30 cal Sierra 165 SBT's

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
Some family members and I had a range session yesterday. One of the loads I was testing used Sierra 165 SBT's in a 308 using Shooter's Workd Precision Rifle powder. It was fired from a Tikka T3x with a sporter barrel.
These bullets were some made by my son who works at Sierra. It should be noted, these were seconds bought from the Sierra store, not first grade in the green box.

20230917_114058.jpg
Bear in mind I had not used these bullets before, but when I shot them they grouped 2 inches high at 100 yds, exactly where I would have wanted. I can't recall another time when a rifle/ammo combo did this without adjustment.

Ron

That's impressive results. What kind of speed are you getting?

JD338

JD, it was cloudy, so I didn't try to use my chronograph. I'm guessing 2600-2625ish. When I have a chance, I plan to test them to get a velocity to work with.

Ron

JD, it was cloudy, so I didn't try to use my chronograph. I'm guessing 2600-2625ish. When I have a chance, I plan to test them to get a velocity to work with.

Ron
That's a great load, regardless of the speed.
Nice work Ron.

JD338

The 165 Sierra SPBT was one of the first bullets I used when I started hunting with a 30.06.
Somewhere along the line I ended up with several boxes of them and worked up a load for my 308 Ruger Hawkeye.
Recently loaded some up for a hunting buddy who has the identical rifle and while the results with his first try weren’t on par with yours it wasn’t disappointing.

Good shooting on your end.
IMG_1850.jpegIMG_1918.jpeg

Well, I did a fast chrono session tonight after work.
I got velocities of 2655, 2600 and 2555 (in that order). 2603 average,ES of 99.77, SD of 50. The first two velocities are where I anticipated it to be, but not the 100 fps gap. I measured each powder charge before dropping it into a case.

I'm not sure if the chronograph is possessed, if I did something wrong that I'm not realizing, or........

Ron

Last edited:
Well, I did a fast chrono session tonight after work.
I got velocities of 2655, 2600 and 2555 (in that order). 2603 average,ES of 99.77, SD of 50. The first two velocities are where I anticipated it to be, but not the 100 fps gap. I measured each powder charge before dropping it into a case.

I'm not sure if the chronograph is possessed, if I did something wrong that I'm not realizing, or........

Ron
Same brass? Maybe weigh each case.

JD338

What chronograph are you using?
When I made the switch to a Magnetospeed from CE Prochrono , I believe in the results I’m getting now.

JD, it was all Remington brass in the original box from the 90's.

338, it's a Shooting Chrony. Nothing fancy or elaborate.

JD, it was all Remington brass in the original box from the 90's.

338, it's a Shooting Chrony. Nothing fancy or elaborate.
It still would be interesting to weigh the brass.

JD338

Back