300 jazz

usmc 89

Handloader
Jun 10, 2011
Am building a new rifle chambered in .300 jazz "improved 300 norma with a 30° shoulder" Nathan from SSG was kind enough to rent my smith his reamer and make me some dies. This we be built on a defiance deviant action ising a benchmark barrel "normally use bartlein but won this at a match and heard good things about them so I will give them a go" 1-9 heavy palma barrel. AICS 2.0 chassis jewell trigger and a schmidt/bender 5-25 pmII.
This will mimic the other two match rifles i have already. I will be running the 230 grain berger hybrid for a bullet. This should be done in a week or so and i will give updates as to how it shoots. Looking to break my current distance record on an antelope with it. This should have the capacity to get the 230 past the 3000 fps mark, my standard 300 would do 2940 when stepped on. Should be interesting anyway.

It certainly sounds like an interesting project. I will be watching for what you wring out of it.

Jeff, your a nut! Man, your list of ultra cool LR range rounds is very distinguished and you keep smashing your own record!

Can't wait to see it. I am pretty sure it'll be just as awesome as all of your builds.

I just talked to Dave Kiff at PTG yesterday about a .30-338 Norma Imp. reamer with a 35 degree shoulder. The 338 Norma has a larger shoulder dimension and he said it would be better than a .300 Norma as a base.

Good luck with the build.

I see, I guess we will need to get together and prove his theory. when will yours be done?

I'm not sure. He was suppose to send me a copy of the print to approve yesterday and I never got it. So I get to call him today again. They said 4-6 week for a reamer. I have the rest of the parts here already.

Nice, I heard the 4-6 weeks on the 22x47 lapua reamer when i ordered it also, good luck. what components are you using for the build?

I have a TAC338 action and a Rem. 700 with a PTG bolt for actions. I have a Bartlein 10 twist HV barrel, Jewell trigger, and either a Zeiss HD5 5x25 or a Nightforce for a scope. I have several hundred of the 230 target bullets too.

I see, sounds like it will work well. I am not sure what he meant by the .338 would be better? I was under the understanding the dimensions were the same sans neck diameter? And if your changing the shoulder to 35° wouldnt that be done in the fireforming process??? I have a bunch of the 230 hybrids left over from the previous 300 norma build but I will see what the 215 will yield in regards to velocity, that may be the ticket also.

Its relatively new and using a larger .338 lapua case head alot of people will pass. This will do the same thing as a .300 ultra in a shorter case. I went with the 30° version to reduce the trimming aspect and have also have had extremely good luck with that shoulder angle in the 22x47, 6x47, 6.5x47 and the .284 win. The jazz should be done at the end of next week.

I imagine it is going to crank Jeff. Do you need a bigger action to handle the Norma, sorta like the Lapua?

I am using a defiance deviant with the 700 long action profile, it has a .750 bolt in it other than that its pretty much the same in regards to profile. It has the integrated recoil lug, rail, and one piece bolt. I bought another deviant for my 6x47 the other day also.

usmc 89":wb3metkt said:
I am using a defiance deviant with the 700 long action profile, it has a .750 bolt in it other than that its pretty much the same in regards to profile. It has the integrated recoil lug, rail, and one piece bolt. I bought another deviant for my 6x47 the other day also.

Sorry for my lack of knowing Jeff, but could you use a regular M700 or Model 70 action to build a Norma? I imagine the Defiance is a pretty stout action to house that round.

You can use a standard 700 action Scott. Remington makes a .338 Lapua on the 700 action. Most gunsmiths don't recommend it though as it makes the bolt nose very thin and the actions aren't nearly as tough as the Defiance for example.

Got ya. Makes sense. I was wondering if the regular actions had enough beef for the 300 Norma.

Nathan is right, the remington will "work" but there are better actions out there. Defiance and bat both make a 700 footprint lapua action, they also run an integrated recoil lug that the barrel shank threads through and they also use a larger bolt body.

The jazz will be done and picked up this weekend, still waiting on a jewell trigger to show up. I also picked up a applied ballistics kestrel, will let you know how they both work when i get them online.

Maybe I'm missing something..... Isn't the 300 and 358 Norma both basically necked up and down 338 win mag? I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't think they will fit in a standard magnum action.

I know that the 30/338 win was popular because target shooters could seat longer bullets out of the shorter case to free up internal capacity and still use standard length magazines.

Thebear_78":3ljc2sfp said:
Maybe I'm missing something..... Isn't the 300 and 358 Norma both basically necked up and down 338 win mag? I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't think they will fit in a standard magnum action.

I know that the 30/338 win was popular because target shooters could seat longer bullets out of the shorter case to free up internal capacity and still use standard length magazines.

The 300 Norma (103.00 grains case capacity) is a new round. It is basically a shortened 338 Lapua case. It has quite a bit more space than the older 308 Norma Magnum (86.5 grains case capacity).

It is a hammer of a 308..

Back