I used 93 gr WC872 behind a 162 amax, and 80 gr. H1000 behind the same bullet in a 7mm STW the results were very obvious.

Dr Mike, 5,000 is one heck of a lot of rounds through a 7mm Rem mag! :)

Guy
I've got the receipts on this, Guy. Granted, I'm well past the 1500 or so rounds that I anticipated. It is no longer a 0.1 MOA rifle, but the loads I launched last summer still provided me 0.75 MOA, which is plenty good for most of the hunting I'd ever do. No doubt the throat is eroded significantly, but the old girl just keeps on ticking. If I thought I was going to live and hunt for a lot more years, I'd definitely be replacing the barrel. As it is, I'm just pleased that I'm able to witness some decent groups whenever I make it to the range.

Mostly hunting but also minimal use out to 1,250 at the range.

I suggested you try it because that way you would be sure, I tried it with H-1000 and WC872 (another ball powder) on the suggestion of Kirby Allen.
I used 93 gr WC872 behind a 162 amax, and 80 gr. H1000 behind the same bullet in a 7mm STW the results were very obvious.
Please share the results.

After 3 shots with H-1000, the barrel was too hot to hold, after cooling and 3 shots with WC872 the barrel was just warm, thats why I use ball powder in my big jug cartridges!

if your not gonna load to close to max. pressure, ball powder will burn dirtier (if thats a word)

A word of advice with US869 , it needs to run at full pressure or you will be laying a layer of blacktop in your barrel. RL-33 is another carbon maker , it’s also a very good overbore powder that needs to be ran hard.
because RE33 is a ball powder

869 is a ball powder. R-33 is a stick powder. The biggest problem with most ball powders is the temp sensitivity but, as has been mentioned, they tend to foul barrels too. H-1000 is one of the most temp stable slow powders out there and it burns quite clean.

869 is a ball powder. R-33 is a stick powder. The biggest problem with most ball powders is the temp sensitivity but, as has been mentioned, they tend to foul barrels too. H-1000 is one of the most temp stable slow powders out there and it burns quite clean.
wrong, look at the ingredients, if it contains nitrocellulose, it is a single base (also called extruded) powder, if it contains nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin it is a double based or "ball" powder, all RE powders are double based despite the appearance. That is unless things have changed in the last several years when I moved away from Alliant powders.

Back