280 Ackley Ammo ?

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
Well, I couldn't help myself and bought myself a Match Grade Machine barrel for my Encore in 280 AI. This caliber has been on my bucket list of hunting needs for a few years now. I primarily carry my M70 7mm Rem Mag but want to use the Encore as my back up rifle. The problem is I'm getting home just in time to make sure guns are sighted in before hunting season but no time for load work with the new toy. What are my choices in factory ammo to get me by until I have time to load my own? I'd really like to shoot the 160 AccuBond. Is that load available from Nosler? Would be nice to start out reloading with Nosler brass after the season.

YoteSmoker,

It looks as if the 150 grain ETip and the 140 grain AB are available in Nosler Custom Hand-Loaded Ammunition. In Nosler Trophy Grade Ammunition, it looks as if the 140 grain AB and the 160 grain PT are available. I would be comfortable recommended that you take a hard look at either the 160 grain PT or the 150 grain E-Tip. I believe the performance of the E-Tip will meet your expectations.

Randy,

Congratulations on the 280 AI.
Another option would be to order some Nosler brass, pound of RL 22 and some mag primers and load the 160 gr AB.
60.0 grs of RL 22 should get you where you want to be. Proof load 57.0, 58.0 and 59.0 first just to confirm.

JD338

Back