30-06 180 NAB RL26 at 200yd

EastTNHunter

Beginner
May 10, 2017
I took the savage 116 back out again yesterday to run the RL26 load through it again in different conditions and out to 200yd. I ran it fast at 100yd and two shots were almost touching while the third hit about 1 1/4” high. I let it cool and took it out to 100 where I shot 3 slowly, but no real break in between. To say that I am impressed with this powder in my rifle would be an understatement.

642F4F8C-A909-4FDD-B850-30B74772A68F.jpeg

I’m going to try some Federal magnum primers in the load soon, then schedule a trip that has 400 yard capabilities. I think that I’ve found my elk load.

That is an encouraging group. Looks as if that combination of components will work marvellously for you.

Absolutely great. Slowly it is beginning to become my favorite powder

Nice shooting. That combo will be great for elk!

JD338

FOTIS":2tntn7qu said:
Absolutely great. Slowly it is beginning to become my favorite powder

I hear that Fotis. The stuff is amazing. A couple of us have been calling it “Magic Pixie Dust” cause the stuff just seems to work so well in so much.

FOTIS":egr9u9wp said:
I agree man!

What’s funny to me is the density. It fits in cartridges you would’ve never used RL25 in cause you couldn’t get enough in there to be useful. 26 fits and is usually pretty danged quick as well. It was a ripper in my 338 Win with 225’s and 250’s. I would’ve never guessed it worked till I tried it.

Same for the 243, 25-06, 6.5 CM, 6.5 Swede, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 7 Rem, 264 Win, 35 Newton, etc. it likes full psi loads and sorta flops around a bit but once you’re on it, watch out.

That’s getting it done for 200yds. (y) I’m moving away from RL17 and going to RL26 on more calibers now. Next up will be my 30-06 , but I have a lot of currently loaded ammo to use up.

That is great! I sure would like to try some RL26, but I can’t find it anywhere locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang! That's great! RL-26 shinned in my 280 and my brother's -06..Sometime next month I'm having an old, shot out Savage 30-06 re-barreled to 338-06..RL-26 is on my short list of powders.

None locally for me either lately , so I bit the bullet last month and bought a 8lber from Natchez with free shipping coupon code I only had to eat the hazmat. This was actually cheaper than the last time I was able to get it local.

Does anybody know how that powder reacts to change in weather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back