30 06 and superformance powder

tkeveney

Beginner
Dec 22, 2008
Has anyone tested the new hodgdon superformance powder with the 30 06? They are publishing some pretty astonishing results as far as velocity is concerned. I love the 168 bal. Tips for my 06. An extra 100 fps would be cool. I currently get 2850 fps using W 760 powder. They claim to get 2970 fps.

I am just replacing my 270 22" barrel right now with a 30-06 24 " barrel on a Rem M700 and that is the powder i am going to try with 150 and 165 gr Horn SST bullets ! We will see ! :grin: RJ

I watched a video where Craig Boddington shot 165gn Superformance ammo over a chronograph and the reading was something like 2970.

My results with SuperFormance and 168gr BTs was very unnerving. Extreme velocity spread and very inaccurate. I have since read that mag primers are the way to go with this very fine, ball powder. I'm hesitant to re-attempt as there are so many other powders that work well with this cartridge.

You may want to take a look at Ramshot Hunter Powder. I got 2900+ last year with a 165 BT using CCI-250 Mag Primers in my 30-06 with a 22" barrel. :shock: I have not since re-visited those results nor have I shot on paper yet. It intrigued me enough that I soon will revisit that powder.

Don

I have always used magnum primers in all spherical powders. The old guy who taught me to reload swore by that and I just kinda followed his advice. I have never tried standard primers with spherical powder.

I have never used Ramshot powder. Never even heard of it. Do you know who makes it? Is it readily available?

tkeveney":15khamj1 said:
I have never used Ramshot powder. Never even heard of it. Do you know who makes it? Is it readily available?

Ramshot powders are marketed by Western Powders of Montana. There is a great line of powders available through them.

Is 100 fps really going to matter, even at 400 yards, on game?

Load for accuracy & reliability, with reasonable velocity.

FWIW, Guy

tkeveney":ioevyj2b said:

Ramshot Hunter is a very good powder with the .30-06 and .300 WSM in my experience. Usually less expensive than the better known powders, and often available when they're not.

I've messed with it a bit with the 180's & .30-06 and am impressed.

Meters extremely well through the powder measure too.

Regards, Guy

I used it with great results with a Sierra gameking bullet and my .06--I did read somewhere official that the powder was not suitable for use with all bullets. Speed does not always mix well with accuracy, but with superformance and the 165 gameking it was an excellent combo

I just got my 06 back from the Smith - i will be using 65 grs of SUPERFORMANCE -its supposed to be about 3100 fps out of a 24 " - we will see ! :grin: RJ

Since reading your post I've done some testing: I used my brothers rem 700 bdl (it's a lefty aaaagh) and 165 gr AccuBond. Used a load I worked up for that rifle with imr 4350 at 2670fps. Spent the last week working up with superformance. It ended up shooting more accurate but not by much and with a three shot average 2780 fps. Most accurate load was 59.8 grains in rp brass.
That done I used the superformance load with 210m and 215m primers. Can't explain it but magnum primers 50fps slower every time.accuracy a bit off as well.
With h414 I've learned to only use magnum primers--but in my superformance loads the magnum primers were not an improvement. Sometimes it pays to test the data!

As I read this thread I started comparing various powders and velocity data.
While I have, and like my magnums, I'm starting to see that often they don't offer that much more.
How could I reach such a scurrilous conclusion? I'm asking myself that as I type this. Maybe I need to give the pedestrian 30-06 another look.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Now you know why I think the old war horse is "big enough and bad enough." The cartridge was designed to knock down just about anything that walks in North America.

Vince":2alb86u3 said:
As I read this thread I started comparing various powders and velocity data.
While I have, and like my magnums, I'm starting to see that often they don't offer that much more.
How could I reach such a scurrilous conclusion? I'm asking myself that as I type this. Maybe I need to give the pedestrian 30-06 another look.

Yeah Vince, I had the same thoughts and now the 30-06 is my go-to. That baby is fun to shoot.

As for my thoughts for the rest of this thread. I too am interested in results with the Superformance powder vice others. Why you ask?

Superformance is available--all others, especially Ramshot aren't (IMR occasionally). I check for powders every other day and havent' seen any Ramshot available. I'm guessing they have contracts with major ammo manufacturers and haven't caught up w/ the reloader demand yet.

...never tried Superformance in an '06, but I've tried it in .25 WSSM, .25-06, .300 & 325 WSM. Accuracy was good, but I didn't get near the advertised MV's, & the MV's, ES, SD's started to get pretty erratic as I approached max loads w/ the .300 & .325. Just my experience w/ it...

...I kinda, maybe, might almost agree w/ you on the "MagNumbs", but...

...15-20% more powder in the .300 WSM or WM gets you 15-20% more MV/ energy. Past that things start to get a little more interesting, 15% more powder in a .300 WbyM gains you about 3-5% more MV, going to a .30/378 gets you around 8-10% more MV beyond the WSM/ WM, but uses 40% more powder...

wildgene":1famh5vv said:
...never tried Superformance in an '06, but I've tried it in .25 WSSM, .25-06, .300 & 325 WSM. Accuracy was good, but I didn't get near the advertised MV's, & the MV's, ES, SD's started to get pretty erratic as I approached max loads w/ the .300 & .325. Just my experience w/ it...

...I kinda, maybe, might almost agree w/ you on the "MagNumbs", but...

...15-20% more powder in the .300 WSM or WM gets you 15-20% more MV/ energy. Past that things start to get a little more interesting, 15% more powder in a .300 WbyM gains you about 3-5% more MV, going to a .30/378 gets you around 8-10% more MV beyond the WSM/ WM, but uses 40% more powder...
The point of diminishing returns.
I've got my .338 Win Mag so I don't really see a need for another Magnum, for me, but that doesn't mean others don't have a need and I certainly have a desire. [emoji4]

Back